Hey guys,

For my new playthrough I'm planning on making a heavy melee focused wiz. Looking for suggestions on a party setup. I'd like to keep the party around 4 characters. Thinking I'll play on hard, don't know if I'm up for PotD yet.

So far I was thinking....

Tank Paladin using outworn buckler and probably stick with the accuracy aura. Gonna go with the Crucible Knights this time so that can help make up some DR.

Monk in heavy armor but dps oriented skill set.

Control Cipher, probably the only ranged character and need a mechanic.

Any opinions on how this would work, or replacements if welcome. Was also considering a priest but I felt like the buffing might not be to necessary for a buff wizard.

Also, I've seen in other threads that you can get a lot of gear that reduces the speed penalties from plate armor. Could someone tell me about this options in more detail?

Thanks,

Mocker

Melee wizard in plate works just fine with every party. You can get bracers that reduce armor penalty by 16% (Pilferer's Grip form the guy in front of the inn in Stalwart) and you can use Durgan Steel im the White Forge of Durgan's Battery to refine your armor for another -15%, leaving your plate at +19% penalty which is awesome. There's no more gear to reduce the penalty, but you can reduce recovery time itself with your spells (Alacrity) and speed enchanted weapons like the Blade of the Endless Paths (estoc) or Lawrans Stick (quarterstaff). Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff and Czital's Spirit Lance now use any Weapon Focus you have chosen like soulbound weapons do - so there's no reason to use Weapon Focus Peasant or Solider for your "normal" weapon. And you can also durgan refine your weapon for even more speed (= less recovery time). Search the forum for AndreaColumbo. He writes great posts about bis tests concerning recovery and how to minimalize it with skills, enchantments, spells, potions and so on.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The summoned level one staff and the summoned level five lance are the best melee weapons for a wizard to use. Especially at level nine when level one spells become per encounter. Prior to that a reach weapon like a pike or staff helps with survivability.

If you are also going to go with blights then Adventurer focus has wands in it along with Estocs, Poleax and flails. None are reach weapons but all are good. Flail and shield would help a lot with deflection at low levels before you can summon the staff for free.

On my playthrough now with my melee wizard main char on trial of iron (1st playthrough), the summoned staff alone seems to do well enough.  Downside is limited castings currently (I'm lvl 4), but since it heals and I'm also playing moon godlike, if you are meleeing, you will probably get hit so it's better than the other weapons I've noticed.  With Arcane Veil, your wizard is probably (for a limited time) more defensive than the other tanks even.

Thanks Boeroer about the point about weapon focus when it comes to the summoned weapons...I'd hate to waste 2 picks for both weapons...

You're welcome.

I think Tall Grass is a good choice. It's more powerful in the hands of a rogue or barb - but if you don't have them in your party it's one of the best weapons for you I think. Depends on your build, but still. Merciless Gaze plus Eldritch Aim (and maybe Minor Threat) produce a lot of crits. You should also think about Firebrand on the Forgemaster's Gloves. It's not only a great DPS weapon but also works well with your two duplicate spells. If you play a tanky melee wizard with heavy armor you can easily summon a duplicate and be two tanky dps wizards with flaming great swords instead of this stupid wand the duplicate would wield otherwise. Add that heavy armor "White Crest" from Stalwart and you add some more spells to your duplicate while also adding lots of DR. Then get the boots of speed from Russetwood for two fast tankywizs - or use some boots with spell bindings. Stack all spell binding gear that fits your playstyle with this char - like Cape with mirrored image and so on. It makes your duplicate a second caster and improves your party performance immensely.

Edited by Boeroer

Thanks again for the replies. I'm at level 7 now and really enjoying the build. Now that I have a duplicate I'll try out the forgemaster's gloves.

I decided to try out the party I described above and it seems to work decent. I do seem to be at a point though when I'm starting to run out of easier quests to do, and I'm still struggling with some encounters, such as bounties. Gonna keep trucking along.

Up to level 8 now, Groups almost there as well. Looking like It is time to progress the main story line and open up Stalwart. I just completed all of the Dyrwood Village quests.

P.S. I tried using forgemaster gloves then casting my duplicate. He seems to still just be using a wand.

Nooo - your duplicate itself has to summon Firebrand: Summon your duplicate, select it and viola: your clone has this spell icon for casting Firebrand. Klick it aka cast Firebrand and THEN he has it in it's hands.

It's the same for all spell binding items: they enable your duplicate to cast these spells by themselves.

Of course you can summon Firebrand into your own hands - but that will not give it to your duplicate.

Edited by Boeroer

Arrrgh!!! Then it will also fail when you try it with the monk's duplicates. Curse you Obsidian! What's the reason for this? It wansn't overpowered - just a nice trick.

Do the other items with spell binding still work? Please say yes.

Edited by Boeroer