Too much restocking?

Does it bother you that most vendors constantly restock everything?

It cheapens alot of the items since you can buy unlimited copies of them and also makes the game too easy even on the hardest setting.

I believe even the gem merchant in the docks restocks all of his diamonds and stuff and they are cheap to boot. I dont think it should be like that.

In games where you can't pick up everything, people complain rightly that it's unrealistic you kill a guy wearing armour wielding a sword and all you get is one zirconite. It's tricky. I'd say there should be a filter for the Pick Up All button, like in Dungeons of Dredmore: e.g. you can set it so 'Pick Up All' button ignores all non-magical weapons and armour, or all robes, etc. 

Drops Loot and Merchants could really do well with a alteration.

Merchants should not hold onto everything I sell them.  I mean it would be interesting if say you sold all your stuff to Gilded Vale and you got rep and then they smelted the stuff and became really powerful or had extra special magick gear because they had more money.  It would also be interesting and possibly a difficulty setting to have merchants have a set amount of coin per reset or something of this nature and to tinker with the reset variable to make it more in line with what that merchant would have.

For example early on Gilded Vale is not going to have a merchant with infinite amount of coin to trade.

Drops I think trivialize a lot of items in game and it can be cumbersome finding them when they come too often and too many.  I find a new weapon and I start getting into it and bammo a new weapon drops.  Then I stop and think if it is a good weapon to trade into.  When this happens so often I end up getting agitated when a new item drops.

The RNG loot spots are another cool design in theory but they grab from a very large table which leaves anyone who wants to specialize and is unlucky missing a lot of stuff.  It does add replayability in a sense but in a game like this replaying it a lot of times is not likely to occur.  Each RNG loot spot should only draw for a specific slot and they shoul dbe geared for certain types.  So potentially a secret stash could only have belts and only have belts that would suit a melee play style.  There are enough of these secret caches that even if they refined the drop tables for them we would end up with more unique drops to choose from.

Factor in crafting we end up with trivial special drops in some cases.  I would much rather see a fully robust crafting/enchanting system but with a lot a lot a lot less material drops and availability.  I mean on PoTD its absurd the amount of materials I end up with.  200+ or many items.  It makes crafting feel blah and with the amount of scrolls and potions and with all the money you get from the armor drops all over the place it feels like cheating to even craft that stuff.

It would appear they tried to please everyone and implement every angle to do so.  And they ended up with too much of too much.

In a game like this very specifically placed items works better with no RNG at all.

A limited well designed enchanting system.

Limited loot drops and limited money.

All of this gives the player a feeling of true reward and accomplishment.

Right now there is too much a feeling of give away in many aspects of the game.

there's just too many opponents in PoE. After clearing the second level of endless paths i had two pages of stash being filled up with items from the xaurips. Then on the next level i fought ogre druids who were actually the best enemies in the entire game so far simply because they were a challenge for my rested party of four. But if i'm facing them on hard (as supposed to just facing normal ogres on easy) why would anyone want to place something like 8 of them on one single level? I have like 15000 credits already and did just the raedric hold and the few areas around gilded vale as well as the first levels of od nua. And i bought akready items like the magical horn of summonig as well as some improvements to the stronghold. The many enemies make exploring the otherwise beautiful areas a pain, like someone thought 'wait our areas are nice and all but we have to place several enemies in each of the rooms so that they're even better'. A lot decisions in PoE are just a double whammy, e.g. if i'm surrounded by 10 xaurips why would i need to have to deal with a sticky melee system on top of that? Where am i supposed to escape?

there's just too many opponents in PoE. After clearing the second level of endless paths i had two pages of stash being filled up with items from the xaurips. Then on the next level i fought ogre druids who were actually the best enemies in the entire game so far simply because they were a challenge for my rested party of four. But if i'm facing them on hard (as supposed to just facing normal ogres on easy) why would anyone want to place something like 8 of them on one single level? I have like 15000 credits already and did just the raedric hold and the few areas around gilded vale as well as the first levels of od nua. And i bought akready items like the magical horn of summonig as well as some improvements to the stronghold. The many enemies make exploring the otherwise beautiful areas a pain, like someone thought 'wait our areas are nice and all but we have to place several enemies in each of the rooms so that they're even better'. A lot decisions in PoE are just a double whammy, e.g. if i'm surrounded by 10 xaurips why would i need to have to deal with a sticky melee system on top of that? Where am i supposed to escape?

It is interesting that PoTD is actually easier because the amount of enemies and loot drops equal cash you can buy some significant early stage gear that lasts for a good amount of time.  It would have been better to have the same amount or potentially a few more but they actually hit harder and have better stats.

I have not noticed much difference on PoTD than the original difficulty setting as far as heavier hitting enemies.  Its likely my logs would show a difference but PoTD and Normal have me doing the same strategies as I did before.  I am not using potions or eating food.  I do use my buffs often from my Priest.

As far as loot goes, I wish like items would group even for armor/weapons not just potions, plants, gems, etc. Particularly helpful w/ xaurip loot. Overall I think there's way to much loot, too many battles & too much exp given out especially if you're one of those that likes to do every side story/mission/task. In the original release version I maxed my characters out before I had gotten to going down in the graveyard for the final steps & not even fully finished Endless Paths.

There is heaps of loot. So much that I have so much gold that I have actually started buying the expensive magical items from merchants and I never did that in any other games I played. Money is not an issue at all and it removes a layer of complexity as I can operate with no fear of going broke. Would be nice to see it toned down a bit...

• Like 1

There is heaps of loot. So much that I have so much gold that I have actually started buying the expensive magical items from merchants and I never did that in any other games I played. Money is not an issue at all and it removes a layer of complexity as I can operate with no fear of going broke. Would be nice to see it toned down a bit...

Absolutely agree.  I am unsure why they chose this direction and I do not know how they can reverse it at this point without a lot of general flack from players.

However if they made modding more accessible or if the iemod folk come through with something miraculous we can go in and gut the overall drop rates.

I hope so...

Because it is very demotivating for me when I get so much stuff I actually start getting annoyed when I see yellow objects.

They shouldn't have this much stuff in the game until at least the second expansion when you can get to a incredibly powerful state as a character.

I honestly feel like I am playing in cheat mode.

Less loot could be an option in the game difficulty settings.

Personally ... I like looting and filling several pages in the stash before visiting a merchant. Gives me access to lots of money ... and still not enough to buy all highly enchanted items. :ermm:

And ... about the many encounters ... worst of all is Pearlwood Bluff. The map is so small and crowded with enemies, you can run into one encounter, and the odds have it that movement of your heroes during battle causes a second group of enemies to join. Not that it's not doable ... it's too much. Whose idea was it?

• 1 month later...

Absolutely agree.  I am unsure why they chose this direction and I do not know how they can reverse it at this point without a lot of general flack from players.

However if they made modding more accessible or if the iemod folk come through with something miraculous we can go in and gut the overall drop rates.

I hope so...

Because it is very demotivating for me when I get so much stuff I actually start getting annoyed when I see yellow objects.

They shouldn't have this much stuff in the game until at least the second expansion when you can get to a incredibly powerful state as a character.

I honestly feel like I am playing in cheat mode.

This is how I feel about it too.

But back to the topic of merchant restocking.. Shouldnt you have to work for your high level gems? Loot it from a dead dragon's treasure horde for example. 

Not buy them from some guy in the docks district that apparently has a never ending supply.

I also bought my whole party suits of exceptional leather armour because the guy in dyrford restocks it. It felt like armour of that quality should be a one of.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. I made it then forgot to check back.

Edited by Kilburn

Not really. The mess that piles up when you sell items to them, however…

Yeah. In my second playthrough I ended up selling everything to the inn keeper at the Black Hound in Gilden Vale as she seemed a good choice for a vendor I wouldn't want to use. I'm not sure where she found the approximately 150,000cp to pay me for the hundreds of weapons and suits of armour I sold her, but I like to think that when I her voice welcome was the slightly worried sounding one it was because she was panicking that she didn't have enough money to buy my newest pile of trash items.

• Like 1