I keep trying to find armor for my Fighter with the greatest DR and least Recovery.  But that has gotten me to 50% Recovery armor.  Is there a (practical) way to lighten the physical armor and replace it with magic?

Thanks,

Jeff

The Priest spell Champion's Boon gives +5 DR (among other things), so you could wear lighter armor and use that spell instead.

Then again, the DR bonus from the spell stacks with that from armor, so using both is still better. That said, my Fighter wears plate armor and uses a two-hander with Vulnerable Attack and her recovery time only lasts 15 frames. Use Durgan Steel on your armor and on a Speed weapon, take the Armor Grace ability, pump your DEX score and sip potions of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion like your life depended on it, and you'll be fast regardless of what you're wearing.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Like Andrea said: use all kind of attack speed enhancements, because that lowers recovery (and recovery only).

Plus: take Armored Grace (this is going to be boosted to -20% armor recovery penalty next patch) and get Pilferer's Grip (from the guy in front of the inn in Stalwart), that's another -16% armor penalty. Durgan Steel refinement will add -15% on top of that - leaving you at (50-20-16-15) zero recovery malus (since you can't have negative numbers). Using any other armor than plate or brigandine with this setup would be a waste - because you can't get lower than zero. This will give you the thickest armor and the lowest recovery penalty possible. It's like wearing cloth. Even without the new patch you end up at +3% - which is like nothing. Pilferer's Grip you can get very early if you want and even without Durgan Steel (which requires some game time) you are at +18% (or +15% after tje patch) - which is like wearing robes.

Another way is to get one of the capes that has the spell binding of Mirrored Image and the robe from the merchant in Stalwart that casts Mirrored Image when you receive a crit. That way you don't add DR but a solid +25 deflection.

So - now you have your base recovery time and can reduce this further by using speedy weapons like the Blade of the Endless Paths and so on. With Durgan Steel it gets even faster. And you can wear the Sanguine Plate that lets you go frenzy when getting a crit - that means another +33% speed. You will be very fast - like AndreaColumbo said. He did lots of great research on (recovery) speed.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...

Yes, they stack with pretty much anything that gives +% attack speed. That's why I never find them. ;)

Aargh, those gloves and the ones that give a mechanic bonus - I can never ever find. Except once I did get the mechanic ones - obviously on my rogue playthrough who really didn't need them. Sad but true.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Hah! I think I've found the Gauntlets of Swift Action in my every play through--and you know what's funny? I've never used them. Not once. I might use them in my TWM pt. II play through if I find them, which is moot (they seem to get incredibly elusive once you actually have a use for them. Have I already mentioned my hating random generated loot?)

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes, they stack with pretty much anything that gives +% attack speed. That's why I never find them. ;)

Hah! I think I've found the Gauntlets of Swift Action in my every play through--and you know what's funny? I've never used them. Not once. I might use them in my TWM pt. II play through if I find them, which is moot (they seem to get incredibly elusive once you actually have a use for them. Have I already mentioned my hating random generated loot?)

I don't mind the idea of random drops, I'm just not sure how it actually works. Seems to in Pillars it isn't that random, and that's the problem. For instance I get certain items a lot. Obviously there is a rarity issue at play, but even taking that into account I still end up with a heck of a lot of useless trinkets. And the good items, well I can go multiple playthroughs without seeing one. Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

If that is the case, all I can say is "terribad". I can live with random loot when that means I'm getting all items for sure in at least one copy, but I don't know in which order. Random with no guarantee of finding specific items in a play through is bad. Random + rare items spawn less frequently is irritating.

Thankfully we can cheat...

It's not truly random - they place these items based on the ingame date. So on the third day of a month a chest will contain item X, on the fourth day item Y and so on. There's a spreadsheet for that. :) Although it didn't work for me.

Or did they chance the way "random" items are distributed? 

I think it changes with every patch, thus making the spreadsheet obsolete :(

I think it changes with every patch, thus making the spreadsheet obsolete :(

The spreadsheet seems accurate for some chests but not for others. What is still accurate, as far as I've been able to tell, is that loot is completely determined by day of the month, so if you're patient enough you can check each day until you get an item you like. It is, however, a little immersion breaking.

Cheating is a much faster way to get the exact same result ;)

It's not like I enjoy it either; it's a lesser of two evils thing. Playing without an item I really want is less enjoyable for me than cheating to get it. I would much rather get the item legitimately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 1

If you "console" them with the name gaintlets_of_swift_action, then you'll get the ones that do +15% attack speed. They have a missing enchantment description in the tooltip though - maybe they took them out of the game. I never found them since 1.05 or so. The other ones I also never found. Keep in mind that I accumulated over 1500 hours of gameplay... :)

Edited by Boeroer