Can non-priests have patron dieties?

Guest Ontarah

Guest Ontarah

I don't remember seeing this anywhere during character generation.  I am on my first playthrough as a druid.   I also created a ranger I intend to use later.  Is there not even an option to type one in like in NWN?  Do non priests ever get dialog options to say we support deity XYZ?  That's extremely limiting if it is the case. 

Edited by Ontarah

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be very many deities within their belief set at all, much less ones that a druid or ranger could choose to follow.  I suppose Galawain, Hylea and perhaps Ondra (though that's a bit of a stretch IMO) could fit as potential nature-ish gods, but then limiting the selection to only these two or three would perhaps limit potential roleplaying mechanics throughout the game, for those that are interested in such.

Guest Ontarah

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be very many deities within their belief set at all, much less ones that a druid or ranger could choose to follow.  I suppose Galawain, Hylea and perhaps Ondra (though that's a bit of a stretch IMO) could fit as potential nature-ish gods, but then limiting the selection to only these two or three would perhaps limit potential roleplaying mechanics throughout the game, for those that are interested in such.

I think it's entirely possible to take any deity that's in charge of natural cycles and it would work fine for a ranger/druid.  Berath would totally work.   I don't see any particular reason Eothas or Magran wouldn't work either, seeing that druids have no alignment restrictions here.  Fire and light (renewal) are natural processes packed with symbolism.  Heck, even Rymgand could be justified  - plagues and famines and so on usually come about due to population imbalances with nature and are natural evolutionary culling agents. Also, in this game rangers aren't really even druids lite like in D&D.  They are more forest rogue Robin Hood types or else just hunters.  They could worship practically anyone and it would work fine.  

This isn't just about rangers and druids though.  I would like even a vanilla fighter character to be able to have a patron God - like Eder. 

Edited by Ontarah

It's a lack that I've bemoaned myself - though I never posted about it.  Since I RP a story in my mind the entire time I play, I do RP my girls' deity choices as well.  But of course having it in game would be so much better!

Yes, story tied around dieties pretty hard, it's strange that we can't choose those those for our character. When I was RP my atheist Wizard it was fine, but my Barbarin was hardcore Galawain follower, so my enjoyment of this came only in the last chapter sadly...