Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing

nathler

Lets be honest there hasn't been a decent vampire game from the IP. I found the hunter games to be the most fun followed by redemption then bloodlines. Bloodlines a lot of people tend to like but I still remember the horror of the bugs and steam engine annoyances  after the game was released and the garbage combat. Your game can have a great story but if it has huge glaring flaws... Well I'm not surprised bloodlines was a financial failure.

I can't help but feel sour that there's finally the chance of an Obsidian developed World of Darkness game and it happens so soon after Avellone leaves the company.

Goddammit.

• Like 4

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

ok, now i am soooooooooooo hyped.....

btw, i think requiem is mechanically superior (quite a bit actually) to masquerade, but the latter just has this whole cool backstory and metaplot that i like a lot, somehow the old version just had more "soul" in i a way, can't help it

It's probably because of the characters in VtMB. They all have this unique personality and character to them, it's quite extraordinary. I don't know if it's the voice acting or the writing itself, but VtMB is an achievement when it comes to how to make NPCs feel like actual characters and not just models that **** out quests.

I think he was talking about the PnP game.

I bought all the VtM sourcebooks because I was a huge fan of the lore behind Vampire. Only played one game of it though. Got the books shortly before graduation and everyone moved away.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

IMO nothing special. I never was a fan of VtM... one of few RPGs i did not play past first 2-3h... just could not... i do not know why. i guess just not my cup of tea

Bloodlines' beginning is quite buggy without patches, which can hinder quite much how enjoyable one's experience to play the game is.

I think that you meant VtM: Bloodlines, but to be on the safe side. VtM itself is system that needs good game master and hopefully character players that are into storytelling systems and whose humor and style you loe as otherwise gaming sessions can become bit boring as its mechanics aren't that exciting.

• Like 1

Since we've been spoiled by high camera/isometric view rpg's as of late, I don't know if I can go back to first person or over-the-shoulder camera view games anymore.

Hope Paradox (or Obsidian) doesn't buck this trend and decide to go 3D like the old days.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This is really a great news.
I am very happy for this development and can even say this is the best thing in gaming since Kickstarting of a new Torment game. Yay!

For me, best three cRPGs are: Torment, Kotor 2 and Bloodlines. And of course, my favorite P&P settings is WOD (especially Werewolf The Apocalypse). That's why I am crazy right now.

Please create new VTM Bloodlines game. It may not be called as Bloodlines 2, but it should have similar city atmosphere, gameplay, theatrical NPCs, intelligent dialog options and deep varied stories like the Bloodlines. The game should be made by Jason D. Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, Tim Cain, Kevin D. Saunders, George Ziets, Chris Avellone all together. Bloodlines was a buggy game, but I am sure each player who played that game loved it. It really deserves a unified development between Paradox, Obsidian and inXile. Source Engine 2.0 would be sweet, like the original Bloodlines did, however I don't expect Valve will give us any new Source Engine, but Unreal Engine 4 probably may work too.

And I think Obsidian has a big role for making such a dream game come true.

Please please please please, pretty please?

No love for Mitsoda?

I would assume he's busy on Double Bear's next game, plus being in Seattle would make collaborating harder than the Obsidian/InXile collaborations.

Since we've been spoiled by high camera/isometric view rpg's as of late, I don't know if I can go back to first person or over-the-shoulder camera view games anymore.

Hope Paradox (or Obsidian) doesn't buck this trend and decide to go 3D like the old days.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of a return to first person, but I wouldn't mind a more cinematic approach to a Vampire/WoD game. Maybe a compromise and do something akin to the Dragon Age games.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I hope Obsidian would have nothing to do with any WoD game, ever. Imagine how Sawyer "let's balance everything" would butcher those games.

By... having relative parity between character options? How terrible that would be, indeed.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

ok, now i am soooooooooooo hyped.....

btw, i think requiem is mechanically superior (quite a bit actually) to masquerade, but the latter just has this whole cool backstory and metaplot that i like a lot, somehow the old version just had more "soul" in i a way, can't help it

It's probably because of the characters in VtMB. They all have this unique personality and character to them, it's quite extraordinary. I don't know if it's the voice acting or the writing itself, but VtMB is an achievement when it comes to how to make NPCs feel like actual characters and not just models that **** out quests.

I think he was talking about the PnP game.

I bought all the VtM sourcebooks because I was a huge fan of the lore behind Vampire. Only played one game of it though. Got the books shortly before graduation and everyone moved away.

Ah, ****, being half asleep and excited has never wielded good results.

I hope Obsidian would have nothing to do with any WoD game, ever. Imagine how Sawyer "let's balance everything" would butcher those games.

By... having relative parity between character options? How terrible that would be, indeed.

The problem with the constant combat balance in PoE was that Sawyer made everything equally awful, instead of everything equally OP and fun.

I hate Unity.

The problem with the constant combat balance in PoE was that Sawyer made everything equally awful, instead of everything equally OP and fun.

How lucky that in an even halfway competently done Vampire game, combat shouldn't really happen all that often to merit an obsession with broad lists of character options that need to be meticulously balanced against each other.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I want to know what Obsidian devs thinks of this news? I NEED Twittzzzz  :geek:

I dunno if this satisfies your needs, but Obsidian have put up a post on Facebook congratulating Paradox on their acquisition of White Wolf.

Welp.

mYLwEJa.jpg

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the punch while I was capping.

OMG. Am i dreaming, is this reality? Few years ago i thought RPG genre was slowly dying, but now we have W3, PoE, Wasteland, Torment, and many more. And possible new Vampire game?! Someone pinch me, this just can't be real.

*pinches Sakai*

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Sweet lord, news about the World of Darkness IP being freed from CCP is SO FREAGIN SWEET.

I'm not sure who asked who when it comes to Paradox + Obsidian making a WoD game but.....

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

To think this might actually happen...

I can't think of anything better than Obsidian working on a World of Darkness game.

NO game couild get me more hyped.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, how many "lead developers" would a company the size of Obs have? Or is Sawyer the "lead developer" on everything Obs does for the foreseeable future?

I assume there's as many "lead developers" (I assume you mean Project Leads/Lead Designers) as there are projects.

I hate Unity.

Going by on my faulty memory:

KoTOR 2: MCA as lead designer

NWN2: Ferret B and later J.E.S as lead designer

MotB: Tony Evans lead designer

Alpha Protocol: Chris Parker as Project Director? Mitsoda then MCA as lead designer

DS3: Feargus as Project Director?

FO:NV - J.E.S. as Project Director

NV XPs: MCA and J.E.S. as Project Directors

SP:??

Armored Warfare: Akari as PD

PoE: J.E.S. and Adam B. as PD and Exec. Prod

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle