2.03 patch changes teased

So, Josh has been tweeting some changes from the upcoming 2.03 patch. Every single one of them fills me with joy.

tB1VPtS.png

It is known that I am a fan of damage immunities (though I do not necessarily agree with all damage immunities in PoE; but I'm in favor of them as a concept.) Affliction immunities were long called for, and will complement damage immunities nicely. I'm all for wanton massacres but that a tiny orlan Fighter could knock a fully grown dragon prone was a tad on the cheesy, non-sense-making side. It was also about time CC stopped being overpowered; I like CC as much as the next guy, but being able to stun-lock my enemies in every encounter was possibly too much.

Fighters getting a boost is something many people were asking for. I was fine with Fighters already, and my Lady of Pain build will become even more powerful. "Armored Grace", "Knock Down", and "Clear Out" are abilities I take all the time and they're about to become even better. +5 Deflection is gravy. w00t!

Now to hope TMW II brings even better enemy A.I. to the table :)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 8

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I would welcome a fix for the inventory bug. I just started a game in 2.02 and it's not cool at all. You pick an item from your inventory and, while you are "carrying" it in your mouse pointer, another item pops in its place straight from your stash.

Combat is very much broken and IMO needs a redesign from the bottom-up (for PoE2) in order to pose challenge and offer variety in the way the IE games' combat did. TWM was a step in the right direction, mainly thanks to the improved design of encounters and areas, probably a result of Obsidian's experience built up while working on the base game. I'm just skeptical about what can be accomplished with the current base-100 system which granulates effects down to hundreds of a second.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Do you think the CC changes will be across the board immunities such as Dragons can not be CC at all? Or more like they can't be knockdowned prone but can still be mind effected like confusion and domination?

If it is across the board the encounters will need to be rebalanced as I'm not sure you can take some of the Dragons without locking them down. If it is only physical attacks that get affected then spells become even more powerful and required.

One good thing about the Fighters getting a buff is that lots of the enemy are Fighters and will get stronger. I still think a Monk will outclass a Fighter by a bunch even with the proposed changes. Maybe there are some cool details that Josh left out that will make me have to eat crow.

Not sure about CC immunities; my hope is that they are selective. It doesn't make sense for you to be able to knock a dragon prone but you can probably still stun or blind it.

Same with other critters who might be immune to mind control but vulnerable to knock downs etc.

After playing Zahua I've come to enjoy Monks quite a bunch. I still have a penchant for Fighters, though, and I too hope there is more to their revamp than Josh wrote. Clear Out could be per encounter, for example.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

CC is for Crowd Control.

"Crowd Control" are spells or effects that disable ennemies or weaken their offensive capabilities.

For example, paralysis or blindness are crowd control effects.

CC immunities means for example that an ennemy could be immune to charm or blind effects.

Don't worry. I'm not a native english speaker either. But not understandind "CC" only means that you're not a "native gamer forum" speaker ^^

Edited by Elric Galad

Immunity to one or two Afflictions isn't that a big deal. 

I wonder if in PoE2 they'd add some form of immunity to anything that attacks an entire Defense. That is, complete immunity to anything that attacks Reflex or Fortitude, etc.

Edited by Infinitron

Not keen on CC-immunities.  I always took things like Knockdown on a Dragon to be representative of like the character climbing the dragon and smacking him on the head or something.  Not sure I like this...

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I wonder if in PoE2 they'd add some form of immunity to anything that attacks an entire Defense. That is, complete immunity to anything that attacks Reflex or Fortitude, etc.

Even damage? I would be more in favor of something more granular, like the Reflex save of Rogues in D&D 3.5 : all crits turn to hit, hits to graze, etc.

The thing about CC is not only about applying the effects, but it is also about lowering the saves of the targets. Some bosses already have high saves and deflection so CC is one way to lower their defence so that regular attacks can at least hit them. Seems to me CC immunities will lead to a situation that is more luck-dependent on attack rolls...

Combat is getting gradually more asymmetrical now. I would rather see encounters being more interesting (eg something how the final boss battle is done with different phases) than just simply taking options away. There is nothing innovative about it...

Edited by mosspit

Even damage? I would be more in favor of something more granular, like the Reflex save of Rogues in D&D 3.5 : all crits turn to hit, hits to graze, etc.

There's something like that already in the game: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Adept_Evasion

Edited by Infinitron

Wish they'd swap the CC immunity for upgrading Wary Defender to +20% damage to disengagement attacks. Heck, they can scrap the +5 to fighter deflation, too.

Just grab hold the line and savage attack. It's only -1 engagement limit and you get +20% damage to all of your attacks rather than once in a blue moon.

Also, the CC immunity has nothing to do with fighters... it's some monsters that are getting the immunities come the patch.

Edited by Njall
  • Like 1

Wish they'd swap the CC immunity for upgrading Wary Defender to +20% damage to disengagement attacks. Heck, they can scrap the +5 to fighter deflation, too.

Just grab hold the line and savage attack. It's only -1 engagement limit and you get +20% damage to all of your attacks rather than once in a blue moon.

Its the fact that you have to use one talent and another ability to in get what should be the logical upgrade to begin with.

And I still think CC immunity is silly.

While we're at it, and because I do not know where else to post news:

urGTJnP.png

And from Something Awful:

Yeah. Most of the critter immunities are grouped by type (e.g. spirits, vessels), but some specific creatures also get their own immunities (e.g. dragons).

If you hit something with an affliction they're immune to, they'll float an *Immune!* message and it will list it in the log. The immunities are also set up as abilities, so they get added to the corresponding bestiary entry.

The text for Novice's Suffering now states that it doesn't stack with spiritshift weapons. Spiritshift weapons are already burly as hell.

In either this patch or the last, the duration on Scroll of Paralysis went down. Dragons aren't all immune to Paralyzed, but one of them is.

[in answer to, "Huh, I thought the lack of hard immunities was a purposeful thing in PoE, but I guess I hadn't really considered the damage type immunities that were already in. Plus the high-level spells are probably just too powerful across the board without it."]

It was, but the reasons for it have mostly disappeared over time. We don't have classes that are so inherently CC-focused that they can't work around immunities (cipher and wizard are closest, but they have a lot of options). We have better feedback for when you hit immunities. Bestiary entries now display abilities, which means you can look at the entry and go "oh hey". Finally, there's actually support for affliction immunities. In the base game, the code didn't support it at all.

What we were trying to avoid was the 3.X situation where your rogues and beguilers throw their hands up because they're fighting swarms of undead/constructs/elementals for hours straight and the majority of your abilities can't affect them.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2