Spells and abilities become unavailable if you cast them right before a mid-combat cutscene

Infinitron

Question

This happened to me on 2.01 and I forgot to report it. I don't know if there are any "mid-combat cutscenes" in the game other than during the battle with Thaos, which is where I suffered it.

When you bring Thaos' health low enough, a cutscene plays where he transfers his soul to one of the statues. If you're casting a spell right when the cutscene begins, the spell is cancelled but you're unable to cast it again. It's grayed out, like all spells are during their casting animation, but permanently so.

This can be a big problem that destroys your strategy for winning the battle.

Edited by Infinitron

5 answers to this question

Hello Infinitron,

Could you please upload your save before the Thaos fight? 

Thanks a bunch!

Don't have one anymore I'm afraid. I do have a Burial Isle save if you want to play through the entire Sun in Shadow to get there.

You should be able to reproduce this with anyone's save, though.

Edited by Infinitron

I'm almost there in my play through; I'll post my save.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thank you Andrea, 

I have a save that is before the Thaos fight. I have been unsuccessful on reproing the bug, but I am still testing it out. 

Cheers!

You have to get the spell off at just the right moment. It happened to me when I was spamming Slickens on the statues with Aloth while attacking Thaos with my other guys. After the cutscene where Thaos transferred his soul into one of the statues, I couldn't use Slicken anymore.

Edited by Infinitron