FPS massive drop in Defiance Bay

Hijin25

Question

As the post title says, I am suffering a sharp drop in Defiance FPS Bay, mainly in Copperlane. Step 60 fps to 25 fps or less in this area.

From what I've read in the forum it is not a new problem, there are plans to fix it or any current solution?

Thanks in advance.

My PC specs are.

I7 4770
8 GB ram
GTX 760
Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

21 answers to this question

Same here, I play in 3840x2160 and get steady 60fps for the most part but Copperlane usually drops to 35-40 and even changing the graphics to lowest only increases the fps by a minuscule amount. Pehaps it's just a limitation of the size of that map combined with Unity.

i5 6600K

16GB

GTX970

Win 10

Edited by Kuripakk

Many blame the graphics engine, but I've tried other titles that use the same engine and do not exhibit this fall in fps.

In addition, because only in that specific area has lost frames per second?

If the amount of detail or characters on screen, could well reduce it to improve performance.

For some inexplicable reason, the game renders every character on the map at all times (even if they're shrouded by fog of war). Temple of Skaen is another example. The first time you enter it, the performance is horrible. Once you get rid of the NPCs on the map, the performance jumps back to smooth 60 FPS.

Unity + incompetence = disaster.

Another patch and the problem persists, I just want to know if you really are looking at this problem or wait a basket case ever be solved?

Hello again Hijin25,

Could you please upload a save file, an output log after you have ran around copperlane, and a dxdiag file via dropbox so I can write up a report. 

Thank you. 

Here goes the report and saved games, is that the drivers for the video card are not current, but that's because the most recent I have a problem of flickering textures in Dragon Age Inquisition, even so I tried the new game and continuing the problem in those specific locations.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ffwcp4vdmj5u5m/AACGpXe6B9zDOaWRAUEUO18Ea?dl=0

Here goes the report and saved games, is that the drivers for the video card are not current, but that's because the most recent I have a problem of flickering textures in Dragon Age Inquisition, even so I tried the new game and continuing the problem in those specific locations.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ffwcp4vdmj5u5m/AACGpXe6B9zDOaWRAUEUO18Ea?dl=0

Could you please upload an output log after you have experienced the fps drop in Copperlane as well? If you are having difficultly looking for that file, please click on the link in my signature. 

i'm going to record a video of te impact NPC circles have on the frame-rate so you can watch it Aarik, and for others to know.

a lot of ppl with bad performance simply aren't aware that the main cause is having circles enabled. due to (someone said this already a few posts above me) due to the game creating all or most of the npc's all at once regardless, and this includes enemies, whenever you are in a high density zone with lots of ai scripts / npcs / etc if you activate show circles and press highlight key you will watch your frame rate drop by 10-20 percent, guaranteed, every time because that is the exact moment game applies certain layers to those npcs, visible on screen or not, for things like anti-aliasing (regardless of if you have AA on or not), and the unity engine is crap at this sort of thing so the previously "ok" npc's giving you an "ok" framerate become a performance drain when their circles are enabled as they immediately double in information being processed/rendered behind the scenes. 

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH this is, i think, a directX issue at root, because when i use -force-opengl framerate stays exactly the same regardless of circles on or off. yes, the opengl performance is much worse in general, but i found it VERY interesting it didn't share the problem with the circles that d3d9 and d3d11 do.

here is the video i recorded. thanks for watching it, in advance. game is running on amd a8-3870k CPU, 3.2 GHz, quad-core, video card is amd radeon 6700 hd (i know, old), but fully capable in most games, and operating system is win 7 w/ 4 gigs of 1333mhz ram. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP9rmrFl0fc

Edited by aweigh0101
  • Like 1

Can not see the video, she said to be private.

Now, in my case dropped frames occur with or without activated circles, and only on the market and the canteen of the port, in all other scenarios, maintain a constant 60 fps, so I gather that there is some specific programming error in these areas.

• Like 1

Can not see the video, she said to be private.

Now, in my case dropped frames occur with or without activated circles, and only on the market and the canteen of the port, in all other scenarios, maintain a constant 60 fps, so I gather that there is some specific programming error in these areas.

yes, this is completely normal. this happens to EVERY poe player, the severy of the performance drop depending on their harware of course. some have their 60 fps drop to 40, for example, others like me have their locked-at-30 fps dropped to 20, etc.

the issue is the npc models are made in a such a way that their complexity doesn't play nicely with the unity engine's way of layering assets and so quantity of npc models will kill framerate. reason specific areas like copperlane and such kill framerate "for realz" is that not only are they densely populated but also issue #2 is the game/engine "creates" npcs/objects ALL THE TIME, regardless of wheter they're inside the players field-of-view.

and when you activate the feedback circles under NPCs, this further compounds the problem! seriously, pause a battle just when say 3 enemy mages cast a spell and like 5 of their enemy frontline are fighting your party, right when it's chugging the MOST, pause it and enable circles/highlight-interactables and watch the framerate plummet drastically.

the way i see it the best possible remedy would be to re-enable the SelCircWidth console command that was in the beta and in earlier versions of IE Mod that lets you increase or decrease the SIZE OF THE CIRCLES. i can't test this theory, since the command was removed by OBS, but i assume making the circles THINNER/SMALLER would greatly help in large scenes.

• Like 1

Hopefully truly are seeking a solution to this problem, in my experience ruined me think if the next scenario that enters will also have dropped frames.

The only thing that is sure is that if they choose to use Unity for the second part, I'll have to pass it.

Same here. It's the game, not your hardware.

I get a consistent 60fps without drops on Ultra settings on Witcher 3 with my rig and yet Pillars runs at 45fps in many places. It's the ONLY game on my machine that drops frames ever, and considering it's not at all demanding (the CPU and GPU are hardly being utilised), it's quite an embarrassment.

i7 6700

8GB RAM

GTX 980 Ti Strix

Windows 10