Even with latest patch, melee rogue is unbelievably horrible.

Just tried melee rogue, see if it sucked any less, nope, still sucks real bad.   I mean really bad.   Tried it on POTD Trial of Iron, died to three xaurip's. I was level 2.  Missed the backstab from stealth, missed the blinding strike, then proceeded to do 4-5 dmg until I died.   Rogue is horrible. 

I already know that ranged rogue is viable, but not melee rogue.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Really dude? You play on the hardest possible difficulty settings, and then blame the character class?

Methinks melee rogue is pretty awesome if he has a meat shield to help him out.  

Also, sometimes you're just plain unlucky and miss a few strikes in a row (1-100 roll leaves quite a bit left to chance). If might be wise to not judge the class until you play a little more. 

• Like 1

I use a build similar to the Blue Prince of Persia (dual wield sabres):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

I must say that it is both incredibly fun and incredibly powerful. But if you insist on playing on the highest difficulty and possibly going solo:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79744-tcs-rogue-dw-sabre-4-shot-thaos-1-bs-1-cs/

Of course I believe that was pre-2.0 but my point is that the melee rogue is powerful, fun and can solo the game if played well.

Ehm, what? On highest difficulty, yes, probably rogue isnt so powerful, but who is?

I played dual sabre rogue, solo, on easy difficulty and it was great fun. Harder locations was only Concelhauts tower and mercenary outside + some of the datadisk sidequests.

Why are you leading with a Rogue? Lead with a tankier character, run in and pick off stragglers with the Rogue or flank engaged units and tear them up. I've been running a dual wielding Orlan Rogue in POTD for a while (in The White March currently) and she is a terror. Crits, interrupts and high damage all day with mobility abilities to re-position when necessary. She can't do it all alone, but that's why you have multiple members in a party.

If you rush three Xaurips at level 1-2 without potions then of course you're going to be destroyed; you can't survive their attacks long enough to get the job done. Just sounds like you need to improve your play, melee Rogue is fine when used intelligently. They are not meant to solo groups, not even at low levels.

Edited by View619

If you are tanking with your Rogue your entire build has to adapt to the fact that he/she needs to take massive hits which means he/she will lose out on scoring the massive DPS they are capable of.

I play on PoTD and admittedly early stage from 1-3 approximate my rogue was not very great because I had her sitting around a lot waiting for openings in combat and she did not have the best weapons or a lot of cool talents/abilities.  Beyond that however she took over as highest dps in all my statistics.

If you are solo playing a Rogue that is going to be a challenge without luring them away until you can get something like girdle of driving wave and perhaps multiple hobbles/stuns and blinds and a weapon that does that for you.  However playing a Rogue solo is pretty much a challenge.

I would at least duo play with a Rogue to have fun unless your going for the challenge of it.  Fighter and Especially Paladin work well side by side with a Rogue.

Rogue is in the top single target dps category.  I would say they are in the top slot unless you build another class with some serious refinement to match the Rogue's awesomeness.

Rogue is my favorite class.  Early stage I got her the Stilettos Azureith and Oidhreacht right away.  One of which has the ability to leech endurance.

If you think Rogues suck you are definitely not playing them correctly because they are ridiculously powerful.

That's another one to add to the pile of "at least one instance of every single class / subtype complained to be OP or UP". One of the best damage dealers & easily capable of TCS, melee rogue is.

Moved to a more relevant forum.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect that this thread is coming from Trolloland by the way !

"My hyperoffensive character is UP because he died once in PotD Trial of Iron" does not seem a real concern.

This guy (the op) is a confirmed troll.

Or he really stupid.

Either way melee rogue rocks and yes you can solo with him.

If you want to ToI you obviously need to test out how safe a fight is on a regular save before you go in.

This guy (the op) is a confirmed troll.

Or he really stupid.

Either way melee rogue rocks and yes you can solo with him.

If you want to ToI you obviously need to test out how safe a fight is on a regular save before you go in.

Luzarius only plays games going headfirst into the hardest hardcore mode blind, and streams them on his Twitch channel. That's literally the idea behind it, and he finds it fun and there's an audience for that. Great, more power to him playing as he (and his audience) enjoys.

That said, what he should not do is take that intentionally limited experience and generalize about an entire class, in a game that's balanced for gamers who expect their mastery to gradually develop over hundreds of hours of gameplay, reading about mechanics, and developing progressively more effective strategies.

Completely disagree with op,

Melee rogue and wizard are by far the 2 most powerful builds if built right.

I noticed the op picked the backstab talent....................just proves he has no idea, backstab is a wage of a talent, as a rogue you can permanently lock down and opponent with sneak attacks, death blows and crits and kill them before they can even blink

Stupid stupid stupid op

• Like 1

This is one of the most newbie post I have ever seen.

Right now melee rogues are as amazing as ever, even if all those ranger buffs in the latest patches finally gived another decent option for a single target DPS class.

Btw with the per change one of the most funny things in my last PoTD run was that I was able to take tidefall as my 1st act 2 encounter in a min/maxed 6man party and that plus optimal gear (all random chest "unrandomed", adra dragon kill kind of rushed etc) gived me a wonderfull single target dps char from the very beginning of act 2 till basically the end, he srly looked so much ahead untill casters didnt have access to lvl 5+ spells :D

props:

insane damage

op from mid to late game

only char with 2 mechanics starting points -> the true reason why I hate so much to drop a rogue from a 6 man run :p

slops:

high micro 

not a caster (lvl 11+ drama :p)

Edited by B4nJ0
  • Like 1

Rogs are good. Yes, they die fast, but if they aren't focused they can kill fast too.

Sometimes they can just stay backlines with ranged weapon. But other times they flank and nuke the hell out of enemies