3.00 patch teased by Josh on SA

Not sure that I agree, but I definitely think finding hidden objects shouldn't be tied to mechanics.

You're right. I haven't played in awhile. It should be split into 3 skills. Lock picking. Trap disarming. And Find hidden objects.

Anything else we forgot mechanics does?

Edited by Kilburn

You're right. I haven't played in awhile. It should be split into 3 skills. Lock picking. Trap disarming. And Find hidden objects.

Anything else we forgot mechanics does?

The skill system isn't great, but slavishly copying D&D3 isn't an improvement.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The number of skills in the game is tuned to the number of skill points you get per level. Adding more skills willy nilly because "There should be a skill for that, IT MAEKS SENSE!!" would screw things up.

In the end, the Infinity Engine games and PoE were not skill-based RPGs and it might even be better to take skills out entirely, replacing their functionality with equivalent talents (inb4 Fallout 4)

Edited by Infinitron

The number of skills in the game is tuned to the number of skill points you get per level. Adding more skills willy nilly because "There should be a skill for that, IT MAEKS SENSE!!" would screw things up.

In the end, the Infinity Engine games and PoE were not skill-based RPGs and it might even be better to take skills out entirely, replacing their functionality with equivalent talents (inb4 Fallout 4)

Don't you mean "inb4 Dragon Age Origins"? Since the bulk of the discussion is about the Mechanic skill...

While we're at it, can someone with a twitter remind Josh (or bump/create a thread, I haven't followed much) about a Chanter Rime Traps (or something) that litters save file and supposedly serves as the main reason for bloated loading times? It seems the loading thread in the feedback forum got bumped again, but, AFAIK, there's no mention for Chanter traps - just that they are bloated and that's it. Maybe I'm wrong but you never know.

Also, I read through the NerdCommando guide and it seems Obsidian need to at least mention (via Cyclopedia entry, maybe) about the fact that Speed bonuses apply to recovery time only and do not affect attack and reload animation at all. There's plenty of other issues that need to be mentioned/corrected, but to me, this one seems the most crucial - since it directly affects calculations of combat performance in player's head. I suspect many players still think that doubling attack speed means ALL animations execute two times quicker.

• Like 1

^ the guys at Obs are very well aware of the issue (Josh mentioned that more than once.)

How attack speed works has been explained many times on these boards; it shouldn't be too hard to find out. Unfortunately I don't see PoE communicating it any better with patches (but PoE 2 will, according to Josh.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Oh, okay. This bug is very old, so yeah, that should be obvious that they're aware, but as I said, you never know. :)

Regarding attack speed: yeah, sure, but I somehow suspect that out of all PoE players, there's maybe 5 percent of them at most, who visit these boards. It would help, I suppose, if that information was posted somewhere here in a sticky thread for everyone to see. And, well, it doesn't take much to communicate this particular issue properly - just update/create Attack Speed in Mechanics section of Cyclopedia with a few lines of text, and that's it.

BTW, it's good to see that Pallegina's order finally got recognised as something mechanically different and not just roleplaying flavor. Now the only thing that remains is her breastplate - apart from five star emblem, it is, AFAIK, the same usual breastplate as any other. All companions would benefit from unique equipment to mechanically compensate for their not-so-optimal stats and make them preferable to players who doesn't play for the story per se (I'm not one of them, mind you) so they wouldn't stick to hirelings that easy. :) I'm fine either way, but who knows.

I might start another play through when TWM2 comes out.

I'm not yet done with my initial White March run, so the rest is just icing on the cake.  I can't say that incremental changes like action icons on the portraits, as important as they are when you add them all together, strike me as much as the additional content, but I admit that I'm always pleased to see improvements that appeal to my convenience and laziness as a player.  :D

Edited by why

bother?

Stronghold - awesome.

Knockout Injuries - awesome. Rise immersion.

Self healing - interesting, considering that we can always have stack of healing potions, so having some free just make things more accesseble. From the other side I could miss some of buff potion duration or food.

Rest bonuses - hard to say

Difficulty scaling - probably good

Caster change - needed if we want to keep things balanced.

CWDmPP_UAAAfw7x.jpg

also in patch 3.0 of #pillarsofeternity : action icons on portraits. thx kaz and bmac

"Action icons" are the little symbols to the right of the portraits? Prior to 3.0, how do you tell what buffs / debuffs are on your toons?

EDIT: Nevermind, they must be the "reload", "sword", "..." marks?

i hope in PoE2 the portraits will be bigger as in the old games, the status effect icons on the portraits displayed in one colour (preferrably light blue as in BG2) with transparent background. It's kind of telling that those icons are so tiny in PoE since status effects dont play such a prominent role. The action icons are copied from Beamdog's EEs which for ipad versions of BG/IWD was i think introduced because if you tapped on selection circles it wasn't that clear that the player's order was given. In the old games looking at your chars you could though tell easily whether your char has acknowldeged your order and is about to do soemthing or if he's still idle, there's no need for action icons on the portraits. The portrait filling up with horizontal red lines is indication enough of your hp, no need for the numbers.

^ The numbers are already in the game and can be disabled in the option menu.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

i hope in PoE2 the portraits will be bigger as in the old games, the status effect icons on the portraits displayed in one colour (preferrably light blue as in BG2) with transparent background. It's kind of telling that those icons are so tiny in PoE since status effects dont play such a prominent role. The action icons are copied from Beamdog's EEs which for ipad versions of BG/IWD was i think introduced because if you tapped on selection circles it wasn't that clear that the player's order was given. In the old games looking at your chars you could though tell easily whether your char has acknowldeged your order and is about to do soemthing or if he's still idle, there's no need for action icons on the portraits. The portrait filling up with horizontal red lines is indication enough of your hp, no need for the numbers.

Talk for yourself. Action icons in BGEE are a godsend and for PoE 3.0 even more because PoE combat is a cluster****.

yep, it is in PoE, i agree :) though when i played PoE i did so in expert mode and i did have those action icons displayed over the heads of my chars, generally speaking there's also less cluster in expert mode. My comment is also more referring to PoE2, the old games had proper animations, for me action icons weren't needed, so yes i speak for myself :) How about an option to turn them off from the portraits like the numbers as Andrea is saying ??

^ day and date with TWM pt. II in late January. Unfortunately nothing more precise has been announced yet.