Any chance of getting the entire game voice acted?

Yes of course It must be expensive. But Its a budget choise issue. They didnt plan their budget to make full voice overs and I'm not saying that was wrong thing to do on their part. All I'm saying It could bring more sales when game is fully voice acted. There is a potential example: Fully voiceover (and with other lots of cool stuff) the enchanted edition of Origin Sin. If gamers still play old game and like their second run with It or new players who didnt bought the game at first, because of the, not full voice over and this time likes It even a complex game like Origin Sins or even a console player who is not that used to play not hand holding rpg, If these people becomes new potential buyers, this makes the market grow more by not changing the core elements of this beloved style, than It must be observed.

As I said before we should wait and see. 

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Yes of course It must be expensive. But Its a budget choise issue. They didnt plan their budget to make full voice overs and I'm not saying that was wrong thing to do on their part. All I'm saying It could bring more sales when game is fully voice acted. There is a potential example: Fully voiceover (and with other lots of cool stuff) the enchanted edition of Origin Sin. If gamers still play old game and like their second run with It or new players who didnt bought the game at first, because of the, not full voice over and this time likes It even a complex game like Origin Sins or even a console player who is not that used to play not hand holding rpg, If these people becomes new potential buyers, this makes the market grow more by not changing the core elements of this beloved style, than It must be observed.

There's some merit to what you're saying, sure. But there's no way of knowing for certain if the resources poured into VO would translate into greater return than applying those resources to more content, fixes, and gameplay enhancements (my instinct is the latter would generate more sales though).

The only issue I see with this is it's trying to change the game from what it is to something else. Kind of like the guy that was whining about the game needing ragdoll physics. Not the type of game for that. And the game was designed to have a lot of reading and little VO. I, like many others, would rather see any monetary resources spent elsewhere.

There's some merit to what you're saying, sure. But there's no way of knowing for certain if the resources poured into VO would translate into greater return than applying those resources to more content, fixes, and gameplay enhancements (my instinct is the latter would generate more sales though).

The only issue I see with this is it's trying to change the game from what it is to something else. Kind of like the guy that was whining about the game needing ragdoll physics. Not the type of game for that. And the game was designed to have a lot of reading and little VO. I, like many others, would rather see any monetary resources spent elsewhere.

An intentional choice from the developers - not a whim or a budgeting shortfall - this was the sort of game they wanted to make and they did - now is not the time to change horses mid-stream - if there are resources to spend do NOT waste them on unnecessary voice acting - spend them on improving and expanding the game you set out to make.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Yes It could be spent on elsewhere but also It could bring more revenue too. The core fan base could just turn It off and since new generation doesnt like to read It would be smooth change where doesnt hurt the core gameplay and add some sparks that new generation enjoy. But as I said before I donno about the descriptions. But they could be possible with lots of sound effects. 

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requires focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not, then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

I guess we will wait and see.  :w00t:

I assume the part of the player base that is too lazy too read won't be bothered to listen either. I foresee lots of dialogue skipping. :p

• Like 2

As others have stated, I'd much rather see the money spent on content and polish instead of VA (if budget is an issue).

To be honest, I liked how BG and BG2 did VA. The first line or was spoken to give the character some personality and then the player would keep that voice in their head as they read the rest of the dialogue. 

Only need enough VA to get a flavor. 

• Like 2

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requires focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not, then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

No offence but points missed IMHO. D:OS should fit in console market just fine, it's casual, has coop and eyecandy 3D graphics. I don't see where this game requires any focus on reading. Crafting is basically in-game cheat menu with being absolutely useless like 90% of it... I forced myself to read very poorly written and uninspired dialogs which were pretending to be funny, on second playthrough I skipped them and finished game just fine. Game has totally broken combat mechanics and completely out of logic pixel hunt puzzles. World is VERY small, so no handhilding needed really.

I assume the part of the player base that is too lazy too read won't be bothered to listen either. I foresee lots of dialogue skipping.  :p

I honestly don't see why lazy person who dislikes reading would get PoE in a first place.

Nice joke tho.

You might wana get your head out of the bong, couse Origin Sin is not a casual game.

...also I hope we wont have to review Origin Sin, under this thread.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

@ruzen

Well, since I beat it twice (second time on max difficulty) and it was like a walk in a park, because there are TOO many exploits in combat system which are easy to abuse and have some experience with Infinity Engine and other cRPG titles, I can surely say that D:OS is rather casual. Sure, it might not seem that way, but as soon as you get deeper in its mechainics, it becomes pretty obvious. Hence levelling, PoE's one being not most confusing leaves D:OS one MILES behind...

I really don't see the problem here, Luzarius has kindly offered to pay for all of the voice acting, let him do so. I'd upgrade his forum badge at the least though, maybe craft him a special one based on his role in funding the conversion of the game to being fully voice acted.

Anyway three cheers for the gent.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That's a very hard question, Mr. Ruzen, because Arcanum too had some real cheesy moments in it's mechanic (rather spammy and OP stuff), and breaking it down here would totally derail the disussion along with creating huge and unnecessary wall of text. I just made small remark on DOS, you can not agree with that, and I can prove my point with some arguments, but that would be obvious off topic...

Sure...It will be off topic...right

but I would like to see you make that explanation in another topic, because you may change the definition of "casual rpg" the way that world knows as today.

I've never heard another psychedelic idea since university. It will be nostalgia for me.

Yes It could be spent on elsewhere but also It could bring more revenue too. The core fan base could just turn It off and since new generation doesnt like to read It would be smooth change where doesnt hurt the core gameplay and add some sparks that new generation enjoy. But as I said before I donno about the descriptions. But they could be possible with lots of sound effects. 

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requers focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

You clearly don't understand how hideously expensive voice acting is.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cost to 100% voice act PoE would have been enough to have doubled the size of the actual game without voice acting.

As for allowing the core fan base to turn it off ... what would get turned off *IS* the core fan base!!!  IMO, they'd be seriously ticked off that Obsidian wasted all those perfectly good resources on something as useless as voice acting, when they could have been used to add new content ....  more areas, more NPC's, more spells, more whatever!!!

So you are making a statement about something that you dont know about. Ok. Nice talk.

Just because I don't know the actual numbers does NOT mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.  You can go stuff your snotty retorts where the sun don't shine.

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requers focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

You clearly don't understand how hideously expensive voice acting is.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cost to 100% voice act PoE would have been enough to have doubled the size of the actual game without voice acting.

As for allowing the core fan base to turn it off ... what would get turned off *IS* the core fan base!!!  IMO, they'd be seriously ticked off that Obsidian wasted all those perfectly good resources on something as useless as voice acting, when they could have been used to add new content ....  more areas, more NPC's, more spells, more whatever!!!

So you are making a statement about something that you dont know about. Ok. Nice talk.

Just because I don't know the actual numbers does NOT mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.  You can go stuff your snotty retorts where the sun don't shine.

Yea but why would I make the argument easy for you  :biggrin: ?  and also someone posted link already.

@ruzen

If you are really that curious, here you go: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82209-trying-to-decide-whether-to-give-this-a-second-chance/page-3

But that covers mostly combat mechanics (which are biggest indication of casuality in the game IMO). You can read only first part and skip the rest, where I talk about other games.

Sorry to mods for off-topic...