I cannot save the game.

addik

Question

The game does not let me save. I cannot save via the menu. Clicking on the "Save" button does nothing.

Quick saving does not work either. I press F5, the game "hangs" as if it is saving something, but there is no save game to load.

Because of this, I also cannot get past the first map and the game remains stuck on the loading screen after the storm hits and we enter the ruins.

I am running Windows 10, and playing the game through Steam.

I am running whatever the latest version of the game is on Steam, and I have tried verifying the files which did not fix the issue.

I have also tried re-installing which did not work either.

I really hope this issue can be fixed.

6 answers to this question

Hi Aarik,

Thanks for the reply. Restarting sadly did not work BUT, after installing the latest update (2.0.1 I believe? It was a 1.5gb update on Steam) I managed to seemingly fix the issue by also setting my Steam to run as administrator. Saves now seem to work, I can progress into the ruins at the start of the game as well.

Thanks again! Looking forward to playing through!

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
at System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PersistenceManager.SaveMobileDataToFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PersistenceManager.SaveGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameResources.BuildSaveFile (System.String name, System.String userString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameResources.SaveGame (System.String filename, System.String userString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UISaveLoadSave.OnButtonClicked (UnityEngine.GameObject sender) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIMultiSpriteImageButton.OnChildClick (UnityEngine.GameObject go) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Where is your My Documents folder located and do you have enough free space on the hard drive that it resides in?

Edited by Nicholas Steel

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

Windows 10 has a Documents folder, I no longer see a My Documents folder. The Documents folder is in c:\Users\MyUserName\Documents

I do notice that there is a c:\Users\MyUserName\Saved Games folder and in that folder is a Pillars of Eternity folder that is empty save for another folder called "2.0 Save Games Backup." That folder is also empty.

I have 200 GB free on the hard drive, and it is the only hard drive in the computer, with no other partitions.

Hello addik,

Welcome to the forums and I apologize for the inconvenience. As Nicholas has mentioned, sometimes you wont be able to load/save games due to not having enough free space on your hard drive.  ( I was just writing this as you made your post. Haha)

If that is not the case, please check your versions of DirectX, PhysX, and Microsoft visual C++. You can do this manually or run Windows Update. Believe it or not, but restarting your computer might fix this issue. 

Thank you for your support.