Age of Decadence Launched.

Rosbjerg

Old Thread here.

and WoD breaking the news:

As mentioned in another thread, after 11 long years, after many have lost hope, Age of Decadence is finally out! Available on Steam and GoG, where it's featured prominently. If you're not sure, at least try the demo, it's on Steam but I don't see it on GoG, although there's 30 day money back guaranty. Edit: Here's some info for the uninitiated : http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6890.0.html

I'll be picking it up at the end of the month, it looks like they really pulled it off.  Huzzah!

Well ****, I bet $20 that this wouldn't be released until 2020.

Do you still have to hoard skill points and metagame with saves in order to be able to complete the game? Do you still have to heavily min-max for combat otherwise?

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

One of the 2 games that launched this year that gives me legit Windows envy (MGSV is the other).  I hope some day this gets ported so that I get to play it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hopefully it is good, imagine waiting that long for something crap.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looks like it was made 10 years ago in Russia.

fixed.

*shrug*

is a ridiculous vanity product that attempts to sell crpg anachronisms as innovations.  tactical sophistication takes a back seat to lucking or metagaming your way into a viable build?

*snort*

played the demo a while back and have little interest in slogging through full release.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

fixed.

*shrug*

is a ridiculous vanity product that attempts to sell crpg anachronisms as innovations.  tactical sophistication takes a back seat to lucking or metagaming your way into a viable build?

*snort*

played the demo a while back and have little interest in slogging through full release.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know, they never claimed the game to be innovative with its combat mechanics. They just said they want to stay off the beaten path and accepted status quo in roleplaying games, and that they did. With a vengeance. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Uggghh. Rotatable camera control. Feels like a game out if the NWN era. And the font choice seems out of place.

That said, it seems promising. Mind blowing that ever since Vault Dweller announced the game, three Dragon Age games have been released.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

fixed.

*shrug*

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know, they never claimed the game to be innovative with its combat mechanics. They just said they want to stay off the beaten path and accepted status quo in roleplaying games, and that they did. With a vengeance. :)

they claimed to be different than every other crpg.  am recalling a claim by its that we had never played a game such as aod.  *chuckle* is not different so much as anachronistic.

there is a tendency for hardcore fans o' __________ to see comical reactionary as inherently praiseworthy.  old movies. old music. old comics. old fashion.  whatever. old is not intrinsic good or bad.   aod look and plays... old... but worse.  is old as imagined by a small group o' hardcore fans. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

fixed.

*shrug*

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

they claimed to be different than every other crpg.  am recalling a claim by its that we had never played a game such as aod.  *chuckle* is not different so much as anachronistic.

there is a tendency for hardcore fans o' __________ to see comical reactionary as inherently praiseworthy.  old movies. old music. old comics. old fashion.  whatever. old is not intrinsic good or bad.   aod look and plays... old... but worse.  is old as imagined by a small group o' hardcore fans. 

HA! Good Fun!

now... that sounds a lot like hipsters.... or Codex... hmmm perhaps Codex people are hipsters? ;P

I definitely would not want to see every game be like Age of Decadence but after playing through it now, I'm pretty confident in saying that no... there actually is no game quite like it and they're fully within their right to make claims that they've made a pretty unique game. I certainly would not know what game to compare it with, old or new. You can tell the Fallout influence but it's still very different from that.

I just finished my playthrough as a Merchant and it was pretty damn good (went non-combat all the way). Did not end up quite as prestigiously for my character as I had planned from the start though I managed to screw over the guild at least. :p

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Now this is what one has been waiting for, methinks i'll be living decadently for awhile.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd say that if there is one thing kickstarter has shown it's that there is room for a lot of small scale RPGs, it's not like the funding for DivOS(s)/ InXileRPG(s)/ POE or smaller scale stuff like SitS/ LoX means that there's no money to buy AoD, quite the opposite. They aren't really in competition when there's still one release every two months on average, indeed that may well encourage more buyers by getting more traction for the genre overall than the times when you might be lucky to get one RPG release every six months. And of those RPGs listed probably only SitS is in genuine competition with AoD which no one expects to sell even on the WL2/ PoE scale let alone the DivOS one.

now... that sounds a lot like hipsters.... or Codex... hmmm perhaps Codex people are hipsters? ;P

When it comes to RPGs the Codex is pretty hipsterish, big scandal when they voted DAO as RPG of the year and much navel gazing reflection. They all play Skyrim seven times while feeling dirty about it and claiming to do so only so that they know the enemy and most own consoles too. They're basically a boycott CoD steam group, though entertaining enough.

Oh, and Gromnir hates them and has Pavlovian response to anything associated with them. Given Vault Dweller's long time association there it's no surprise he's in here saying how much he hated AoD, it would be a surprise if he weren't.

• Like 1

Do you still have to hoard skill points and metagame with saves in order to be able to complete the game? Do you still have to heavily min-max for combat otherwise?

They tried to address those concerns, for example you now get more skill points. How well they've succeeded you'd have to judge for yourself, it's not an easy balance.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

*chuckle*

we would observe that zor's comments is a pavlovian reaction to Gromnir.  guess he doesn't like getting his silliness called-out.  sadly, is gonna happen again.

gotta venn diagram o' games Gromnir likes and those approved by codex groupthink would have near complete overlap... with the exception o' bizarre codexian fascination with arcanum and their knee-jerk hate o' bioware.  nevertheless, while we like games such as fallout, we also has noted, for +15 years (before codex in fact), that as much as we liked fallout, it were horribly unbalanced with utter useless skills and its "freedom" in character generation were a misleading as even the developers noted that there were only a handful o' builds that a majority o' folks actual played.  etc.  our public rejection o' the things vd seems to think are essential to crpgs goes back before codex existed.  

we do dislike misogyny, anti-semitism and racism that is common at codex, but am not certain what that has to do with Gromnir disliking aod.

if zor can find inconsistency 'tween comments we made between games such as poe (easiest option as is accessible on this board) or recent criticisms o' wasteland 2 and our observations o' aod, we will concede hypocrisy or bias 'gainst a title.  

am waiting.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

*chuckle*

we would observe that zor's comments is a pavlovian reaction to Gromnir.  guess he doesn't like getting his silliness called-out.  sadly, is gonna happen again.

gotta venn diagram o' games Gromnir likes and those approved by codex groupthink would have near complete overlap... with the exception o' bizarre codexian fascination with arcanum and their knee-jerk hate o' bioware.  nevertheless, while we like games such as fallout, we also has noted, for +15 years (before codex in fact), that as much as we liked fallout, it were horribly unbalanced with utter useless skills and its "freedom" in character generation were a misleading as even the developers noted that there were only a handful o' builds that a majority o' folks actual played.  etc.  our public rejection o' the things vd seems to think are essential to crpgs goes back before codex existed.  

we do dislike misogyny, anti-semitism and racism that is common at codex, but am not certain what that has to do with Gromnir disliking aod.

if zor can find inconsistency 'tween comments we made between games such as poe (easiest option as is accessible on this board) or recent criticisms o' wasteland 2 and our observations o' aod, we will concede hypocrisy or bias 'gainst a title.  

am waiting.  

HA! Good Fun!

Probably one of the biggest problems with WRPGs is that they incorporate the systems of tabletop into a campaing that will not use them fully, so you're left with useless builds that would be feasible in a different campaign. Not such excuse here since they just arbitrarily decided what the system would be and that they were going to penalize you for fighting.

I really wish that RPGs would let you know how many points are you going to get on level up, how many levels you can expect to gain and what skills you should invest in. I'm getting tired of restarting a game just because I realize that shotguns are useless, charisma and intelligence are dump stats, pistols are not worth it and assault rifles are the best. (I'm talking about you Wasteland) Anything that would let me know what to expect and in what to invest.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

They tried to address those concerns, for example you now get more skill points. How well they've succeeded you'd have to judge for yourself, it's not an easy balance.

If only they had more time to balance!

I keed I keed.  I have been enjoying Dead State, so I'm hoping this is as enjoyable.

*chuckle*

we would observe that zor's comments is a pavlovian reaction to Gromnir.

Nah, 99% of the time I just ignore you, so the last thing I'm going to do is trawl through pages of you following Sensuki around from thread to thread or whatever. Much as 99% of the time if there's a game I don't like I ignore it rather than wandering in to (not so) randomly diss it.

Just thought people who weren't aware of your background and chip on shoulder with respect to the Codex/ VD etc needed to know where you were coming from.

• Like 1

*chuckle*

we would observe that zor's comments is a pavlovian reaction to Gromnir.

Nah, 99% of the time I just ignore you, so the last thing I'm going to do is trawl through pages of you following Sensuki around from thread to thread or whatever. Much as 99% of the time if there's a game I don't like I ignore it rather than wandering in to (not so) randomly diss it.

Just thought people who weren't aware of your background and chip on shoulder with respect to the Codex/ VD etc needed to know where you were coming from.

so this were a complete random zorish PSA? 

*snort* 

oh, and we only responded 'cause we Just thought people who weren't aware of your background and chip on shoulder with respect to Gromnir needed to know where you were coming from.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1