3.00 patch teased by Josh on SA

It wasn't very different for IceWind Dale. I took baby steps everywhere :blink:

Icewind Dale was more challenging out of the box than BG but you got extra experience for higher difficulty - which in the end (by mid game at most) made your characters more powerful sooner off setting much of the higher difficulty. Still fun tho... :)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

It has better Combat pathfinding than Pillars of Eternity though.

My party members in BG routinely get stuck looking at the middle of something because they can't quite figure out how to go around. Mostly a problem with NPCs and sometimes party members themselves (it's funny when they just stare at each other while Minsc gets murdered. Minsc gets damaged a lot.) Edited by Fenixp

try playing bg1 lol

that game's pathfinding issomething else

why go through the tunnel when you can go around it hahaha

I have been playing it for years and years again once BG1EE came out. During combat I need to micromanage my guys less. They generally go where I tell them and don't get stuck on everything. PoE pathfinding during combat is terrible.
  • Like 1

Path Search Nodes 40,000 is generally pretty good.

Oh my god, they actually go around each other now as opposed to stare into each other's eyes before giving up on this mind-bending puzzle of walking. The future is here!

The pathfinding is still rather poor in both games tho.

Edited by Fenixp

I think the big issue with Pillars combat pathfinding is that the toons can't shove each other out of the way. It's probably because this would mess with engagement, but I can't believe it wouldn't be possible to work around it: just allow them to move inside the engagement radius without breaking it.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Oh my god, they actually go around each other now as opposed to stare into each other's eyes before giving up on this mind-bending puzzle of walking. The future is here!

The pathfinding is still rather poor in both games tho.

I agree on that. Personally I expected at least good pathfinding in PoE and what we got was my biggest disappointment.

Yeah because it's not the default setting (because BG was made to run on 133MHz processor) I'll bet there's a lot of people out there who's nightmares of IE pathfinding are because they never changed that setting.

The Sunsuki/Fenixp fiasco is about to hijack another thread. Run for your lives!!

I think the big issue with Pillars combat pathfinding is that the toons can't shove each other out of the way. It's probably because this would mess with engagement, but I can't believe it wouldn't be possible to work around it: just allow them to move inside the engagement radius without breaking it.

I like this idea. I can't imagine that this would introduce much combat abuse, and would certainly make sense from a combat simulation perspective. I think.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not sure whether next patch is 3.00 or 2.04, but Josh's been teasing some of the changes on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/666663042713653248

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/666663156266065920

in the next patch for #pillarsofeternity, chanters get "brisk recitation", passive ability that speeds up phrases and improves as they level

it's an ability they receive automatically at 4th level.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/666667016615428097

also in the next #pillarsofeternity patch, fighters' knock down has been set to a full attack, making it better for dual-wielders.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/666682184950874112

aaand in the next #pillarsofeternity patch, BMac added detailed breakdowns for DR, defenses, accuracy, and damage.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Big news for chanters, sounds awesome!

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Could easily happen, it's already a pretty strong Invocation as is. It has base 8 sec duration, and even just Kana will have 21 Int easy enough to make that 12.4 seconds. Right now, takes 16 seconds to power one out with dink chants, so I could see it becoming a full time thing, especially for a player pumping Int to 27.

Course, not really an issue compared to what broken stuff we already have, as even though the AoE effect with 27 Int would be pretty massive to tag most mobs, it still won't be as broken as what a lot of classes can do, as it'll take likely at least 12 seconds to get running even with a buff.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/667042415245590528

for the next #pillarsofeternity patch, acolyte's radiance, prestidigitator's missiles, and aspirant's mark are now all 1/encounter

• Like 3

From SA:

The reason it has low accuracy is because the affliction it causes makes subsequent pulses of the spell much more likely to succeed. If an attack of Binding Web Hits, the next attack will be against someone who has -2 to Dex and -20 to Reflex, so effectively -24 Reflexes, putting the net accuracy at +9. We could adjust it back up a bit, or we could have Binding Web target Fortitude instead of Reflex. That might seem a little strange, but it would solve that problem and it's not that odd considering one way out of A/D&D Web is just using Strength.

e: Binding Web is actually only -5 Accuracy unless I'm missing something. Either way, I'll just make all of the webs have standard Accuracy and switch them over to Fortitude.

Looks like he is developing for SA people...

^^ It's a very common trend with gaming, from my experience. Going as far back as the first Diablo game from Blizzard Entertainment, sure there were the official forums but if you wanted to have a real discussion you went to the real hangout... anyone recall what that was??

Odgens Tavern (aka, Oggies)

Developers are smart to seek out discussion boards where real conversation can happen. Official forums tend to be noisy and filled with clutter *coughsensukicough*

• Like 1

True. Oggies was named after a real location inside of Diablo, so it made sense to attract Blizzards Dev's and Designers. SA is a "catch all" type of place so it does seem odd, but I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to the allure of people who are willing to have serious intellectual discussion.

But at least we got good folks giving us the scoop here :cat: