Pillars of Eternity - Short Stories

I like the two stories;   Sometimes Paul uses big words that seem cumbersome when he doesn't need to...  eg.  "extremities"  instead of say limbs;  But I thought his scene crafting was nice, along with the character tension/development.

I like Carrie's brisk visual/dialogue style.  Sagani needs a little more vibrancy and depth as a character...   Somebody who is driven enough to leave kith and kin for a crazy quest needs some quirks.   I don't know,  some kind of inner rage ( maybe saw this in her quest... I'd prefer it more prominent)  bubbling over,   maybe a craving for raw liver she'd do anything for ...  I know Carrie's capable of it, cause, well Aloth.

I appreciate that Eora isn't meant to be the same kind of pulp Fantasy shtick as Forgotten Realms;   but the reality is, in the push for "realism"  some of the characters are to underdeveloped/bland;   The cool 19th centuryish fantasy world of Eora deserves its corresponding dickensian charicatures.  

Now, I realize I'm just a hypercritical - fanboy -  Pillars is awesome -  well worth the time and money.  Just want more and better of an already good game..

I'm looking forwards to the new expansion characters,  but I'm waiting to buy the expansions together.

Edited by tdphys
  • Like 1

The cool 19th centuryish fantasy world of Eora deserves its corresponding dickensian charicatures.  

19th century?? I would say this setting is simillar to 16th century renaissance period: Firearms are rudimentary and Vailian Republics, the most advanced culture, are simillar to the Italian city states disputed by the French and we, the Spanish during 16th.

It has been a succesful choice to create PoE not only in the tipical medieval setting. PoE combines medieval cultures with renaissance cultures. Congrats to the developers for this feature ;D

Edited by juanval
  • Like 2

If I'm allowed a moment of blasphemy and sincerity, I still prefer Patrick Rothfuss to both :p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

***Spoilers Alert***

in page 14 says:

"When Neolas asked about the Legacy, the herbalist confirmed that the crisis was all but a rumor in Maiden Falls."

What does "all but a rumor" means? that the Maiden Falls is suffering the Legacy or not?

I don't remember when playing PoE if Glanffatan region suffers the Legacy like Dirwood region

1 "all but a rumor" means that waidwen's legacy is not felt in the glanfathan region and,  2  thaos was targetting specifically the Dyrwood because they were ramping up animancy, hence the localization of the curse.

Edited by tdphys

^ I agree, although I would prefer a means with more room for character development and richer plots; novellas would be better than short stories, albeit of course more time consuming. Then again, I'll take two novellas over ten short stories any given year.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I certainly hope we will get more short stories and will see theme eventually printed. A hardcover PoE book would be awesome.

I liked all short stories so far.

Sagani story felt perhaps more like a quest summary than a story, but I enjoyed it still a lot. Simple, action-y, fun.

The story about the Orlan and the elf was probably the best one from literary standpoint. Well written and interesting with clear structure and good theme.

I liked Eder story the least, though mostly because I'm sick to death of Gilded Vale. Too much grimdarkness for my taste. Was still nice to see more of Eder. Had to suspend quite a lot of disbelief about him getting away with all this, though. He resisted the guards (two of whom still live), killed another two guards and being an Eothasian on top. A miracle he was not under the first five on the trademark hanging tree.

I liked the 3 stories, mainly the Eder's story. I really like Gilded Vale setting, with Lord Raedric's iron fist ruling the village and the Legacy's paranoia.

Playing PoE, when I arrived to Gilded Vale, watching the hanged guys and listening the announcing bell that gave the bad news about the birth of Raedric's son, I thought "wow, this game is what I waited for many years".

PoE lore is superb. In order to have a better experience, new players should learn about Eora's setting before playing, as I did.

Edited by juanval

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! I have a question about translation in other languages. Would you mind if I translate the stories into Russian to share it with the russian fan community? I don’t know much about author’s rights, but I surely know I must ask you before doing such things. And there’s a lot of people who would love read these stories, but don’t know English.

Hi! I have a question about translation in other languages. Would you mind if I translate the stories into Russian to share it with the russian fan community? I don’t know much about author’s rights, but I surely know I must ask you before doing such things. And there’s a lot of people who would love read these stories, but don’t know English.

1. I'm 99,999% sure that it's more than okay. After all the short stories are non-commercial and it's only to Obisiian's benefit if more people get to read them.

2. The short stories had already been translate to Russian (yay!)

Pretty sure you are from same place as I am, aka diary.ru, but here are the links just in case: 1, 2, 3, 4 (you need to log in/register to see the translations).

Edited by Sonntam

2 Sonntam

Whoa, I never knew the stories were translated, thanks for the links:)
About author's rights. Yeah, I suppose there's a strong chance of a favourable answer by the reasons you've mentioned, but even so I think such things should be asked, not just in context of commerce. Well, maybe I'm a bit paladin-ish ^^