3.00 patch teased by Josh on SA

Lol no it didn't.

Yes it did. I played both a bizillion times.

My god was i blown away when i first played origins. No contest really. 

Maybe you played on the playstation and only play your games on easy or something. IDK. Either way, youre wrong.

I have no idea what youre whining about. Camera, movement etc was all just fine. and slaughtering darkspawn was awesome because the animation and sound effects were actually good, unlike BG2 and the stupid "gibs" crap.

What tactical variety did BG have? Pre buff a lot and run around killing everything? Time stop? please...

The only real thing wrong with origins was that spells were way too overpowered. Especially ones like cone of cold and fireball. That and DLC items were overpowered.

I played Dragon Age: Origins on medium on PC!

... And it was bad. Click Wizard no.1, summon devastating AoE spell. Click Wizard no.2, summon devastating AoE spell. Take chokepoint in order for enemies not escaping devastating AoE spells. Go to the next room. Oh look, precisely the same enemies for 100th time in a dungeon which keeps giving you the same encounter over and over! Cool, click Wizard no.1 ...

I hated the combat in DaO: O so badly that eventually I lowered difficulty to easy in order to get it over with.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I played Dragon Age: Origins on medium on PC!

... And it was bad. Click Wizard no.1, summon devastating AoE spell. Click Wizard no.2, summon devastating AoE spell. Take chokepoint in order for enemies not escaping devastating AoE spells. Go to the next room. Oh look, precisely the same enemies for 100th time in a dungeon which keeps giving you the same encounter over and over! Cool, click Wizard no.1 ...

I hated the combat in DaO: O so badly that eventually I lowered difficulty to easy in order to get it over with.

Yes... as opposed to run around with dual wielding dual classed guys with haste and other buffs and slaughter everything really fast like in BG2.

You loaded up on overpowered wizards. It is what it is. Play again with rogues/fighters and get back to me.

And every drow in the underdark you fight is totally different and an awesome unique encounter right!?

I have no idea what youre whining about. Camera, movement etc was all just fine. and slaughtering darkspawn was awesome because the animation and sound effects were actually good, unlike BG2 and the stupid "gibs" crap.

When the camera was not on the highest zoom, you could only control one unit at a time and you were locked to their perspective - what kind of bullcrap is that? Unit movement is super clunky, and movement in combat is not tactical, you just run up to something and start clicking away.

And lol animation and sound effects, what about the awesome button?

What tactical variety did BG have? Pre buff a lot and run around killing everything? Time stop? please...

Aggro switching, tactical retreating, dispelling, counter-spelling, movement and positioning somewhat matters, lots of other stuff. There are lots and lots of different ways to beat encounters in BG2 especially. If you're discounting the combat because you rest-spammed so you could use per-rest spells every fight then you only cheated yourself out of a fun time bud.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Yes... as opposed to run around with dual wielding dual classed guys with haste and other buffs and slaughter everything really fast like in BG2.

You loaded up on overpowered wizards. It is what it is. Play again with rogues/fighters and get back to me.

And every drow in the underdark you fight is totally different and an awesome unique encounter right!?

Well I didn't like combat in Baldur's Gate either, but at least it didn't take ages whilst trying to show off all the fancy animations and sound effects.

When the camera was not on the highest zoom, you could only control one unit at a time and you were locked to their perspective - what kind of bullcrap is that? Unit movement is super clunky, and movement in combat is not tactical, you just run up to something and start clicking away.

And lol animation and sound effects, what about the awesome button?

Aggro switching, tactical retreating, dispelling, counter-spelling, movement and positioning somewhat matters, lots of other stuff. There are lots and lots of different ways to beat encounters in BG2 especially. If you're discounting the combat because you rest-spammed so you could use per-rest spells every fight then you only cheated yourself out of a fun time bud.

You run up and start clicking away? Its a video game! you play with a mouse!?!?

It was very tactial I remember using all kinds of interesting strategy and pausing constantly to defeat powerful enemies like revenants on the hardest setting.

Movement and positiioning matter. To backstab you need to be behind the enemy. Backstab has a fun and awesome animation. I'm not sure what game you were playing?

Who needs to rest spam? you can cast all the spells a million times.

tactical retreating? lol, im pretty sure you can run away in basically every game there is. trying to make it sound fancy isnt helping you.

herp derp dual class wizard fighter. stack up -20 armour. tensers transformation. so tactical. herp derp.

Positioning doesn't really matter because Warriors have a broadcast aggro ability, so all they need to do is do that and enemies just attack them. You need to pause because you have four characters with active abilities and you have to manage their cooldowns, that doesn't make the game tactical. Just as in Pillars of Eternity you need to use lots of active attacks over and over again, that does not make combat tactical.

Rogues automatically shuffle behind enemies, and their animations for special attacks actually made them worse at combat because the animations took so long to play, so you were actually better off just auto-attacking and you got a higher DPS.

How many spell casts of Time Stop do you get per rest, and how many battles do you face per day?

You can run in every game, but in DA:O you don't really need to run because there's no death, there's automatic health regeneration and well, the aggro system, so you can't run some of the time.

But I see your point - it's all about those animations and sound effects, and button awesome. I get it.

• Like 2

I played on the PC and on Insane difficulty. That's another reason why it sucks, it's a ****ty console port.

Origins was a game made for PC and ported to consoles, not the other way around. The PC version had to be modified heavily to accomodate consoles, consessions had to be made.

The PC version was the best version of the game in this case.

Maybe youre thinking of the second game? The second game was a piece of ****, maybe we can atleast agree on that much.

• Like 1

Positioning doesn't really matter because Warriors have a broadcast aggro ability, so all they need to do is do that and enemies just attack them. You need to pause because you have four characters with active abilities and you have to manage their cooldowns, that doesn't make the game tactical. Just as in Pillars of Eternity you need to use lots of active attacks over and over again, that does not make combat tactical.

Rogues automatically shuffle behind enemies, and their animations for special attacks actually made them worse at combat because the animations took so long to play, so you were actually better off just auto-attacking and you got a higher DPS.

How many spell casts of Time Stop do you get per rest, and how many battles do you face per day?

You can run in every game, but in DA:O you don't really need to run because there's no death, there's automatic health regeneration and well, the aggro system, so you can't run some of the time.

But I see your point - it's all about those animations and sound effects, and button awesome. I get it.

Ok, now im convinced youre playing a different game. They dont automatically shuffle behind enemies. They have a stun ability and you have to manually sidestep around your target then backstab them which I loved. And the speed of the rogues backstab animation increases along with attack speed. Backstabs do not take longer to execute than regular attacks.

Did you know that you can make a strength based rogue, wear heavy armour and backstab with two handed weapons? And that two handed weapons have their own backstab animation? That play through was so much fun.

Tthe last bit youre calling me a GFX whore... not really, I was quite happy with pillars graphics. Do I think Pillars would be improved with more varied animation for some of the special attacks and more diverse death animation besides "gibs". HELL YES.

Video games are art. and art is all about the small details.

Edited by Kilburn

The Infinity Engine games have a backstab too, and it's better than DA:O's one. In BG2 a Rogue can use any item once they hit level 17 and you can use heavy armor and a two-handed weapon (though, you only get proficiencies in certain ones).

Proficiencies also don't have anything to do with the combat gameplay really. They don't affect the actions you perform in combat in these games.

The Infinity Engine games have a backstab too, and it's better than DA:O's one. In BG2 a Rogue can use any item once they hit level 17 and you can use heavy armor and a two-handed weapon (though, you only get proficiencies in certain ones).

Proficiencies also don't have anything to do with the combat gameplay really. They don't affect the actions you perform in combat in these games.

Wrong a pure thief doesnt get use any item until level 24 becasue you need 3 million exp before you can take TOB high level abilities.

Aside from proficiency thief cannot backstab with two handed weapons. It is pretty useless.

Wrong a pure thief doesnt get use any item until level 24 becasue you need 3 million exp before you can take TOB high level abilities.

You can with a mod original.gif - for both of those things.

Edited by Sensuki

WNmdbpw.png

I asked the same question some time ago in the last official update thread and got no answer. If I wasn't already used to this, I'd be pissed about how they handle things with regards to announcements. *sigh*

Anyway, good to know the answer now anyway.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 3

Did not read past page 3. Still, the Stronghold improvements part is the most promising to me. Right now, for me, the stronghold is just like some sort of minigame that has nothing to do with the core game. No dialogue with visitors (pay them for leaving by clicking a button), quests like in a browser game (let's do our dailies by clicking some buttons), all about statistics (build whatever you want by clicking a button, that will just change statistics), no impact on the RPG part of Pillars ( since, as far as i know, no one will recognize you as the lord of Caed Nua), bounties without lore (ok, one mob and his minions just showed up out of the blue, and who know who offers a reward for killing them for who know what reason), and so on. The Stronghold has many features, but no one got the love it deserved.

In BG2, there was a chapel in the Arnise Keep. And you could recruit a priest to put in the Chapel. It's just an example, but what is a chapel without a priest? It gives rest bonuses? improves prestige and such? oO. agh!

Among all the things i would want to see improved, pached, modified... the stronghold is probably number 1.

Ok, now im convinced youre playing a different game. They dont automatically shuffle behind enemies. They have a stun ability and you have to manually sidestep around your target then backstab them which I loved. And the speed of the rogues backstab animation increases along with attack speed. Backstabs do not take longer to execute than regular attacks.

Did you know that you can make a strength based rogue, wear heavy armour and backstab with two handed weapons? And that two handed weapons have their own backstab animation? That play through was so much fun.

Tthe last bit youre calling me a GFX whore... not really, I was quite happy with pillars graphics. Do I think Pillars would be improved with more varied animation for some of the special attacks and more diverse death animation besides "gibs". HELL YES.

You called yourself a GFX whore when you compared two games and said DAO has cool animations and BG2 has none. 

Edited by archangel979

You called yourself a GFX whore when you compared two games and said DAO has cool animations and BG2 has none. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he meant character animations. Spell animations are fine in BG 1 & 2.

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

big #PillarsofEternity patch 3.0 athletics and survival skill changes we've been playing w/ for a while.

p.s. fatigue system was scrapped. you can get fatigue from scripted sequences and KO injuries but not travel/exploration #PillarsofEternity

CVgN-hxUsAAU-RV.jpg

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/673303517881229313

and more...

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle