Any chance of getting the entire game voice acted?

The new Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition includes voice acting for every line of dialogue in their game.  This is a major update they're pushing out in about a week.  The game went from barely any voice acting to all of it being voice acted, pretty impressive.

Any chance Pillars of Eternity could do that? The massive amounts of reading in this game kills me.  I'd pay for it.

• Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

This game is meant to be read. This is in the same manner as Infinity Engine games that PoE is based on. It has been stated many times (most notably by JES) that if you don't like to read, you will not fully enjoy the game.

• Like 5

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'm fine with the whole game not being fully voice acted, but I wish all the lines were voiced for character that do have voice acting.  It's kind of annoying to go from a voice line to an unvoiced line.  This was fine in a game like Baldur's Gate 2 since only the first line for characters were voiced.

Obsidian certainly improved this aspect with the 2 new companions in the White March since 95% of their lines were voiced.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son
  • Like 2

Obsidian certainly improved this aspect with the 2 new companions in the White March since 95% of their lines were voiced.

At least I have that to look forward to.

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Voice acting could be good but I dont know about heavily descriptions. With lots of sound effects, maybe like a radio theatre It could be done. I like reading too but I dont mind a full voiceover. For those who doesnt want to hear voices I belive they can just add a click button to turn It off. Everyone happy.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Voice acting could be good but I dont know about heavily descriptions. With lots of sound effects, maybe like a radio theatre It could be done. I like reading too but I dont mind a full voiceover. For those who doesnt want to hear voices I belive they can just add a click button to turn It off. Everyone happy.

Everyone except those who will miss the actual game improvements that could have been done with the money wasted on more voice acting.

• Like 6

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Everyone except those who will miss the actual game improvements that could have been done with the money wasted on more voice acting.

Yup.  Not a fan of VA at all, never have been.  LOT of things I'd rather have in games.

God damn it.

well, since you said that you'll pay for it luzarius, i'm all for it. :)

i guess it's why producing a game isn't so easy and Brandon Adler who i believe is producer for PoE isn't having an easy task. How many lines will there be, will the authors successfully write the lines so that they get their point accross without needing to use too many lines, what actors shall i get tom cruise or some unkknown VA actor to read the lines etc... In this style of game the main protagonist doesn't speak so that cuts the costs since the main char is the one with the most lines.

As far as don't liking VA, i guess an option to turn it off is the solution.

Since half of the dialogue contains descriptions, you're going to be reading it anyway. Even full VA won't change that.

Clearly you haven't played the so called masterpiece Bastion :p

Sure VA the whole game OP!  Obsidian just needs you to pay pal them around 5 million dollars to budget it.  No biggy.

• Like 2

I fully expect PoE2 to have a lot more voiced dialogue, since the base game system will already be in place as well as money in Obsidian's bank from this game and expansion.

I would love more voiced dialogue for the main characters and party members. All that dialogue should be voiced imo. But, games like this need a lot of it to be read. It's a role playing game for a reason, right?

• Like 2

Exactly.  Excessive voice acting is money wasted that could have gone towards adding new content, improving the existing game, and so many other things.  OTOH, voice acting adds nothing but some audio for those who are too lazy to read.

• Like 2

I'd pay for it.

well, since you said that you'll pay for it luzarius, i'm all for it. :)

Oh, I totally misinterpreted that first statement earlier.

Well that's just dandy! Thanks luzarius, you're the backiest backer of all :w00t:

I'd rather see all those dollars spent elsewhere.

Ditto.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

After playing this game for awhile I had a strong feeling that VA wasn't even planned for this game and arrived later, it's pretty obvious from dialogue constructions. I'm tempted to completely turn off voices because this way it won't break the flow of reading (like it does now), but overall acting is good, so skipping it feels like a waste.

What I'd really like is total in-game text revamp, so reading won't hurt hearing and vice versa, but that's probably will never happen... Hope PoE2 will be better thought-out on this matter.

Edited by Stoner

perhaps they originally planned to have just the initial line spoken but then thought it would be cool to have more lines spoken.

The dialogue lines (white) are already separated from the descriptive text by colour, so that's in Obs files/code also separated. Could they make a second dialogue version with only white colour (dialogue lines) showing and after the text autoformat implement a toggle in the game options?

Yes It could be spent on elsewhere but also It could bring more revenue too. The core fan base could just turn It off and since new generation doesnt like to read It would be smooth change where doesnt hurt the core gameplay and add some sparks that new generation enjoy. But as I said before I donno about the descriptions. But they could be possible with lots of sound effects. 

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requires focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not, then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

I guess we will wait and see.  :w00t:

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Yes It could be spent on elsewhere but also It could bring more revenue too. The core fan base could just turn It off and since new generation doesnt like to read It would be smooth change where doesnt hurt the core gameplay and add some sparks that new generation enjoy. But as I said before I donno about the descriptions. But they could be possible with lots of sound effects. 

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requers focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

You clearly don't understand how hideously expensive voice acting is.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cost to 100% voice act PoE would have been enough to have doubled the size of the actual game without voice acting.

As for allowing the core fan base to turn it off ... what would get turned off *IS* the core fan base!!!  IMO, they'd be seriously ticked off that Obsidian wasted all those perfectly good resources on something as useless as voice acting, when they could have been used to add new content ....  more areas, more NPC's, more spells, more whatever!!!

• Like 3

and also I'm very curius about how will avarage rpg players and console players going to react, Enchanted Origin Sin. Because there are zero handholdings and quest & crafting are far more complex than Pillars that requers focus on dialoges and reading. If this is success, than Pillars must study what did they do correct but If It's not then maybe VoiceOver doesnt bring that much fuel to new players to continue playing.

You clearly don't understand how hideously expensive voice acting is.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cost to 100% voice act PoE would have been enough to have doubled the size of the actual game without voice acting.

As for allowing the core fan base to turn it off ... what would get turned off *IS* the core fan base!!!  IMO, they'd be seriously ticked off that Obsidian wasted all those perfectly good resources on something as useless as voice acting, when they could have been used to add new content ....  more areas, more NPC's, more spells, more whatever!!!

So you are making a statement about something that you dont know about. Ok. Nice talk.

After playing this game for awhile I had a strong feeling that VA wasn't even planned for this game and arrived later, it's pretty obvious from dialogue constructions.

Oh no, it was planned. But I think Josh said somewhere that the team had to relearn how to balance spoken lines with description in the text, and didn't get it quite right in some instances.

The new Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition includes voice acting for every line of dialogue in their game.  This is a major update they're pushing out in about a week.  The game went from barely any voice acting to all of it being voice acted, pretty impressive.

Any chance Pillars of Eternity could do that? The massive amounts of reading in this game kills me.  I'd pay for it.

D:OSEE has a much weaker characters and conversation and less. But main reason for this is that they are releasing the game on consoles and console peasants cannot read obviously.

Unless Obsidian also decides to release PoE on console, I don't see them ever investing so much money.

So you are making a statement about something that you dont know about. Ok. Nice talk.

As were you to be fair.  Both theorycrafting so both equally valid.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I am a part of the "new generation" and I'd like to see no voice acting outside of combat. Not being fully voiced doesn't hurt the game play at all, IMO.

• Like 1