/irish cop voice:

No one's gettin' whacked today!

Seriously, I think it's interesting to read these different views, although I admit I'm not a fan of phone games.  The first tablet game I will have played will be the Pathfinder game I linked above.  ...But they are certainly popular.  Meanwhile, as long as you only *singe* each other and don't actually *burn* anybody, I'm just going to stay out of the way.  lol

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I detest phones of any sort, and I wouldn't play a game on a phone to save my sanity (yeah, I'd rather go round the bend than mess with that sort of crap on a phone) - however, it's obvious that I'm about 4 generations out of date....

Your blanket hatred for the mobile world might be preventing you from enjoying a generations old genre: Dungeon Crawler RPG's. I'm not a huge fan of mobile app's nor mobile games (I literally dislike trying new app's of any sort). However, I also detest the idea of not being on the forefront of technology. One of my recent favorite Dungeon Crawlers is Legend of Grimrock, and they recently released their grid-based crawler rpg for mobile devices: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/legend-of-grimrock/id965096605?mt=8

I beat both LoG 1 & 2 on a PC, but I have to say that grid-based RPG gaming has the potential to make a huge comeback via the mobile platform. It's a perfect marriage, imo (eg, using an iPad to solve puzzles and combat enemies in an grid-based world seems like the best use of an iPad ever lol).

And hey guys - be nice to each other okay?

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/game-info/hko-basics

Edited by Zenbane
  • Like 1

It is as hard if not harder to make success in mobile platforms than it is to make them in more traditional platforms.

For example King released Candy Crush Saga in 2011, and it is still their most money making game with large margin their other attempts have failed more or less.

Another example Supercell released Clash of Clans 2012 and it is still their most money making game with large margin their other attempts to make other success full tittles have failed more or less.

Both this companies sold themselves with billions of dollars (King $5.9 billion and with their current income rate it takes 10 years to pay itself back, although that isn't usually that important in this big acquisitions. Supercell owners got $1.5 billion for 51% of their company)

Third example Rovio released Angry Birds 2009 (which is franchise that has over billion downloads and has produced over billion dollars worth of revenue for Rovio) and it is still their only IP that produces significantly money, but now that its popularity has started to fade, Rovio has started to face financial problems and started to layoff their employees.

Of course you don't need to have similar success that previously mentioned companies to make money in mobile games, but then you usually need to be prepared to make dozens of small games per year if you want to keep company with over 100 peoples up and running.

Yep. Same with Facebook games. Farmville was the next great thing and Zynga had a licence to print money- right up until they didn't- and everyone thought FB games would be the next big thing. In reality 'Discovery' is even harder on mobile platforms, one or two titles do very well but most, don't. Who knows, maybe Game of War or whatever the big mobile game is at the moment will have such successful sequels that they can hire Mariah Carey and Kate Upton to do adverts simultaneously instead of sequentially, but I won't be betting on it.

It is as hard if not harder to make success in mobile platforms than it is to make them in more traditional platforms.

For example King released Candy Crush Saga in 2011, and it is still their most money making game with large margin their other attempts have failed more or less.

Another example Supercell released Clash of Clans 2012 and it is still their most money making game with large margin their other attempts to make other success full tittles have failed more or less.

Both this companies sold themselves with billions of dollars (King $5.9 billion and with their current income rate it takes 10 years to pay itself back, although that isn't usually that important in this big acquisitions. Supercell owners got $1.5 billion for 51% of their company)

Third example Rovio released Angry Birds 2009 (which is franchise that has over billion downloads and has produced over billion dollars worth of revenue for Rovio) and it is still their only IP that produces significantly money, but now that its popularity has started to fade, Rovio has started to face financial problems and started to layoff their employees.

Of course you don't need to have similar success that previously mentioned companies to make money in mobile games, but then you usually need to be prepared to make dozens of small games per year if you want to keep company with over 100 peoples up and running.

I think you are making a big mistake there.  You are saying the mobile market is to blame for these companies now running into issues, the truth is the company is just run like ****.  Any company that makes 5 billion dollars and is somehow in financial trouble only has one thing to blame.  **** leadership, cause that is the only thing that can cause that hard a fall that fast. But easy billion dollar fluke success doesn't mean you know how to run a business, it means you got lucky, and it isn't a shocker that someone who found instant success might not know how to duplicate it or keep themselves liquid while trying.

Also no the "Candy Crush" variants haven't failed.  They just aren't making a million a week.  That's like saying the original Laura Croft reboot failed because it only sold one million copies.  Which is actually something Square Enix claimed at the time, they must have exaggerated though since the game recently got a sequel that probably cost more than the original.  You don't need 100 million downloads to make money with a mobile game.  You might not even need 1 million.

I think you are making a big mistake there.  You are saying the mobile market is to blame for these companies now running into issues, the truth is the company is just run like ****.  Any company that makes 5 billion dollars and is somehow in financial trouble only has one thing to blame.  **** leadership, cause that is the only thing that can cause that hard a fall that fast. But easy billion dollar fluke success doesn't mean you know how to run a business, it means you got lucky, and it isn't a shocker that someone who found instant success might not know how to duplicate it or keep themselves liquid while trying.

Also no the "Candy Crush" variants haven't failed.  They just aren't making a million a week.  That's like saying the original Laura Croft reboot failed because it only sold one million copies.  Which is actually something Square Enix claimed at the time, they must have exaggerated though since the game recently got a sequel that probably cost more than the original.  You don't need 100 million downloads to make money with a mobile game.  You might not even need 1 million.

Well, that might depend on how much profit a dev of that sort of game thinks is "making enough money"!  I wouldn't have any idea, myself - maybe they all look at the Candy Crush numbers and think that's the only way to go?

Edited by Oralaina

Mmm, reckon looking at Candy crush as an example is a major case of survivorship bias, concentrating on them and ignoring the majority of cases where mobile gaming companies make small profits or battle, not to mention the hordes of companies who had the "next great idea" but are no longer around. It's a bit like someone telling you to start writing, because, hey look at how much money JK Rowling has made! It completely ignores the realities of business. We alway hear the success stories, the failures not so much.

Edited by rheingold
  • Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Mmm, reckon looking at Candy crush as an example is a major case of survivorship bias, concentrating on them and ignoring the majority of cases where mobile gaming companies make small profits or battle, not to mention the hordes of companies who had the "next great idea" but are no longer around. It's a bit like someone telling you to start writing, because, hey look at how much money JK Rowling has made! It completely ignores the realities of business. We alway hear the success stories, the failures not so much.

Agreed, although keep in mind that we are referring to the success of Candy Crush within the context of Obsidian's successful track record. While it is true that startup ideas with no experience nor background have a high risk of failing when entering a new competitive market, a veteran like Obsidian should yield a higher percent rate. There is no guarantee of success, of course, but statistically speaking, OBS is in good standing.

Agreed, although keep in mind that we are referring to the success of Candy Crush within the context of Obsidian's successful track record. While it is true that startup ideas with no experience nor background have a high risk of failing when entering a new competitive market, a veteran like Obsidian should yield a higher percent rate. There is no guarantee of success, of course, but statistically speaking, OBS is in good standing.

Obsidian has a lot of experience with RPG development - they don't have much experience with developing casual games. Risk would be lower than that of someone entirely new entering the market but it would still be too damn high.

Which is actually something Square Enix claimed at the time, they must have exaggerated though since the game recently got a sequel that probably cost more than the original.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is partially funded by Microsoft, which gives them timed Xbox exclusivity Edited by Fenixp

Obsidian has a lot of experience with RPG development - they don't have much experience with developing casual games. Risk would be lower than that of someone entirely new entering the market but it would still be too damn high.

So obviously you are not a very business-centric thinker; Obsidian has experience not just developing but also making business decisions. So even if you are correct in that their experience is that limited (you are wrong about that as well but lets ignore that), the business side of the brain solves this by forming a partnership...

INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property.

Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game

Their risk is certainly not too damn high, but the wrongfulness of your assumptions certainly is lol

*sigh* Zenbane, is there something with your brain which makes you physically unable to communicate in a polite fashion when somebody disagrees with you? I like some of things you have to say and you're right, partnership is a solution which did not come to my mind, that's useful information. Of course, presenting it as you did just makes me want to go back to ignoring you as opposed to carrying an argument, so... I'll just go and do that.

Edited by Fenixp

Goodness mister, why is it that any time something is presented with even the slightest trace of poopoo on it this is you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dcZ66783k

I only found out about that partnership because that same link and info was posted earlier in this thread, in the same conversation that you were apart of too. So when you said the risk is still too damn high I wrongfully assumed that you had already read this information. The irony is that you also got upset with me earlier in this thread for telling you to read better.

In any event, I was simply dismissive of your retort based on the fact that we had new information. My flaw is that I assumed you had read that information prior.

is there something with your brain which makes you physically unable to communicate in a polite fashion when somebody disagrees with you?

Yes.

Edited by Zenbane

Goodness mister, why is it that any time something is presented with even the slightest trace of poopoo on it this is you:

Mostly because I don't have to deal with poopoo from anyone but you alone. Even on the general boards. The politness around here is a small miracle on the internet, which makes you stand out like a sore thumb. Why do you think so many people react negatively to you around here? That's the point where you should stand back, look at what you're doing and think on it for a bit. Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this particular exchange.

I think the reaction is fairly standard as far as internet forum posting goes lol; some like it, some hate it. I'm definitely loud, but I do not engage in outright personal attacks (the same can't be said for others). Regardless, thick skin and a sense of humor go a long way. But enough digression, lets get back to making wagers on the success of Obsidian's first mobile game

But they don't make 5 billion dollars, but much less and problem behind their financial problems is of course in leadership and failure to make other games that are as successful as products that they are now for. But as I said you don't need as successful products that I used in my examples to make money in mobile market, but if you have company of that has hundred or more people you most likely need to make over ten games in year to keep company running without need of downsizing.

Tomb Raider reboot failed because it cost to make nearly 100 million of dollars and Square Enix needed it to sell over 6.5 million copies to make even. So even though it sold millions of copies and is best selling game in franchise it wasn't making money for SE at time they made their claim that situation has then changed and it has become profitable for them.

So how much you need to sell to be financially successful depends fully on how much you need to invest money on your products.

Like for example King has 1400 employees so they need to get quite lot money from the games they make to keep things running as they are now. So their failure to produce another Candy Crush puts their company in bad situation as if Candy Crush stops to make money their company will crash.

• Like 1

Mostly because I don't have to deal with poopoo from anyone but you alone. Even on the general boards. The politness around here is a small miracle on the internet, which makes you stand out like a sore thumb.

lol

(No, seriously, this board has much more unpleasant posters than him.)

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Mostly because I don't have to deal with poopoo from anyone but you alone. Even on the general boards. The politness around here is a small miracle on the internet, which makes you stand out like a sore thumb.

lol

The obs forum is a real pleasure, disagreeing with people is good, it would be hell of a boring if everyone went around agreeing with each other all the time. Now that I think about it, it'd make a great Monty Python skit having a world where no one ever disagrees....

But there are some real cesspits out there, cd red's forums, codex, Reddit, 4 chan.... The list goes on.

Obs forums, I think work well because the mods do a good job, but also I get the impression that the average age on the forums is, shall I say a tad more mature than many other gaming websites.

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

lol

The obs forum is a real pleasure, disagreeing with people is good, it would be hell of a boring if everyone went around agreeing with each other all the time. Now that I think about it, it'd make a great Monty Python skit having a world where no one ever disagrees....

But there are some real cesspits out there, cd red's forums, codex, Reddit, 4 chan.... The list goes on.

Obs forums, I think work well because the mods do a good job, but also I get the impression that the average age on the forums is, shall I say a tad more mature than many other gaming websites.

I'm just saying, I had people (okay, one person) accuse me of sexually harrassing them with scatophilic PMs when they ran out of arguments. Zenbane's particular brand of unpleasantness is far from the worst this forum has to offer.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

lol

I'm just saying, I had people (okay, one person) accuse me of sexually harrassing them with scatophilic PMs when they ran out of arguments. Zenbane's particular brand of unpleasantness is far from the worst this forum has to offer.

You can send me all the scatophilic content you have.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 5 weeks later...

Its now sold 680k on steam

Who was that guy who said the total audience of these games is half a million..

Its closing in on a million units on this lone format...with the devs getting a big cut these days its a massive success.

Seems like new young gamers like my kid brother getting a taste for these games...

just awesome

• Like 1

Its now sold 680k on steam

Who was that guy who said the total audience of these games is half a million..

Its closing in on a million units on this lone format...with the devs getting a big cut these days its a massive success.

Seems like new young gamers like my kid brother getting a taste for these games...

just awesome

I was that guy, I considered it a success also unlike some others. Its still around half a million isn't it? Of course the number will increase in time with price cuts and the game's being in some of the top games of 2015 lists atm, which I'm happy to see. 

I thought paradox only got a cut from the physical copies of the games since they were in charge with the physical copies?

So paradox wouldn't or shouldn't be getting a cut from gog/steam/etc sales.

Also been on bethsoft forums for years and have talked very badly of their games for quite some time and often and the only time I get warnings is when I use language or talk badly about someone and not the game.