Democrat Presidential Debate

BruceVC

I think it's inaccurate to try and portray Sanders as some kind of meme candidate. He does legitimately have a grassroots base.

That said I have noticed a lot of Clinton supporters trying to play up the "silly young internet fanbase" angle.

I'm not trying to say he's some buzzword memer, but he's managed to activate that part of the party in a way others haven't because he doesn't have the same airs that most of the establishment have. Basically, by the fact he's got that grassroots background (like Paul did before him) he gets a whole group of votes who say "Well, he's not from the same group of party partisans we're used to... TAKE MY MONEY AND VOTES!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Call me when Sanders produces something as good as It's happening. Then I will consider his meme force on par with Paul.

Until then he's just a social democrat who has a better record opposing infringements on privacy than the other mainstream candidates. He is also endorsed by Lil'B.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

With Hillary I cannot shake the feeling that if someone were to write a politician AI it would look a lot like her. Everything seems to be politically calculated, tailored and vetted. It was probably the same with Bill too in practice, but Hillary lacks the charm and skill in delivery that he had. That was evident last time she ran as well, Obama isn't actually the best speech writer nor maker nor is he a particularly good off the cuff orator but he had the big advantage of not sounding as if some PR agent was using him as a ventriloquist's dummy most of the time.

Not really, to be honest.

Love or hate Bill Clinton, records show that this is a guy that knows his ****. I would argue this is a guy that regardless of what you think of him, you gotta respect him. I've never seen him approached with a question for example and not have and answer or become noticeably flustered. He can go toe-to-toe with anyone in a debate and ALWAYS seems to just know his **** and have it on hand if he's approached about any number of topics. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I've personally NEVER seen someone approach Bill Clinton with a confrontational-toned question before he proceeds to back out, say he doesn't have the exact numbers in front of him and can't answer, etc etc. Nah, he's always quick to respond. Like I said, love or hate the guy (I have both great praise and harsh criticism of different aspects of his presidency) you gotta respect him.

In that sense I do find Hillary a bit odd. I mean you think her husband would at least rub off on her to some degree, but she just seems so staged all the time.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I can't imagine the Ron Paul crowd will find a lot to like in Bernie Sanders. There are some similarities on a few things, like trade protectionism for example. But libertarians are opposed to government expansion and Sanders is about TOTAL government takeover.  

But I guess they would both appeal to knee-jerk contrarians who are just looking for someone outside the "establishment".  But they are just asholes looking to muck things up.

I don't think that the Ron Paul crowd were all libertarians, at the time the term was pretty unknown and has only come to the light due to Paul politics.

That's giving Paul unfair credit. The only reason the general public knows what a Libertarian even is is this guy:

s07-ep02-condolences2-1000x500.jpg

Did they just plant seeds and all of the sudden we have three new candidates?

Of course you support Clinton, she has that great qualification that all SJW look for in a president: a vagina.

Jesus, dude. Put a lid on it.

I don't think she'll let me.

Seriously though, at this point the media doesn't even care about her qualifications they just want it because it would mean the first female president. So Hillary gets to hog all the limelight, her mistakes forgotten and hidden while nobody even knows who the other candidates are.

Orog you can't seriously think that all support for Clinton is just because she is a women ?

Please give her supporters more credit than that  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I finally got around to reading CNN's gushing reviews of Hillary's performance. They don't call that the Clinton News Network for nothing,

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They'll get that when they show they deserve it.

Okay, and why would you say that Clinton supporters are undeserving of any credit  :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I finally got around to reading CNN's gushing reviews of Hillary's performance. They don't call that the Clinton News Network for nothing,

Well CNN International is very objective, they feature the Republicans and Trump quite regularly 

John Milton 

Well CNN International is very objective, they feature the Republicans and Trump quite regularly 

CNN is objective? I laughed so hard I spit up my coffee! They are not as bad as MSNBC (they make no pretense of objectivity) but I'd hardly call them objective. You know what news source it completely politically neutral in the US? None of them. That's correct. Not a f-----g one of them. All of them tilt to one political philosophy or another either subtly of overtly.

But I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. That isn't new. It's been that way since before the last civil war.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

CNN is objective? I laughed so hard I spit up my coffee! They are not as bad as MSNBC (they make no pretense of objectivity) but I'd hardly call them objective. You know what news source it completely politically neutral in the US? None of them. That's correct. Not a f-----g one of them. All of them tilt to one political philosophy or another either subtly of overtly.

But I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. That isn't new. It's been that way since before the last civil war.

You sure you weren't watching the local USA CNN....thats very different to CNN International ?

John Milton 

Okay, and why would you say that Clinton supporters are undeserving of any credit  ermm.gif

you can't seriously think that all support for Clinton is just because she is a women ?

Please give her supporters more credit than that  cool.png

It's not hard to understand. You want me/us to give Clinton supporters more credit than saying all her support is just because she is a woman. They'll get that when they deserve it, because all the Clinton support is because she is a woman. She herself cannot stop bringing it up because it is the basis of her running.

There's also the fact that Clinton is barely progressive. She's a centrist capitalist who used to be on the board of directors of Walmart. I have a very hard time believing she's going to work hard for the working class. Progressives will vote for her because they will feel great about voting for a woman, look how progressive I am. Historically, the only left-wing ideals she consistenly votes are anti-military and gay rights. Economically, she is a conservative. There is no reason to vote for her as a liberal over, say, Sanders, if you discount her gender. As a European, by our standards Hillary would be on the right.

• Like 1

I find it quite funny how a guy like Anderson Cooper, who comes from one the "big" aristocrat families in the US (Vanderbilt), who has worked and has connections to the CIA, who is also known as a Clinton-supporter, just so happens to be a moderator for the democratic debate, where the Clintons are so strangely attending.

In all this world of objectivity, isn't it funny how these coincidences just seem to pop out? Hey, i am not saying that it clouds is judgement for investigating or asking the right questions, i just find it funny....and objective.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I find it quite funny how a guy like Anderson Cooper, who comes from one the "big" aristocrat families in the US (Vanderbilt), who has worked and has connections to the CIA, who is also known as a Clinton-supporter, just so happens to be a moderator for the democratic debate, where the Clintons are so strangely attending.

In all this world of objectivity, isn't it funny how these coincidences just seem to pop out? Hey, i am not saying that it clouds is judgement for investigating or asking the right questions, i just find it funny....and objective.

Nah, there is nothing weird about that. He is one of the most respected Political commentators in mainstream US media 

John Milton 

She's a centrist corporatist

Fixed it for you. 

Historically, the only left-wing ideals she consistenly votes are anti-military

Like when she voted for the Iraq war? Nah, she's very pro-war. Also there's nothing "left-wing" about an anti-war position. Unless you consider the libertarian party "left-wing" now, and consider FDR, LBJ, and Obama right-wing.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Nah, there is nothing weird about that. He is one of the most respected Political commentators in mainstream US media 

The way I would phrase it, is he's one of the less terrible ones.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

What's even more funny is that i never said that it was weird, rather that it was funny. Kinda weird that you read my post wrongly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The way I would phrase it, is he's one of the less terrible ones.

:biggrin:  You guys and your cynicism...who do you like as a political commentator? 

John Milton 

What's even more funny is that i never said that it was weird, rather that it was funny. Kinda weird that you read my post wrongly.

Oh okay.....well next time don't be so confusing  ;)

John Milton 

Fixed it for you. 

If we're defining capitalism as "an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth." how is Hillary not a Capitalist?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Fixed it for you. 

If we're defining capitalism as "an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth." how is Hillary not a Capitalist?

They are all Capitalists, they just have different views on the type of Capitalism 

Sanders is probably the furthest? 

• Like 1

John Milton 

How is any sane person not a Capitalist under that broad definition?

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

How is any sane person not a Capitalist under that broad definition?

Yeah why not embrace an economic system that despite its flaws does work

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton