Where to buy a laptop online cheap

sorophx

So, I am in need of an advice. My friend wants to buy a Dell XPS 13. And no matter how much I try to talk her out of it, she won't budge. I am wondering if there's a good place that sells laptops and ships them to Canada cheaply? Can one even save a decent amount of money by buying a high-end laptop online?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So, I am in need of an advice. My friend wants to buy a Dell XPS 13. And no matter how much I try to talk her out of it, she won't budge. I am wondering if there's a good place that sells laptops and ships them to Canada cheaply? Can one even save a decent amount of money by buying a high-end laptop online?

It's 800$, that's somewhere in the middle for a laptop. As for your question, I can't really help you there, although I doubt that she will save much/any money by buying online.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

800$ is a really good price, I haven't seen it go for so little, most sites list it at 1100-1200$

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, it only needs to run Photoshop well, that's the main requirement. so if the 4GB version can do that, it will do fine. not sure what Photoshop needs in terms of hardware

Walsingham said:

Then again it depends for what you are going to use PS for. Some tasks are RAM intensive, some are CPU intensive and some are even GPU intensive. For simple photo editing pretty much anything can run it.

For Dell specifically, they run an outlet website in quite a few countries. These outlets sell pre-configured machines, which may be refurbs or new, in the latter case mainly being cancelled orders (and frequently cancelled bulk corporate orders, so they can have dozens of identically specced machines listed in some cases). The majority of machines listed are usually corporate Latitude/Vostro ones, but occasionally you get some consumer level Inspiron/XPS models up. This'd be the first place I'd look for a Dell - haven't done so personally but a relative has and they've had no complaints. Note that they come with an shorter warranty period however.

Dell Outlet Canada

Dell Outlet US (dunno if they'd be willing to ship to Canada)

EDIT: Looks like no XPS13s currently listed unfortunately. A shame because several are listed on the Australian outlet, but you can get an idea of relative pricing of outlet vs their main website by looking at the prices here as compared to here.

Example refurb: $1200AUD. Normal price $2000AUD, sale price $1600.

Example as new: $1780AUD. Normal price $2300AUD, sale price $1900.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

ooooh, that's interesting, thanks!

Walsingham said:

ok, false alarm. my friend has no patience and no common sense, apparently, she just went and bought an Inspiron 7000 or something on an impulse. 

Walsingham said:

ok, false alarm. my friend has no patience and no common sense, apparently, she just went and bought an Inspiron 7000 or something on an impulse. 

Well at least you tried. Now you have ammunition for an "I told you so". :D

• Like 1