Update 2.03 is Live

Recent update via steam triggered (Norton Internet Security) File Insight reports ' galaxy.dll ' with threat ' Suspicious.Cloud.9.B ' I believe this to be a false positive, you may want to contact Symantec about it the library file is from ' pillarsofeternity_data \ plugins '

File Thumbprint - SHA:
fd10f9fb92542b708959e8d33a807934eb1fa40c222d3d9361bbf94f123dabb1

A vast majority of the immunities are towards sickened, poison, frightened, terrified, charmed, confused and dominated. The ones that do have them are mostly undead, constructs, ghosts, blights, oozes and vithrack.

The big three dragons have them too, with each dragon being immune to one of the big three ailments. Sky is immune to blind, Adra is immune to petrify, Alpine is immune to paralyze (Uh oh!).

I bought The White March Pt1 but I don't have time to play.

Yesterday I launch the game ... and it's beautiful ! Even more beautiful than my 110hours spent on the basic version.

Really congratulations to Obsidian for the good job done.

I long to have enough time to immerse myself (with White March 1 & 2 I hope I'll like to play them two together).

• Like 2

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Sigh... downloaded both patches from GOG - White March patch worked - the other patch (2.6.0.12) tells me this patch does not support your version of the game please download a new installer... :banghead:

Please tell me this is not saying I need to redownload the whole freakin game again

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

(...)

There has been two versions of the GOG installer for the Linux version of 2.02, if it’s the same for the Windows version and you missed one, I guess you’re stuck re-downloading the game...

Sorry for that, please don’t shoot the messenger wink.png

Well the terminology confuses me to begin with - what exactly is the "installer" they are talking about? The only installer I can find reference to is attached to the GOG downloader - I have made every update so far from 2.01 to 2.02 and now the only option shown is 2.03 (there is no longer any option to get previous updates) and why would one of the patches work while the other says I have the wrong version?????? 

Meanwhile I have the DVD version installed on my laptop and it's stuck on 2.01 with no access to white march so I'm beginning to feel a bit annoyed... :(

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Big heads are not working on GOG. I'm on version 2.03. When I enable checkbox for big heads mode and apply the change, nothing happens at all.

I stand corrected. It only works if this setting is changed from the main menu. It does not have any effect from in-game menu.

Recent update via steam triggered (Norton Internet Security) File Insight reports ' galaxy.dll ' with threat ' Suspicious.Cloud.9.B ' I believe this to be a false positive, you may want to contact Symantec about it the library file is from ' pillarsofeternity_data \ plugins '

File Thumbprint - SHA:

fd10f9fb92542b708959e8d33a807934eb1fa40c222d3d9361bbf94f123dabb1

Do yourself a big favor and get rid of Norton's...no, it's not better just because you paid for it, unfortunately.  People don't realize that most of the so-called AV-program "comparisons" available on the web are sponsored by a pay-for-your-AV-software company--and of course they enjoy presenting results that cast the free AV programs in a poor light.  I go by experience, and frankly, I started using Defender long ago (when you had to buy it--it was called Microsoft Security Essentials then--or maybe just "Security Essentials" as I started using it before Microsoft bought the company) and I've used it for many years if not a decade or more, and in its present form, as Defender, standard in Win10, the program is superb. When those times come up that I do run into a nasty Defender nails it instantly.  It's been great in that regard.

But here's the great thing about Defender: you can kiss false positives like this away!  I don't think I've ever had one with MSE/Defender--at least that I can recall.  It is extremely effective and quick with real nasties, as I mentioned.  The other dividend is that of them all Defender has absolutely the lightest resource footprint and is by far the least invasive.  I've seen systems with McAfee's or AVG or Norton's that are slow as molasses and themselves cause problems with other programs.  Just thought I'd pass it on...'Course, if you like false positives then I guess Defender is not for you... ;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I have a couple of questions.

1.  How big is the download appx?  I'll be using Steam.  Steam doesn't tell you how big something is BEFORE it starts the process.

2.  If I don't download this update now, will WM2 include any updates since 2.02?

Obsidian releases seperate patches for the base game and for TWM pt. 1 on GoG, which means users are currently playing either PoE 2.03, or PoE + TWM1 2.03.

A Steam user with only the base game will have their game auto-updated to 2.03, same as a Steam user with the expansion pack.

Although no official word is out on the next patches, Sawyer mentioned that they're working on TWM pt. 2's content which includes patch 3.0 and that big changes will roll out with the 3.0 patch like Spell Mastery replacing Per-Encounter spells. Changes like the aforementioned spell mastery affect the base game and the expansions, obviously, so expect a base game patch 3.0, a base game + TWM pt. 1 patch 3.0, AND a third 3.0 patch for users with both expansion packs.

Steam users should not need to worry about seperate patching, as that is one of the systems main features: taking care of that sort of stuff for the player. Galaxy client for GoG is supposed to do the same thing as Steam, but GoG is less experienced in this and the process isn't as smooth as with the Steam client.

One downside for Steam users is that their patches are much bigger in size than GoG users, as they have to include all variable data through the client. I *imagine* patch 3.0 for base game only players will be quite big, probably more than 1 gigabyte; for Steam users each patch will always be big, as the data isn't split into seperate patches like on GoG.

TWM pt. 1 shipped with patch 2.0, and the base game 2.0 patch rolled out the same day for GoG users. The GoG 2.0 patch for the base game was around 200-300 MB's, whereas Steam users with only the base game had to download an 800 MB-ish 2.0 update if memory serves, even though the user in this example didn't own the expansion pack.

Edited by aweigh0101

Eh.... that was.... confusing.  Are you saying the steam patch is only about 300 megs?  That's doable.  The previous patch was a lot more than that....

I should probably explain.  My only "broadband" connection is wildblue satband.  I'm severely limited as to download bw - SEVERELY.  So things in the vicinity of several gigs - well.... it's not a good thing.  A few hundred megs.... it's okay.  More or less.  I live 40 miles from the nearest "real" broadband - but in order to have that service extended here, over 1k of us would have to pony up $2.5k US.  Well.... there are only a hundred of us who live here, and I'm the ONLY one who plays games so would be willing (and able...) to pay.  So it's not happening in my lifetime....

And no - the other few people who live here do not have any interest in streaming etc.  If they did they'd do so where they live "full time".  Which is NOT here.

Steam updates will be incrementally bigger in size because of the unified patching that accounts for all player variables (whether the Steam player owns expansion packs or not)

TWM 1 shipped with patch 2.0 and Steam users that bought it had to download a 2-3 GB update (the XP + patch 2.0)

patches 2.1, 2.2 and now 2.3 are each 500-1.5 GB's in size because they have to take into account expansion pack data regardless of whether or not the steam user owns the XP's.

Sawyer said TWM 2 will ship with patch 3.0, and that this is probably the next update now after patch 2.3. Rumored release time-frames from TWM 2 are February-May 2016, but they are just rumors.

So yeah, buying TWM pt. 2 over Steam will include the most recent patch, 3.0, and it will be a huge download.

I don't know if there will be physical discs of PoE expansion packs, perhaps thru Amazon or what have you, which could be bought and installed and thus not have to download huge updates for the 3.0 patch. That could be worth looking into perhaps.

Edited by aweigh0101
  • Like 1

@Oralaina - To upgrade to 2.03 through Steam, it downloaded 1.8gigs of data for me. I also have The White March.

Ugh.  Thanks, I appreciate the info.

There are reasons I live where I do - the cleanest air and water in the lower 48, the cheapest power.... and NO NEIGHBORS.  But damn.... also no unlimited data.  Well, at the least, I'll live to 120 because of the local environment....

Of course, because of the way husband has "managed" things.... I won't have the money to eat or play games....

*SIGH*

@aweigh0101:

I wish there were physical disks.  I'd be perfectly happy to wait a while to play, if the latest content was available on physical media.  Of course I'd love to just download/stream/play whatever whenever - but I can't.  The situation I have is not only NOT optimal - it's the ONLY one I have .  And it costs me $90 US a month.

I'm literally a prisoner of where I live, when it comes to the internet.

Edited by Oralaina

^ I'm sure someone from the U.S. could burn updates on a disc and ship it your way?

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Knock Down gives +20% damage besides the Prone effect. I wouldn't say its effectiveness is in question; more like "Slicken" is not an insta-win button anymore.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The latest Pillars of Eternity Update, 2.03, is now live on Steam. It will be live on GOG and Origin within the day,

You can find the update notes here.

The associated backer update will be released shortly.

I somehow got the idea that the 2.03 patch was a beta...don't know how.  But I guess it isn't.  That's fine--I was expecting a 2.02.xxx non-beta patch first, I suppose. I'm getting off track with these betas... ;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

? 2.02 non-beta has been out for a while.

@ Anaeme

The guy you're quoting is stating that knockdown hasn't effectively changed; not that it's effectiveness is in question.  Also, the way this person has built his fighter, by dumping Intelligence, makes any abilities like Knockdown pretty useless.  If you build a DPS fighter with high Intelligence, it's easy to crit Knockdowns for 10+ seconds.  Combine the -10 deflection from prone, with + 15 from Disciplined Barrage, and you're looking at 3-4 attacks with a 2-hander with a +25 attack.  That likely means at least 2 additional criticals.  Most enemies won't get up from that.

Edited by curryinahurry

i think that guy is blowing things out of proportion. Sure, some of the immunities may be superfluous, and yes, a lot of them only serve to HIGHLIGHT how LACKLUSTER a few of some of the martial classes' abilities are, but like AndreaColombo says: it only means CC isn't an I WIN strategy 100% of the time.

Now you'll be more obligated to utilize those OTHER druid, wizard, priest and cipher spells people rarely use. I for one am thoroughly enjoying a brand-new PotD 2.03 playthrough i started today and REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoying NOT casting Slicken on every battle. I LOVE not-casting slicken. 10/10 would not-cast slicken again!!