I thought paradox only got a cut from the physical copies of the games since they were in charge with the physical copies?

So paradox wouldn't or shouldn't be getting a cut from gog/steam/etc sales.

Also been on bethsoft forums for years and have talked very badly of their games for quite some time and often and the only time I get warnings is when I use language or talk badly about someone and not the game.

Considering that Paradox also did some bugtesting, it's a bit more than that.

• 5 months later...

Seems Obsidian have had Pillars removed from steamspy. "Sorry, results for this game are hidden at request of the developer"

Pretty weird move, instead of telling us the actual sales numbers to go the opposite direction.

Why are you so afraid of sales numbers Obsidian?

• Like 1

Why are you so afraid of sales numbers Obsidian?

Ask Paradox, it's not just Pillars. All games with Paradox Interactive as publisher are hidden on SteamSpy for whatever reason. Just try searching for Stellaris.

There were a fair few articles when it was removed a few weeks ago, eg PC Gamer. The Steamspy notice should definitely say removed at the request of the publisher though.

It's probably related to Paradox going public and not wanting their new shareholders to get unvetted independent information more than any 'inaccuracy' though. Steamspy is generally fairly accurate as their methodology is robust, there's no reason for Paradox games to be special snowflakes whose numbers are persistently wrong.

Aren't public companies required to publicly disclose the numbers, though? Guess we'll get the real figures soon enough

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No, they're not required to- official sales numbers are usually released as PR, if they are at all. They do have to publicly disclose certain information as public companies but it's usually aggregate info, specific details are considered commercially sensitive.

You can actually download most of the big games companies' annual or quarterly reports to read and only a fraction of their games even get mentioned specifically let alone have any sales numbers.

Edited by Zoraptor

According to the best-selling list on GoG, Pillows are right under Witcher 3 and Divinity, so I guess it was selling great during GoG summer sale (also, Steam summer sale starts today).

Pillows of Eternity... Should be some badass Ondra artifact) Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 4