Update 2.03 is Live

Is the final version also released to those participating in the beta branch (Steam)? Or do I have to leave the beta branch to receive it?

Edited by Nicholas Steel

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

Is the final version also released to those participating in the beta branch (Steam)? Or do I have to leave the beta branch to receive it?

As far as I can tell, the version that was pushed live was the same as the latest beta. That said, I'd still recommend leaving the beta branch because it's very likely that any hotfix wouldn't be pushed on there. Also, while The White March Pt.II is seemingly still a long ways off, people (including me, for what it's worth) have had bugs resulting from installing an expansion on top of the beta branch.

Tl;dr -> it's better to only enter the beta branch once a new patch is published there and leave it once it goes live for everyone, saves you a lot of potential hassles

i think that guy is blowing things out of proportion. Sure, some of the immunities may be superfluous, and yes, a lot of them only serve to HIGHLIGHT how LACKLUSTER a few of some of the martial classes' abilities are, but like AndreaColombo says: it only means CC isn't an I WIN strategy 100% of the time.

Now you'll be more obligated to utilize those OTHER druid, wizard, priest and cipher spells people rarely use. I for one am thoroughly enjoying a brand-new PotD 2.03 playthrough i started today and REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoying NOT casting Slicken on every battle. I LOVE not-casting slicken. 10/10 would not-cast slicken again!!

Meh. Immunities make sense and add a layer of tactical depth when you have to play around them. When, depending on your party of choice, the answer might well be "just stand there and auto-attack some more" they have virtually no value. 

In PoE, they feel tacked on. The system was neither conceived nor balanced with immunities in mind, and it shows.

The answer to, say,  "my fighter's knockdown doesn't work on half the enemies in the game!" should be "then play or build him differently", not "just choose another class, one which comes with actual options". 

Such changes, IMHO, should only be introduced as options ( maybe tying them to an achievement, like second-wave options in x-com ).

Want to play with immunities? Cool, toggle them on, get a cool achievement when you finish the game and knock yourself out failing to trip stuff.

Me, I'd rather keep using the few options my martials can get.

Edited by Njall

Again, Knock Down gives +20% damage besides the Prone effect. Fighters can effectively get 5 attacks per encounter at +20% damage as of 2.03, which is pretty good for a class whose main thing is melee one-on-one. CC was never a Fighter's job in the first place; just a nice little bonus.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Again, Knock Down gives +20% damage besides the Prone effect. Fighters can effectively get 5 attacks per encounter at +20% damage as of 2.03, which is pretty good for a class whose main thing is melee one-on-one. CC was never a Fighter's job in the first place; just a nice little bonus.

Nah, that's +20% additive damage, twice per battle. It's strictly inferior to, say, savage attack, a generic talent that's always on.

It amounts to like 10 damage/encounter if you're using a two hander.

That's hardly "good". 

Knocking down stuff was the only option they got in combat. Without it, they're stuck auto attacking 'till they're blue in the face.

Edited by Njall

I don't think the comparison between Knock Down and Savage Attack is particularly adept—they're separate, they stack, and nothing prevents a Fighter from using them simultaneously for a +40% total damage bonus.

The fact that knocking enemies Prone was the exception, rather than the rule, proves my point: Fighters are a class for one-on-one melee combat. Vulgarly, auto-attacking. They are the low-maintenance class par excellence. Their every ability revolves around making their attacks stronger with but a few exceptions, which include Knock Down (and with the +20% damage bonus, now even Knock Down adds to their attacks on top having an additional effect.) Sure, it's nice to knock enemies prone but that's not what makes Fighters worthwhile or tips the fight in their favor. When my Fighters hits for 50 average damage a swing, has 10 DR bypass and her recovery lasts only 15 frames, I don't really care if my enemy doesn't fall to the ground with a Knock Down; they're going to die really fast anyway.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't think the comparison between Knock Down and Savage Attack is particularly adept—they're separate, they stack, and nothing prevents a Fighter from using them simultaneously for a +40% total damage bonus.

The fact that knocking enemies Prone was the exception, rather than the rule, proves my point: Fighters are a class for one-on-one melee combat. Vulgarly, auto-attacking. They are the low-maintenance class par excellence. Their every ability revolves around making their attacks stronger with but a few exceptions, which include Knock Down (and with the +20% damage bonus, now even Knock Down adds to their attacks on top having an additional effect.) Sure, it's nice to knock enemies prone but that's not what makes Fighters worthwhile or tips the fight in their favor. When my Fighters hits for 50 average damage a swing, with 10 DR bypass and a 15-frame recovery, I don't really care if my enemy doesn't fall to the ground with a Knock Down; they're going to die really fast anyway.

Uh, no? Knockdown was supposed to provide an option for those who like the archetype of fighters but want to spice it up a bit and do more than auto-attack.

Now that option is gone. Less variety=bad.

Also "well, you can still rock without it" isn't a great counterpoint. My point isn't that fighters aren't viable now, it's that a class which was severly lacking in variety to begin with just lost another option.

Edited by Njall
  • Like 2

i think that guy is blowing things out of proportion. Sure, some of the immunities may be superfluous, and yes, a lot of them only serve to HIGHLIGHT how LACKLUSTER a few of some of the martial classes' abilities are, but like AndreaColombo says: it only means CC isn't an I WIN strategy 100% of the time.

Now you'll be more obligated to utilize those OTHER druid, wizard, priest and cipher spells people rarely use. I for one am thoroughly enjoying a brand-new PotD 2.03 playthrough i started today and REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoying NOT casting Slicken on every battle. I LOVE not-casting slicken. 10/10 would not-cast slicken again!!

I am still casting it on my new playthrough of potd for most fights slicken is still a win button. In the boss fights dragons etc in lategame we can always spam multiple wall of fire/wall of force with high interrupt whigh the turtle paladin is just spanking the dragon to the face. That guy is definitely blowing things out of proportion I think he is just ranting for the sake of it since Adra is doable without any kind of hard cc one just needs a balanced party with 1-2 tough frontliners.

edit: The changes on fighter are a bit lackluster though if we compare it to the buff the paladins recieved previously, I would still run paladin as my main turtle frontliner and maybe adding a turtle chanter with lash and dot. I still cannot see what fighter would offer vs sacred immolation + accuracy aura + lay on hands or vs chanters fire lash + slash/fire aoe dot. Perhaps if they made clearout per encounter and provided fighter with some "brute fore and cleave feats/abilities"...

Edited by Vorad

Well if slicken was that overpowered, don't use it? For my past 2 playthrough and this current one, I have not been casting slicken. Not the best arguement I know, but it seems that with slicken ppl are saying like they were "forced" to use it...

Anywho, I almost solely use fighter's knockdown to target kith spellcasters (for the hard interruption to spellcast) and for now, those are still effective. Maybe the occasional cc to help another char who is taking too much heat to move away without triggering disengagment. With the buff to disciplined barrage, maybe slightly more so (I always use disciplined barrage before activating knockdown). Otherwise, Im using knockdown because there is nothing better to activate lol... PoE is one of those games that has very good replay value imo, so in that vein I generally don't like to see things that take away variety and options. But whatever, it's done so just make the best of it.

Edited by mosspit

i have great trouble not using an optimal ability. it's a psychological thing. it's why my last potd playthroughs are sans-Aloth. i started hating myself for clicking slicken every encounter like some rote, banal boring automaton. :)

btw, comparing fighter's +20% dmg bonus on their knock down to... whu, savage attack? lol what man.

i think sawyer was almost on the PERFECT track here with the damage bonus to knockdown except for one crucial mistake; he didn't make knockdown a full-attack. If it was a full-attack, like the rogue strikes, it would apply the +20% dmg while dual-wielding, and this would be a relatively balanced way of making fighters take a more offensive role and giving them a bit more active flair, if you will. it would also make the knockdown ability indisputably useful to the fighter, instead of just "meh, it's aight".

let's campaign to make it a full attack instead of a primary atk! yeah! wee. or not. game is quite fine as is right now, IMO.

So previously, you had the choice to use slicken because you can but OP so it's bad. You can avoid using it but requires self control so it's still bad. And now, you will not use it against prone-immune critters so it's good?

Isn't the end result the same, aka not using it? Well technically you can use it on prone-immune critters and see "immune" pop up just for giggles :)

I acknowledge that lack of self control can be problem. But I can't agree that it forms the basis for the decision for cc immunity, especially since slicken doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's a psychological thing :p

btw, comparing fighter's +20% dmg bonus on their knock down to... whu, savage attack? lol what man.

Well, you know... 20% additive damage is 20% additive damage no matter how you frame it. 

Whenever you're fighting something that's immune to knockdown ( and there's plenty of opponents who are... dragons, oozes, blights, drakes, spirits... just to name a few... ) that's all the ability amounts to ( except it's twice per battle instead of being always up ).

Regardless, I'm not suggesting the two are even remotely comparable, I was addressing the point that the ability is still useful even when you're fighting something that's immune to knockdown because it got a damage upgrade (which is minimal, really ).

(...)

There has been two versions of the GOG installer for the Linux version of 2.02, if it’s the same for the Windows version and you missed one, I guess you’re stuck re-downloading the game...

Sorry for that, please don’t shoot the messenger wink.png

Well the terminology confuses me to begin with - what exactly is the "installer" they are talking about? The only installer I can find reference to is attached to the GOG downloader - I have made every update so far from 2.01 to 2.02 and now the only option shown is 2.03 (there is no longer any option to get previous updates) and why would one of the patches work while the other says I have the wrong version?????? 

Meanwhile I have the DVD version installed on my laptop and it's stuck on 2.01 with no access to white march so I'm beginning to feel a bit annoyed... :(

I have the exact same problem. Did you find a way to fix it?

By the way, in the previous patch you got someone else's file to fix a issue while upgrading as well? I did...maybe you did too and this could be why the patch doesnt work. 

(...)

There has been two versions of the GOG installer for the Linux version of 2.02, if it’s the same for the Windows version and you missed one, I guess you’re stuck re-downloading the game...

Sorry for that, please don’t shoot the messenger wink.png

Well the terminology confuses me to begin with - what exactly is the "installer" they are talking about? The only installer I can find reference to is attached to the GOG downloader - I have made every update so far from 2.01 to 2.02 and now the only option shown is 2.03 (there is no longer any option to get previous updates) and why would one of the patches work while the other says I have the wrong version?????? 

Meanwhile I have the DVD version installed on my laptop and it's stuck on 2.01 with no access to white march so I'm beginning to feel a bit annoyed... :(

I have the exact same problem. Did you find a way to fix it?

By the way, in the previous patch you got someone else's file to fix a issue while upgrading as well? I did...maybe you did too and this could be why the patch doesnt work. 

If you mean the DVD issue - then no - we are just waiting for them to get it done.

If it's the GOG - "wrong version" issue I had  then yes - I had to go the the GOG downloader page (under "MORE" on the pillars page) and download and install the GOG Windows Installer - I have very slow download speeds so it took about 12 hours for me but once done and installed I was up to date (I had already successfully installed the 2.03 WM patch) - good luck!

Edited by wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I think I've never casted Slicken yet in my two playthroughs. Granted, I never kept Aloth for long. I'm just using buffs, auto-attacks, healing, and some CC here and there for funsies. Playing on Hard.

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

Stats and terms you can highlight in the character sheet and tooltips are now grey colored instead of red. Doesn't really affect anything but it is pretty annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

We were in the middle of tuning things when the patch went out. My fault. It will be a darker color that's easier on the eyes in the next patch. As part of an effort to make spell descriptions easier to read, we now tint stats that are getting a bonus in green, and penalized stats in red. This is why the tint color for text that is attached to a hover state (previously red) was shifted to a neutral color.

• Like 1

^ Did you try Colorblind Mode?

I did and it helps , was just replying to Kaz about his statement

making spell discriptions easier to read ...using  green and red ......

Stats and terms you can highlight in the character sheet and tooltips are now grey colored instead of red. Doesn't really affect anything but it is pretty annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

We were in the middle of tuning things when the patch went out. My fault. It will be a darker color that's easier on the eyes in the next patch. As part of an effort to make spell descriptions easier to read, we now tint stats that are getting a bonus in green, and penalized stats in red. This is why the tint color for text that is attached to a hover state (previously red) was shifted to a neutral color.

Guess Colorblind mode should also alter the color scheme in descriptions, if it is to do its job. Hopefully they'll keep it in mind :)