Most overpowered builds post patch 2.02

you know, an arena where your party can fight Specially Crafted Enemy Parties (backers maybe?) in progressive tiers of difficulty yielding better and better loot would be super awesome for POE 2.

definitely easier to implement and way more satisfying than another facebook-app stronghold :)

every tier would have parties/builds plucked straight from the forums for you to face lol

you know, an arena where your party can fight Specially Crafted Enemy Parties (backers maybe?) in progressive tiers of difficulty yielding better and better loot would be super awesome for POE 2.

I beg to differ. The Black Pits in BG:EE and BGII:EE were bad enough; let us stay clear of that.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just wanted to chime in here and give the Barbarian an honourable mention.

With stats allocated as follows:

Might: 18

Con: 10

Dex: 10

Int: 18

Per: 14

Resolve: 8

and with Frenzy (33%), Bloodlust (20%), a Durgan Enhanced Tidefall (15% or 20% can't remember) and the recovery penalty gloves (15%) with Durgan enhanced robes (Gwisk Glas is good) you can easily reduce base weapon recovery by nearly 70%-90% which means with a Dex bonus added in (let's say with the +3 dex ring) you'll end up completely whacking your opponents in a large AOE almost once a second. More speed can obviously be achieved through other means (e.g. hastening exhortation, potions of power) though bear in mind the cap is 100%.

Tidefall has the draining property which means as long as your dude is attacking more than 3 mobs at once and isn't being disabled he will be golden. For more mobs maybe throw on the lvl1 priest spell holy radiance to prevent interrupts or lay down crowd control.

Other builds have used Firebrand for this kind of approach but I don't think that's as valuable any more because (a) Firebrand now targets deflection rather than reflexes and (b) you lose a lot of accuracy by using Firebrand (The weapon itself and potentially your glove slot depending on what kind of support you have). Better to have tidefall for survivability imo.

I don't think any class can't match the Barbarians sustained AOE DPS - Wizards, Druids and Priests included.

Didn't they change Tidefall to no longer have the Draining effect?

^ they didn't; it was a bug that has since been fixed.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

game isnt made for pvp. there are no invisible enemies so there is no stealth detection mechanic. using invisibility as the rogue's trump card is plain stupid to be honest since there are no skills made to counter it because enemies dont use it.

every class can just stay stealth indefinably if there is a pvp fight. No characters would start a fight unstealthed and no one would break stealth because they cant find each other leading to a stalemate 100% of the time.

mate we have all acknowledged the game isn't made for pvp read the entire thread.

And where not talking about stealth where talking about the rogue ability shadowing beyond

the point is the entire time you are bending the rules in the imaginary pvp scenario to favor the rogues. because pvp doesn't exist people will just bend the imaginary settings anyway to favor any class they want.

and with Frenzy (33%), Bloodlust (20%), a Durgan Enhanced Tidefall (15% or 20% can't remember) and the recovery penalty gloves (15%) with Durgan enhanced robes (Gwisk Glas is good) you can easily reduce base weapon recovery by nearly 70%-90% which means with a Dex bonus added in (let's say with the +3 dex ring) you'll end up completely whacking your opponents in a large AOE almost once a second. More speed can obviously be achieved through other means (e.g. hastening exhortation, potions of power) though bear in mind the cap is 100%.

Tidefall has the draining property which means as long as your dude is attacking more than 3 mobs at once and isn't being disabled he will be golden. For more mobs maybe throw on the lvl1 priest spell holy radiance to prevent interrupts or lay down crowd control.

Other builds have used Firebrand for this kind of approach but I don't think that's as valuable any more because (a) Firebrand now targets deflection rather than reflexes and (b) you lose a lot of accuracy by using Firebrand (The weapon itself and potentially your glove slot depending on what kind of support you have). Better to have tidefall for survivability imo.

I don't think any class can't match the Barbarians sustained AOE DPS - Wizards, Druids and Priests included.

I can only get the the armour penalty gloves literally right at the end of the game, just before you fight thaos. Does anyone else no if you can get them anywhere else?

And a wizard with alacrity spamming fireballs will severely out dps a barbarian (the fireball is a fast cast spell)

Your barb build is also very balanced dude, it is not over powered at all, play the game a few more times on POTD dude

Precisely. Tidefall restores Endurance. The Grey Sleeper is pretty neat but, strictly speaking, Tidefall is a better weapon in the hands of a high-MIG character.

Precisely. Tidefall restores Endurance. The Grey Sleeper is pretty neat but, strictly speaking, Tidefall is a better weapon in the hands of a high-MIG character.

Why did he not think tidefall drained endurance? It clearly says it in the item description.

If you max perception I think grey sleeper is probably more powerful as you will crit more and induce procs, it is Definatley more powerful on any difficulty less then POTD as enemies have lower deflection

^ 2.0 introduced a new effect that steals attack speed and was also called Draining (now renamed to Siphoning.) The name made the new effect overwrite the original, so that Tidefall shipped with Siphoning. Then there was an issue whereby all weapons with Draining (restore Endurance on hit) were losing the ability upon saving/reloading. All of that has been fixed as 2.02 but the doubt is legitimate.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure the Paralyze effect from The Grey Sleeper proc's on hit as well as crit. The problem is that 10% chance of Paralyzing, while great, ain't quite on par with 25% extra damage over time + 25% of damage dealt restored as Endurance all the time, especially if your damage output is already large.

Edited by AndreaColombo

And a wizard with alacrity spamming fireballs will severely out dps a barbarian (the fireball is a fast cast spell)

Your barb build is also very balanced dude, it is not over powered at all, play the game a few more times on POTD dude

I did say sustained DPS to be fair - as of a patch coming quite soon per encounter spells are getting nerfed and all of the Vancian casters will only get one spell per-encounter per level. So sure, a Wizard can spam fireballs (or other spells) for one encounter but the Barbarian is better at keeping it up consistently and surviving. Depending on the number of enemies you're fighting you can be healing yourself for 40-50 endurance every hit; which is something a Wizard can't do under duress (thought Citzals with the new endurance draining chanter chant could be interesting). 

A Barbarian with the Blade of the Endless Paths will probably out-damage a Tidefall Barbarian too but he won't live half as long without the draining proc.

Edited by Livegood118

I Was going to create a new thread for this but I felt It relevant to leave it in here as this thead already will be a good read and helpful looking for people to build viable builds.

BARBARIANS ARE VASTLY INFERIOR TO FIGHTERS/ AND ROGUES

I have just spent the last few hours creating different barbarian builds from a save I made late game where I was able to hire henchman and build them up to level 13. I also had kept all the good items and weaponry throughout the game so I was able to give the barb the appropriate goodies to suit the different build paths I found viable.

I discovered a lot of interesting, obvious and blaringly fatal build paths and there are no strong builds for this class. Though obviously you would still be able to build a barb and finish the game on potd, a rogue or a fighter will be just be far stronger.  

Im only going to point out some the more obvious fatal weaknesses of the barb. There are far more though

1. THE FRENZY BUILD. This is flawed in so many ways I cant even begin where to start.

First of all it is not a passive ability like the rogues reckless assault (which is far stronger compared to frenzy anyway),

Secondly the frenzy has a surprisingly short time limit on it before it expires 12 seconds, (can be increased with INT)

Thirdly to activate this ability you need to do the equivalent of casting an average speed spell. The opportunity cost to this is that your Barbarian has to stand there and have a hissy fit at the start of combat while your other melee characters start to position. By the time the barbarian has positioned you would have lost probably 30% off the time from you frenzy duration.

Fourthly, you loose ten deflection from already a very deflection prone frontline character anyway. On path of the dammed this deflection is essential due to the enemies having higher accuracy and therefore being able to crit you more often. The Rogue loses 2 deflection from reckless assault (once upgraded) and as I have mentioned above the RA is vastly superior in the fist place even before taking this deflection penalty into consideration. 

2 MIN MAXING AND RAW STATS LATE GAME

1. You are absolutely forced to max your barbarians Intelligence even if you don't take the frenzy build, the barb is a frontline character so these are less points you can spend on str, dex, perc. These stats are essential to melee characters.

2. You absolutely must have high Perception on POTD. The barbarian has lower starting accuracy to fighters and rogues and the only strong point of the barbarian build is carnage which can apply afflictions with certain weapons on crits to mobs. You need the high Perc to land these crits.

3. Dexterity is the third most important stat to put points into,

3. Let me compare some raw stats from my late game fighter (after patch 2.03 to my late game barb) both builds with no weapons or armor equipped or any buffs activated, that's why I call them raw stats. To make my barbarian both survivable and able to deal damage on POTD I had to min max by barb as above and slightly dump some other stats. My fighter has min maxed in a melee classes strong points eg perception, might, resolve, dexterity

level 13 fighter deflection 79

level 13 barbarian deflection 49

level 13 fighter accuracy 69

level 13 barbarian accuracy 68 (remember I think PERC is the most important stat on POTD, may barbs perception here has been maxed to 20 and my fighters is 15) 

level 13 fighter health/ endurance  1008/202

level 13 barb health/ endurance  936/ 156 (this is with completely dumping the barbs con and leaving the fighters at 7, only 4 points difference. I was forced to do this to give the barb the other high stats it requires to be a viable melee character.

3. THE SUPPOSESED POWERFULL FORTIDUDE TARGETING CARANAGE CRITTING BUILD THAT WILL APPLY AFFLICTIONS TO MOBS.

1. This ability got nerfed to not include spell striking so jolt of touch will not work on it anymore

2. on POTD it is far harder to crit enemies then on lower difficulties. Even with Perc maxed and remember the barb has a lower accuracy compared to fighters and rogues

3. The carnage attack is made with a lowered accuracy, therefore making it even harder to apply cits and afflictions from these weapons

4. even if the crit is landed the mob will still get an opportunity to avoid the affliction by making a save and saves are increased on POTD.

5. Any wizard, cipher, druid, chanter, preist can apply a more powerful affliction eg stun, petrify , dominate to a mob when they are postioned out of melee combat. Guys seriously this is a STUPID STUPID build.

4. THE OPPORTUNITY COST OF MAKING A BARBARIAN.

1. Just to compensate for all the barbs weaknesses compared to fighters and rogues I had to select talents and abilities upon level just to make my barb able to do what a fighter and rogue can do anyway. Fighters and Rogues are able to select far more talents that  ADD to there abilities not ones that are selected to simply make up for major weaknesses

• Like 1

all of the other martial classes are better than the barbarian at straight-up damage-per-swing: fighters get weapon mastery, rogues get several damage talents, and monks get... a ton of cool stuff. heh. all three of these classes have better deflection and better ACC than the barbarian. the paladin is the only martial class that would normally do less damage than the barbarian straight-up but they still have better deflection, and their FoD ability has built-in +20 ACC bonus, and they bring a TON of other stuff to the table to help out the party.

HOWEVER

the barbarian has two things that set him apart: an insanely large pool of endurance and health, and the ability to strike multiple enemies per swing and inflict an on-crit or on-hit affliction to all of them at once. think hard about this for a moment!

with high INT, PER and DEX the barbarian can:

- pretty much permanently keep a group of 3-5 mobs prone on the floor by using any of the million prone-on-crit weapons, the best one being Tall-Grass. the fact that it's a reach weapon makes it even better.
- keep himself almost indefinitely healthy by using a draining weapon, like Tidefall, sucking up endurance from 3-5 mobs per swing while already enjoying the largest pool of health/endurance available to any class.
- keep those 3-5 mobs stun-locked with the awesome combo of the stun-on-crit warhammer and a second weapon that inflicts -5 on their defenses. he can also replace the stun-on-crit warhammer with the prone-on-crit battleaxe.

these 3 options are available to all classes, but the barbarian is the ONLY martial class that can AoE-disable. that's pretty good.

IMO i currently rank these martial classes like so:

best single-target damage dealer: rogue

best single-target tank: fighter

best single-target hybrid of tanking and dealing damage: fighter/monk, it's a toss up.

best single-target hybrid of melee and ranged: paladin

only multi-target martial class that can AoE disable enemy groups: barbarian

they're literally in a class of their own. i wouldn't consider them overpowered though (none of the classes are); the closest to an "op" class right now would probably be the paladin, mostly down to their auras, faith and conviction, their heals, their saving throws versus afflictions and flames of devotion being per-encounter and crazy accurate and available as either melee or ranged option. their on-hit abilities like inspired triumph and so on are also worth mentioning. i really really really really like paladins :)

all of the other martial classes are better than the barbarian at straight-up damage-per-swing: fighters get weapon mastery, rogues get several damage talents, and monks get... a ton of cool stuff. heh. all three of these classes have better deflection and better ACC than the barbarian. the paladin is the only martial class that would normally do less damage than the barbarian straight-up but they still have better deflection, and their FoD ability has built-in +20 ACC bonus, and they bring a TON of other stuff to the table to help out the party.

HOWEVER

the barbarian has two things that set him apart: an insanely large pool of endurance and health, and the ability to strike multiple enemies per swing and inflict an on-crit or on-hit affliction to all of them at once. think hard about this for a moment!

with high INT, PER and DEX the barbarian can:

- pretty much permanently keep a group of 3-5 mobs prone on the floor by using any of the million prone-on-crit weapons, the best one being Tall-Grass. the fact that it's a reach weapon makes it even better.

- keep himself almost indefinitely healthy by using a draining weapon, like Tidefall, sucking up endurance from 3-5 mobs per swing while already enjoying the largest pool of health/endurance available to any class.

- keep those 3-5 mobs stun-locked with the awesome combo of the stun-on-crit warhammer and a second weapon that inflicts -5 on their defenses. he can also replace the stun-on-crit warhammer with the prone-on-crit battleaxe.

these 3 options are available to all classes, but the barbarian is the ONLY martial class that can AoE-disable. that's pretty good.

IMO i currently rank these martial classes like so:

best single-target damage dealer: rogue

best single-target tank: fighter

best single-target hybrid of tanking and dealing damage: fighter/monk, it's a toss up.

best single-target hybrid of melee and ranged: paladin

only multi-target martial class that can AoE disable enemy groups: barbarian

they're literally in a class of their own. i wouldn't consider them overpowered though (none of the classes are); the closest to an "op" class right now would probably be the paladin, mostly down to their auras, faith and conviction, their heals, their saving throws versus afflictions and flames of devotion being per-encounter and crazy accurate and available as either melee or ranged option. their on-hit abilities like inspired triumph and so on are also worth mentioning. i really really really really like paladins :)

What difficulty are you playing on? I can't even keep 1 enemy (that is half powerful) with my rogue stun locked with a stunning weapon on POTD. And my rogues accuracy vastly superior to a barbs let alone a barb using carnage with an even lower accuracy to the barbs or airy attack.

The high endurance you have mentioned is not relevant. You have to dump con to get the high perception needed on POTD. God knows where you'd be getting the other points from cause I can't find them. Do you have stat adding items equipped? You need to look at raw stats as a fighter and rogue can add stat adding items also

Brindle, brindle, brindle... ts ts ts.

Don't you read what I wrote?

The interrupting/disabling barb only works properly on PotD if you not only use Threatening Presence and Brute Force to lower the defenses of the enemies, but also a priest that casts Painful Interdiction on the mob. How can you say a build is crap when you don't do it properly? I also bet you didn't even try it out properly. My build suggested Mabec's Morning Star, the stunning warhammer or Tall Grass. Did you use this?

If you're attacking enemies that still won't get critted by carnage, you can cast the Inspiring Radiance from said priest (+4 acc), use a paladin for another +6, add Gauntlets of Accuracy and take accurate carnage (which I would do anyways). Altogether: -40 fortitude and will for the enemies, +15 acc for you (+20 for your carnage). Add interrupting blows and max out perception with items. I used this build in a whole PotD walkthrough and it was one of the best I ever had. All my rogues were good of course, but this barb was just amazing.

You just read stuff, make assumptions and then you caps-lock-rant about how inferior biilds are compared to rogues and fighters. They are not! It all depends on your party composition. If it wheren't so six rogues would be the absolute best party. But they are not! They are a crappy party. You just concentrate on DPS to much. But pure DPS doesn't make the game easy. For you it's: lots of DPS = OP - which is totally wrong. It's the mix that counts.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The interrupting/disabling barb only works properly on PotD if you not only use Threatening Presence and Brute Force to lower the defenses of the enemies, but also a priest that casts Painful Interdiction on the mob. How can you say a build is crap when you don't do it properly? I also bet you didn't even try it out properly. My build suggested Mabec's Morning Star, the stunning warhammer or Tall Grass. Did you use this?

If you're attacking enemies that still won't get critted by carnage, you can cast the Inspiring Radiance from said priest (+4 acc), use a paladin for another +6, add Gauntlets of Accuracy and take accurate carnage (which I would do anyways). Altogether: -40 fortitude and will for the enemies, +15 acc for you (+20 for your carnage). Add interrupting blows and max out perception with items. I used this build in a whole PotD walkthrough and it was one of the best I ever had. All my rogues were good of course, but this barb was just amazing.

You just read stuff, make assumptions and then you caps-lock-rant about how inferior biilds are compared to rogues and fighters. They are not! It all depends on your party composition. If it wheren't so six rogues would be the absolute best party. But they are not! They are a crappy party. You just concentrate on DPS to much. But pure DPS doesn't make the game easy. For you it's: lots of DPS = OP - which is totally wrong. It's the mix that counts.

dude you've completely ignored my entire post.

IT IS BASED OF RAW STATS with no items, buffs from priests ect...............

If you want to look at it that way then I can have preists cast vastly more powerful buffs on a fighter or a rogue and I can equip the fighter or rogues with the same weapons

building a melee glass cannon to sit in the middle of a bunch of mobs and attempt to sun lock them on POTD is just plain stupid. That's what wizards, ciphers, druids do, but from a safe distance.

and a wtf does a preist have to do with this???? I may aswell say a cipher has just amplified waved my entire screen so my monk can punch it

Pretty silly for anyone to think Barbs are a bad class. A bit limited in what they do, sure, but they're amazing at what they do, i.e. mow down packs of trash at melee range. And a large part of the combat in this game is mowing down packs of trash at melee range. I'd rather remove any other melee from my frontline than the Barb, just as they do so much good work in such a frequent part of the game.

It's kinda funny how that strength pretty much entirely comes from Carnage as well. The rest of Barb's class talents are somewhat unfocused and negligible, but Carnage alone is so amazing it carries the rest. Sorta like the anti-fighter, who gets absolutely no help from their core talent, but gets a nice +.25 mod and 13% speed boost. (okay, it isn't that great. poor fighter). A 1.95 mod + aoe 1.3 mod adds up to a lot of damage on the incredible amount of trash in this game, even compared to a rogues 3.25. And that's not even taking into account the slowing of all incoming damage from the interrupts and stun.

That said, a Brute Force based approach isn't necessary at all for a Barb to work right, nor even ideal. All those on-crit stun weapons are great for all classes, not just Barb, and they don't work the Fort formula. And neither do Barbs need to work the Fort formula, as it's so easy to work the deflection formula, which all martial classes will benefit from. Granted, I haven't played 2.03 yet, so I don't know if the old plan of '4 dudes with stun weapons up front, some dude blinds them, stun lock everything to death' plan is a no go against mobs due to immunities.

Now attacking a reflex score would be the bees knees for some melee talent, as that generally gets the same deflection hit, with a bonus on top.

Edited by Teioh_White

Also you don't need max stats, 15s can get it done.

Try something like:

Might 10 or 15

Con 13 or 10 and add 3 to whatever

Dex  15 or 10

Per  15

Int   15

Res 10

If dual wielding good pairs are Flails - unforgiven -speed enchant + Starcaller - fast speed stun on hit. Warhammers - Strike hard - -def on hit and speed + Shatterstar -bigger interrupt or Godansthunyr - stun on hit, Spears - craftable one with stun + the one with -def on hit.

Two hander - Mabec's Morningstar, Tall Grass, Hours of St Rumbault, Grey Sleeper

Or you can skip the on crit affliction weapons and go for speed, endurance draining, - defense on hit types.

Can some please explain to me why you would build an entire melee class to sit in the middle of a group of enemies (let's say a semi- tough bounty fight) and attempt to do what any wizard, cipher, druid can do at a distance and with far more chance of succeeding and with far more POWER with a simple spell like amplified wave, relentless storm, or petrify?

I mean you guys have told me this is possible, I built it this morning and actually tried and and this is the comparison I am giving you.

• Like 1

A Barbarian can lock down the mob with every swing and can do it all day long in every encounter. Casters will run out of spells, even a Cipher only has enough focus for one Amplified Wave and then has to do normal attacks to regen.

To really make it work you need the Priest to cast his per encounter ability that debuffs fortitude, I think it is Painful Interdiction.

Going for the damage route gets the Barbarian hitting multiple foes with every swing. Maybe he hits only half as hard as your Rogue but he is hitting 4 or 5 guys at a time. All together he is doing twice the damage of your Rogue in certain situations.