3.00 patch teased by Josh on SA

Any word on if they're going to undo that ridiculous removal of facial hair from pale elves?

Yes, what is the point of that change?

Well guys they are elves.  Have you ever seen an elf with facial hair in any lore of any elf fantasy thing ever?  Do any of the pale elf portraits made for the game have facial hair?  Do any of the pale elf npcs you meet in game have facial hair?  Do any of the elf portraits for Eternity or any of the elf NPC's pale or otherwise have facial hair in Eternity?

Just saying.

They established that elves can't grow facial hair in the lore of this setting even before releasing the game, so it was an oversight that they could and was thus removed afterwards.

Didn't the lore specifically say that Pale Elves, unlike Wood Elves, could grow facial hair?

Well guys they are elves.  Have you ever seen an elf with facial hair in any lore of any elf fantasy thing ever?  Do any of the pale elf portraits made for the game have facial hair?  Do any of the pale elf npcs you meet in game have facial hair?  Do any of the elf portraits for Eternity or any of the elf NPC's pale or otherwise have facial hair in Eternity?

Just saying.

Some of Tolkien's elves had beards. Círdan the Shipwright's is explicitly mentioned.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

They established that elves can't grow facial hair in the lore of this setting even before releasing the game, so it was an oversight that they could and was thus removed afterwards.

The Officially Background Book specifically mentions that, unlike Wood Elves, Pale Elves can grow facial hair. It doesn't bother me too much as I doubt I'd make a Pale Elf with a beard, but if it's something they can add in easily I'd like them to.

Any word on if they're going to undo that ridiculous removal of facial hair from pale elves?

Well guys they are elves.  Have you ever seen an elf with facial hair in any lore of any elf fantasy thing ever?  

Elder Scolls and Warcraft, probably the 2 most popular videogame fantasy settings have elves with facial hair.

Didn't the lore specifically say that Pale Elves, unlike Wood Elves, could grow facial hair?

The Officially Background Book specifically mentions that, unlike Wood Elves, Pale Elves can grow facial hair. It doesn't bother me too much as I doubt I'd make a Pale Elf with a beard, but if it's something they can add in easily I'd like them to.

I see, my bad. I'll take back everything I said and agree they should change it back then.

Well guys they are elves. Have you ever seen an elf with facial hair in any lore of any elf fantasy thing ever?

I think the original elves of scandinavian myth could have beards. Plus, "lacking beards" is not one of the great defining characteristics of elves. That would be their long lifes and attunement to the magical. And some settings have elves tgat are not more nagical than humans.

Plus, nothing says an author can't make elves have beards in his setting.

Well, I doubt they made it to anger people. One of the devs probably didn't know this about the lore, wondered why some elves could have beards while others couldn't and then decided to fix the inconistency.

And did it in the way that limited player choices. Disapointing.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Pale Elves are supposed to be allowed facial hair, and that problem will be fixed in 3.00.

Good to know it is going to be fixed. Despite the good record Obsidian has set, I still feared the issue would be forgotten because of its lack of impact on the gameplay itself.

Iterative software deployments typically have a build list that is reviewed before a release; I doubt that Obsidian is making updates purely on undocumented memorization.

Pale Elves are supposed to be allowed facial hair, and that problem will be fixed in 3.00.

Good to know it is going to be fixed. Despite the good record Obsidian has set, I still feared the issue would be forgotten because of its lack of impact on the gameplay itself.

Iterative software deployments typically have a build list that is reviewed before a release; I doubt that Obsidian is making updates purely on undocumented memorization.

When I said "forget", I meant "ignore".