Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing

nathler

I got so happy when i saw this, as I suddenly have hope for another Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. There seems to be alot of interest among the fans to hand over the development of a potential sequel to Obsidian. 

Bloodlines is one of my alltime favorit games and there hasn't really been an adult themed RPG similar to it since. So much hope! ^^

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-interactive-acquires-white-wolf-publishing-from-ccp-games.888941/

• Like 1

I'm sorry too excited to write, just gona copy paste my post from Paradox Forums. Lets Talk  :w00t:

"OK PARADOX LISTEN ONLY TO ME NOW!

I dont know all the deteils of your buisness relationship with Obsidian but you did worked with them in Pillers of Eternity which went well I guess. Troika's Bloodlines was a classic game and cult game. As all cult -things- this game wasnt that popular as should be but was a masterpiece. Now please dont try to make MMO, MOBA, etc... or other dying&no room genre. Stick to the last version of the game. Single Player Role Playing Game 

BUT
Dont even think about touching the game just give It to the Obsidian. They can make this another Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines. I mean this game is still popular after 15 years with lowest sales. They can make this work.

AND
I dont have that problem with your buisness model and you guys also good at marketing. I mean you have able manage to sell -Non Simulation- Skylines with grand hype. This time you dont even have to try that much because all news sites is going to eat this for a month allready.

IF
Paradox do the right thing and able to manage a deal with Obsidian to make another RPG game. Oh man... O Paradox make It happen!

P.S.
TIM F*ing CAIN is at Obsidian. DO I have to say more??"

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Hey guys, nice scoop! Nathler was just a *wee* bit faster on the draw, so I merged to his thread.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

DO WANT.

I'm not even that excited about the possibility of a Bloodlines sequel, actually. If I'm reading this right, they acquired the rights to all White Wolf properties, including the - IMHO vastly superior - new World of Darkness line, the Trinity continuum (a superhero RPG with mature storytelling done by Obsidian? yes please.), frikkin' Exalted... oh boy. Nerdgasm imminent.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

If I'm not mistaken, Trinity is one of the few properties fully owned by Onyx Path, so Paradox has no power there.

This is pretty damn exciting. Paradox could flub it hard by trying to muscle out Onyx Path, but they wouldn't be that dumb, right?

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

If I'm not mistaken, Trinity is one of the few properties fully owned by Onyx Path, so Paradox has no power there.

This is pretty damn exciting. Paradox could flub it hard by trying to muscle out Onyx Path, but they wouldn't be that dumb, right?

Naahh I don't think they will. They made white wolf a subsidiary and intentionally kept if separate from Paradox to let them have White Wolf focus on what will benefit White Wolf most.

Obisidan has hinted that they're working on something on their twitter...

Hopefully they bring back Mitsoda and hire Avellone for the job and actually use them for story/character writing. The characters in VtMB are so incredibly lively that they're all memorable.

Also get Tim Cain on that game design, and bring back the soundtrack dude.

#Hype

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 2

I hate Unity.

That's an awesome response.  Just vague enough to not tell anything but tease people anyhow. :)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Paradox should buy Obsidian.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually, you're right. Trinity and Scion are owned by OPP. As far as I know, this is the full extent of properties actually owned by them, though.

On the other hand, this means all other stuff is fair game, and all the other stuff is really, really high quality. A game based on Demon: the Descent ("a roleplaying game of techgnostic espionage"), for example, could satisfy my yearning for an unofficial Alpha Protocol sequel, just for starters...

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm going to keep my expectations at zero because the WWP story has been such a sad and pathetic one over the last bunch of years that I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No, I can't hope. 

It would hurt too much to be disappointed.

Personally, now that Vampire (and Werewolf) is away from CCP, I think I can allow myself a single day of wild, hopeful optimism.

I'll temper my expectations tomorrow. Today the world is bright and full of life dead and out for my blood.

• Like 2

IMHO vastly superior - new World of Darkness line

Heresy.

But... it really is?

Requiem is exactly like Masquerade without the stupid cruft built up around it that's completely incongrous with the emulated genre (ninjavampires! fairy vampires! tentacle-y shadow rape monster vampires! Masquerade has ****ing Time Lord vampires for ****'s sakes.)

Forsaken is about badass occult investigators instead of furry ecoterrorists.

Awakening... okay it's totally a personal taste thing, but Ascension's mix of pretentious "your beliefs shape the world" wankery and shallow "rawr rawr fight the system" punk ethos drives me insane, so a Mage game without those is extremely welcome, even though going by the core only, it can seem a little bland. The fact that it's actually capable of delivering horror and mechanically a ton more sound than Ascension's "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER... itty-bitty dice pools" spellcasting system are just icing on the cake.

Changeling: the Lost is a Changeling game I actually want to play, so it would win over Dreaming even if it was nothing more than that, but it also manages to be possibly the best game in the nWoD lineup. It's wondrous and horrifying and beautiful.

Wraith doesn't really have a nWoD analogue but it's nigh-unplayable anyway, so there's that. I mean, I like Wraith, but its sorta-kinda successor, Geist, works far better as an actual game you sit down to play with your friends as opposed to read occasionally and sigh wistfully for sessions that will never be. Unless your friends are really into goth stuff and wrist-slitting, I guess?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

Welp.

mYLwEJa.jpg

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the punch while I was capping.

OMG. Am i dreaming, is this reality? Few years ago i thought RPG genre was slowly dying, but now we have W3, PoE, Wasteland, Torment, and many more. And possible new Vampire game?! Someone pinch me, this just can't be real.

• Like 3

ok, now i am soooooooooooo hyped.....

btw, i think requiem is mechanically superior (quite a bit actually) to masquerade, but the latter just has this whole cool backstory and metaplot that i like a lot, somehow the old version just had more "soul" in i a way, can't help it

• Like 2

Welp.

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the punch while I was capping.

OMG. Am i dreaming, is this reality? Few years ago i thought RPG genre was slowly dying, but now we have W3, PoE, Wasteland, Torment, and many more. And possible new Vampire game?! Someone pinch me, this just can't be real.

Next station >>> Pirate Theme  :dancing:

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

ok, now i am soooooooooooo hyped.....

btw, i think requiem is mechanically superior (quite a bit actually) to masquerade, but the latter just has this whole cool backstory and metaplot that i like a lot, somehow the old version just had more "soul" in i a way, can't help it

It's probably because of the characters in VtMB. They all have this unique personality and character to them, it's quite extraordinary. I don't know if it's the voice acting or the writing itself, but VtMB is an achievement when it comes to how to make NPCs feel like actual characters and not just models that **** out quests.

I hate Unity.

It's a valid observation, although I wouldn't phrase it as "Masquerade has more soul". More like "Requiem gives you the perfect toolbox to craft your own vampire story, while Masquerade tells its own specific vampire story which has these weird gonzo elements I personally find somewhat jarring".

And of course there's the mechanical superiority bit. Requiem 2E is a thing of sublime beauty on that front.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid