Does the Monk Turning Wheel Talent use up or deplete wounds?

Is the Turning Wheel a simple passive that activates when wounds are present without consuming wounds?

I am concerned that I will not be able to use other abilities if Turning Wheel keeps eating up my wounds

No it does not "eat" up your wounds.

There is a, I believe, a 10 or 12 second lifespan for wounds after which they naturally expire. Also there is a limit of ten wounds, more than that are not counted and stored.

Edited by KDubya

Turning Wheel is a passive ability that doesn't consume wounds. It works best if you don't spend all your wounds at once all the time. So in theory you would get a +50% burn damage bonus if you accumulated 10 wounds and didn't spend them. But in reality you will always spend wounds if you don't plan to use your monk as a pure auto attacker. But the other extreme: spending all your wounds at once all the time also doesn't happen very often because that requires a ton of micromanagement. So you will end up having an average of 3 to 5 wounds all the time, which results in +15% to +25% burn damage, which is still decent, cause it stacks with lightning strikes (+25% shock, works now) and an elemental lash on weapons (+25%). I would recommend it if you don't plan to babysit your monk all the time and especially if you have some other chars in the party that require some micro like casters or melee rogues etc.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The AI does a good job of activating Swift Strikes and Torment's Reach, only need to micro for Flagellant's Path or Force of Anguish.

I like to take Turning Wheel even when I'll be using my wounds as fast as I can via Torment's Reach. More damage is always good and the only competition ability wise is Stunning Blows

Yep - I also always take Turning Wheel - especially because I absolutely love Iron Wheel and that uses the same rules. And you can add the enchantment of the Blood Testament Gloves (+2% raw damage per wound) on top of that, resulting in a very sturdy and high damage auto attacker who can spend some wounds for a special attack from time to time.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods