Update #102: The Small Harvest, The White March - Part II, and Update 2.03

Is pumpkin head mode reliant on the game being updated to 2.03? If so, then GOG version players will probably miss it because it won't be on GOG by the 31st. :/

I just checked and the patch isn't on GOG yet.

Edit: I just read Brandon's post from the "Update 2.03 is Live" thread. It should be on GOG within the day.

I was informed by GOG that the update should be live on their side.

Wait, will WM2 have underwater areas ?

If that's so than it will be awesome!

If it does, I do hope it is done properly.

Meaning, anything fire related no longer function.

Spells of electric nature act like fireballs would by spreading out through the water.

Movement speed is halved.

Attack damage is dropped due to lack of proper movement.

One of the old Gold Box games had underwater regions, and everything got flipped around. It really made for a new experience.

And will Pumpkinhead be available on November 1st?

And THIS!

"Using store filters now only shows the appropriate items instead of graying out other items in the store panel."

The graying out is very annoying. I'm glad to read that clicking the appropriate item will only display those items the merchant has to offer.

Technically, pumkinhead mode only works on specific days. So, you could just change your system clock if you want more pumpkinhead fun.

• Like 2

We still aren't ready to give many details about the second part of The White March, but the team wanted to share some of the cool work that they have been doing with the backers...

"with the backers"?

Are there still outstanding backer rewards from the PE Kickstarter, or does this refer to something else?

px2-unique-armor-helm-580.jpg

Love it.

I turned off helmet visibility for most of my characters with the cheat console, but for this I think I'll have to turn it on again... :)

Could have been worded better. I meant that the dev team wanted to share the cool stuff they were doing, with the backers.

We love all of our backers equally. =)

Seems to me that the Windows backers get more love than the Mac OS & Linux ones:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72520-cloaks-are-not-shown-on-characterlinux/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71859-mac-os-x-no-capescloaks/

It’s been reported six months ago, and still nothing to see…

There isn't much we can do about this.

We are using Shroud for our cloth simulation. At the time we were implementing it, it worked on Windows and Mac. We thought it would also be available for Linux before we shipped the game.

Unfortunately, the Linux port of Shroud didn't come through and there was a bug on Mac that was causing some pretty severe issues that we couldn't fix.

The only thing we could do in time was to disable cloaks on Linux and Mac.

We were investigating switching our cloth simulation, but it isn't a small change and could dredge up a lot of bugs for us.

Our apologies to our Mac and Linux fans.

• Like 2

Would be cool to see some more in-depth stuff about the making of the expansion. Many of these updates are just sort of a news post with the latest goings on which is mostly old news for those of us following the game.

It'd be nice to get some behind the scenes stuff again, though I obviously understand it demands more effort and time to do.

There is actually a different reason why the updates have slowed down when it comes to expansion content.

The White March doesn't have anywhere near the amount of new content that the base game does. This means that when we show an area or a new creature, we are actually showing a larger portion of the game to everyone. We have to keep some stuff under wraps for you guys. =)

Talking about our creation process might be more fruitful, but I am not sure what you guys may want to hear about.

What suggestions would you have for future updates?

Yep, my PoE copy updated. So, GOG can work fast when they have to ;)

I know you were just being facetious, but to defend GOG a bit, the lag in updates is usually because we have to redeliver a build to them because of a last minute change. It causes them to have to redo their QA and patching process.

Because they are on Polish time and we are on California time it can mean a healthy lag in the updates.

Luckily we didn't have to do any last minute changes with this update so they were able to get it out a few hours after we launched on Steam.

• Like 1

Would be cool to see some more in-depth stuff about the making of the expansion. Many of these updates are just sort of a news post with the latest goings on which is mostly old news for those of us following the game.

It'd be nice to get some behind the scenes stuff again, though I obviously understand it demands more effort and time to do.

There is actually a different reason why the updates have slowed down when it comes to expansion content.

The White March doesn't have anywhere near the amount of new content that the base game does. This means that when we show an area or a new creature, we are actually showing a larger portion of the game to everyone. We have to keep some stuff under wraps for you guys. =)

Talking about our creation process might be more fruitful, but I am not sure what you guys may want to hear about.

Yeah, I definitely understand that. Personally I'd be happy with just a video where one talks a bit about... I dunno, the sorta initial brainstorming perhaps, if there's a particular design goal for that part of the expansion, any particular things the team wanted to improve upon and why and so forth.

I don't really need any super in-depth stuff (like you say, I want to be unspoiled) but it'd just be great to have a very "high level design talk" without going into specifics too much. Maybe talk with Justin Bell to see what he wants to accomplish with the score, the artists discussing how they've improved... and so on and so forth.

Not sure if that's too vague but...

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, I definitely understand that. Personally I'd be happy with just a video where one talks a bit about... I dunno, the sorta initial brainstorming perhaps, if there's a particular design goal for that part of the expansion, any particular things the team wanted to improve upon and why and so forth.

I don't really need any super in-depth stuff (like you say, I want to be unspoiled) but it'd just be great to have a very "high level design talk" without going into specifics too much. Maybe talk with Justin Bell to see what he wants to accomplish with the score, the artists discussing how they've improved... and so on and so forth.

Not sure if that's too vague but...

I'll talk to everyone and see what we can whip up.

• Like 3

Yep, my PoE copy updated. So, GOG can work fast when they have to wink.png

I know you were just being facetious, but to defend GOG a bit, the lag in updates is usually because we have to redeliver a build to them because of a last minute change. It causes them to have to redo their QA and patching process.

Because they are on Polish time and we are on California time it can mean a healthy lag in the updates.

Luckily we didn't have to do any last minute changes with this update so they were able to get it out a few hours after we launched on Steam.

Thanks, that's interesting to know.

Regarding questions on TWM2 - I'm really interested in how your process of preparing combat encounters for the player has evolved. I'm sure I saw a big improvement in that aspect once I entered TWM's areas. Enemies' actions seem more varied, they use abilities, form a back line/front line. I'd be curious to hear more about the process, and if it's all down to the AI or is there some custom scripting involved for some encounters.

In addition, I saw a return of a practice I remember from the BG games, of giving context to combat encounter through the area's design, so that it's not just a bunch of enemies placed in a room. It's small things like that, that really improve my experience. I mean things like enemies chatting just prior to noticing the player and switching to combat mode, etc. So, how come this trend started in TWM? Was it due to you guys being able to devote more time to details like this, was it something you noticed was lacking in the game so it became a policy to additionally flesh out encounters?

Finally, regarding areas and dungeons. Knowing that Cilant Lis was among the last areas you did, and seeing it's one of the best in the game, I had high hopes for the area design in TWM, and this expectation was certainly confirmed. How did your process improve, tell us about the lessons you learned from working on the base game.

Thanks! :)

• Like 4

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

We love all of our backers equally. =)

Seems to me that the Windows backers get more love than the Mac OS & Linux ones:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72520-cloaks-are-not-shown-on-characterlinux/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71859-mac-os-x-no-capescloaks/

It’s been reported six months ago, and still nothing to see…

There isn't much we can do about this.

We are using Shroud for our cloth simulation. At the time we were implementing it, it worked on Windows and Mac. We thought it would also be available for Linux before we shipped the game.

Unfortunately, the Linux port of Shroud didn't come through and there was a bug on Mac that was causing some pretty severe issues that we couldn't fix.

The only thing we could do in time was to disable cloaks on Linux and Mac.

We were investigating switching our cloth simulation, but it isn't a small change and could dredge up a lot of bugs for us.

Our apologies to our Mac and Linux fans.

Hi

I really appreciate that there is an official statement about this, so that we dont need to wait anymore.

BAdler have you thought about contacting the team of Numenera, I mean they also do their game on Unity - they may have ran into the same issues (or are about to do so).

If its too big of an buzz for one team, cant you share work and also share the resulting codebase for this cloak implementation? (I dont mean to open-source it, just sharing between the two teams).

Would be cool if you guys find a way to get the job done anyways and then two games would benefit from this...

• Like 2