Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Old thread here:

For the uninitiated: The 'Gamergate' controversy was sparked in early 2013, as the release of Zoe Quinn's "Depression Quest" was criticized from gamers who believed that the game had received a suspicious amount of attention in relation to it's quality and scope. Eron Gjoni (Zoe's ex boyfriend) wrote a blogpost accusing Quinn of having had an affair with Kotaku journalist Grayson, prompting the critics to conclude that the attention and success of "Depression Quest" was due in part to unfair bias and nepotism in the industry.

Several articles from both sides of the issue has highlighted inconsistencies in the stories of both Grayson, Quinn and Eron as well as the many other examples that have followed.

Gamergate is wideley seen in the public, as a culture war over the diversification of gaming, artistic recognition and social criticism of video games and the gamer social identity.

For the posters in this thread:

Many bloggers and populists have tried to steer the discussion into areas they feel are the underlying issue - ranging from simple bias, to widespread misogny or misandry. I would however prefer that we keep this discussion as objective and clean as possible and so I will be keeping an a extra close eye on this thread. This certainly does not mean that you may not discuss any issue you feel, but rather that you should be thoughtful of  how  you discuss it with those you disagree with.

Especially in regards to these three guidelines:

Discrimination: Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

Harassment: We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ. Personal attacks that are intended to cause unwanted attention, embarrassment, or harm will not be tolerated. In addition, Obsidian does not tolerate disrespectful and/or slanderous posts about its competitors, developers and publishers. Such posts will be subject to editing or deleting, with its posters censured or banned.

Objectionable Content: The use of abusive, vulgar or profane language, even if hidden through the use of symbols or other characters is not tolerated. Intentionally posting workarounds to our language filters are prohibited. Posts may be edited or deleted at any time by the moderation team, and depending on the severity and frequency of said posts, the poster may be censured or banned.

Any posts in violation of the Forum Guidelines will either be removed or modified and authors of such posts will receive warnings and/or have their content placed under moderated review.

AS BEFORE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR IMAGES FOR PROFANITY. IF THE IMAGE CONTAINS UNCENSORED PROFANITY THAT THE BOARD WOULD NORMALLY CENSOR, WE WILL REMOVE YOUR ENTIRE POST.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

"Volo if you read the whole story the young women who has sex with the minor and the dad is clearly mentally unbalanced...this should help you be less critical of her behavior or at least not think she deserves the death penalty ?"

I doubt that you would use that as a defense if it was a man.

\

But, don't feel so bad, out of the judge, the father, and the rapist,  I think the woman isn't the worst of the three. That's pretty sad and scary.

"In what way does this relate to journalism and bias in the gaming industry or sjw's?"

The spin of the article is pro rapist not pro victim.  Because she is a woman hence SJWs. That's why. Look at Bruce's bending over backwards to defend her.

Hey, Bruce, did you know that many child molesters and abusers were also victims of it when they were children hence ALSO had a tough childhood? That doesn't excuse their behaviour. In fact, to me, it makes it worse because they above everyone else should know how horrible and disgusting and world breaking that can be.

The Entertainment Software Association has issued an official statement from its president criticizing the UN report as containing outdated and debunked opinions on video games.

Glad to see someone rose up to the occasion since all the major gaming news site have been quiet about this. I really didn't think it was possible, but my opinion of Polygon, Kotaku, and their ilk has gotten even lower.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

The Entertainment Software Association has issued an official statement from its president criticizing the UN report as containing outdated and debunked opinions on video games.

Glad to see someone rose up to the occasion since all the major gaming news site have been quiet about this. I really didn't think it was possible, but my opinion of Polygon, Kotaku, and their ilk has gotten even lower.

Indeed any hint of consumer advocacy has flown out of the window, their only aim is to demonise people whom play games recreationally now, the cycle repeating itself. Not one word, not one challenge and not one question, the idiots conspire against their own industry. It's quite scary to think that the popular lie is now far more fashionable than the truth, so much for society progressing.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Only somewhat related, but I thought that these two pieces were interesting due to their relation to freedom of speech and freedom of expression:

This Royal Throne of Feels, This Sheltered Isle, This England

Another article by Popehat, this gives his quick musings on Bahar Mustafa being charged with tweeting under the #killallwhitemen hashtag.
I pretty much agree with him. She shouldn't be charged, maybe disciplined or removed from her position by her superiors for her constant sneering, but definitely not charged with anything by the authorities.
I'll stand by her right to free speech, even if she wouldn't stand by mine.

Teacher Loses Job Due To Lack Of Trigger Warnings In Comics Course? Bill Sienkiewicz Raises The Alarm

So apparently a teacher was fired for not putting trigger warnings in his teaching.
Teachers fearing to offend their students' sensibilities seems to be a growing thing, and I don't think it's a healthy dynamic.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Only somewhat related, but I thought that these two pieces were interesting due to their relation to freedom of speech and freedom of expression:

This Royal Throne of Feels, This Sheltered Isle, This England

Another article by Popehat, this gives his quick musings on Bahar Mustafa being charged with tweeting under the #killallwhitemen hashtag.

I pretty much agree with him. She shouldn't be charged, maybe disciplined or removed from her position for her constant sneering, but definitely not charged with anything.

I'll stand by her right to free speech, even if she wouldn't stand by mine.

This whole thing surprised me. This isn't something that should put you in this kind of trouble. She has a right to be a c****. And that's all she is, not a criminal.

But I can't say a part of me isn't enjoying the sjw dream of "consequences" for words biting a sjw.

Edited by Fighter

Alright, and here's something humorous (and more on topic):

This bizarrely pretentious review of Prison Architect.

A snippet:

In Foucault’s view, the prison has become the lynchpin in a “carceral system” of social control through various, normalizing institutions, especially public education (standardized testing), factories (standardized labor), hospitals (standardized treatment), and the law (standardized judgement). Above all, their purpose to generate disciplined, docile bodies appropriate for neoliberal economies. Nowhere is this conclusion more clear than in the disturbingly similar architectural conventions for these institutions: their sober, utilitarian appearance obscures their role in the maintenance of social, cultural, and political power. This type of architecture was exemplified in the unequal gaze of Jeremy Bentham’s imaginary prison, the Panopticon: a building that makes every inmate visible to a single guard, but invisible to every other inmate.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Teacher Loses Job Due To Lack Of Trigger Warnings In Comics Course? Bill Sienkiewicz Raises The Alarm

So apparently a teacher was fired for not putting trigger warnings in his teaching.

Teachers fearing to offend their students' sensibilities seems to be a growing thing, and I don't think it's a healthy dynamic.

So...that article is unreadable to the average person.  I don't even know what a trigger warning is.  I'm interested in knowing more about the case, but there is no actual information in what you posted.

You spam in a SJW ethics and journalism thread yet have the gall to claim ignorance of the  dumb phrase TRIGGER WARNING? COME ON.  If you are going to give your 2 cents on a subject you should know the basics.

I am TRIGGERED by your ignorance.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't even know what a trigger warning is.

A warning put in front of content that may "trigger" someone. An obvious example being newscasts that warn about "shocking imagery" such as dead bodies or what have you.

Naturally with the internet being the internet it has been reduced to basically "anything that may offend". E.g. content that discusses sexual dimorphism would require a trigger warning for those who don't "identify with" or "believe in" biological sexes.

Edited by Barothmuk

Alright, and here's something humorous (and more on topic):

This bizarrely pretentious review of Prison Architect.

A snippet:

In Foucault’s view, the prison has become the lynchpin in a “carceral system” of social control through various, normalizing institutions, especially public education (standardized testing), factories (standardized labor), hospitals (standardized treatment), and the law (standardized judgement). Above all, their purpose to generate disciplined, docile bodies appropriate for neoliberal economies. Nowhere is this conclusion more clear than in the disturbingly similar architectural conventions for these institutions: their sober, utilitarian appearance obscures their role in the maintenance of social, cultural, and political power. This type of architecture was exemplified in the unequal gaze of Jeremy Bentham’s imaginary prison, the Panopticon: a building that makes every inmate visible to a single guard, but invisible to every other inmate.

That review reads like an undergraduate essay. And actually not a bad one, for a 1st year paper at least. There's an obvious point of contention in the quoted section (are architectural similarities to do with 'conformity' or simply because efficient design mandates similar design for similar function) that ought to be picked up on at anything above 1st year level but he's worked Foucault and Bentham in there appropriately...

I don't even know what a trigger warning is.

A warning put in front of content that may "trigger" someone. An obvious example being newscasts that warn about "shocking imagery" such as dead bodies or what have you.

Naturally with the internet being the internet it has been reduced to basically "anything that may offend". E.g. content that discusses sexual dimorphism would require a trigger warning for those who don't "identify with" or "believe in" biological sexes.

Wouldn't your first example simply be a warning?  

I have no idea what you are saying with the rest.  :p

Look, I get it, somewhat.  There are some crazy people, I assume on twitter, using crazy terminology.  But given that I spend almost no time on twitter and zero time reading what those crazy people say, the only time I hear about 'triggering' or sexual dimorphodons is from the nice folks that hang out in here.  If you know they are talking crazy gibberish, why would you adopt their speech patterns and terminology?

dimorphodon-info-graphic.png

• Like 2

Is that a raptor terradactal?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The thing about trigger warnings is that, and I hate to say this because I am aware of how ridiculous it sounds and I wouldn't say it if I hadn't experienced it first-hand, there are literally roaming bands of SJWs on the internet scanning websites with user created content to yell at creators about how they have to add trigger warnings to material or they will be reported to whatever site it is and that they're awful people who should die in a fire because they didn't do it in the first place. DeviantArt among others is especially rampant of this, but I saw this happen to someone, then googled some user names and found the same people (possibly person with multiple accounts) do the exact same things on sites such as FanFiction.net.

I don't consider it much of a problem because it's easy to ignore them, but the call to make this an official rule on the internet instead of a courtesy extended by some is annoying and frankly concerning because it shows the current generations' lack of ability to deal with real world issues. Because that's what it is. "This piece of art contains a real world issue, be warned." Personally, I like to post counter warnings. "Trigger warning: This comment section contains toxic harrassment by evil people."

But this is a fairly pointless post, since all it really says is "gosh, those people are really, really annoying". Which is what most of the indignation in these threads has been the last couple of months. Oh look, someone posted something nasty on twitter. Man, those people are really, really annoying. Look at this dumb SJW. Their opinions are so dumb, lawl.

Also, dimorphodons. :lol: Whenever someone starts whining about dimorphism now I'm going to post pictures of dimorphodons.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 3

So...that article is unreadable to the average person.  I don't even know what a trigger warning is.  I'm interested in knowing more about the case, but there is no actual information in what you posted.

Essentially, as I understand it, Sienkiewicz had a mentor who used a graphic novel that had adult content in a class as a required reading. A student complained that the content "triggered" them and that the teacher should have not used that text because it was triggering.

Based on the complaint the teacher is suspended until the investigation complete (even though Sienkiewicz said they'd been fired he also said a suspension in a piece he quoted so its a bit unclear exactly what happened). I've seen no follow-up on this other than the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF) was looking into it.

Wouldn't your first example simply be a warning?

Trigger warnings are generally speaking specific to the idea that it will trigger and emotional/mental flashback to a traumatic event not, for example, warnings of graphic content (which would be a regular warning). The Vietnam Veteran who finds themselves back into the jungle when a firecracker goes off or the rape victim who re-experiences the rape when presented with sexual imagery or what have you is the kind of thing a Trigger Warning is designed to prevent.

Look, I get it, somewhat.  There are some crazy people, I assume on twitter, using crazy terminology. 

As far as I know - and anyone with more knowledge than me can correct me - trigger warnings started in Higher Education, specifically with Feminist groups on college campuses who in "safe space" discussions wanted to make sure that they didn't force rape victims still suffering from PTSD from reliving their rape due to the "safe space" being a place for open and frank discussions. Thus a request is made that if someone wants to discuss something that might be triggering (for example a member discussing their own abuse), then as a courtesy to other members of the group they should give warning that such triggering discussion was forthcoming so that those who weren't ready for such discussions could opt out if they wished to.

It is further my understanding that their use outside of "safe space" discussions (like on the internet or in a general classroom) is highly controversial even among those who advocate for their use in "safe space" discussion groups.

EDIT: Poor sentence structure, amid other problems.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always think of it as warning of cascading transactions. Too much time working with DBs, I guess.

But really, most of the time online it's a good marker on what to wind people up on. :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trigger warnings are generally speaking specific to the idea that it will trigger and emotional/mental flashback to a traumatic event not, for example, warnings of graphic content (which would be a regular warning).

Does it have to "trigger" a lived event to be considered triggering?

I recall watching the infamous Budd Dwyer suicide footage and then stupidly showing the person next to me without giving them sufficient context. They freaked out and broke down crying. I figured that would count as a "triggering".

Or maybe tumblr has rotted my brain. Idk.

As far as I know - and anyone with more knowledge than me can correct me - trigger warnings started in Higher Education, specifically with Feminist groups on college campuses who in "safe space" discussions wanted to make sure that they didn't force rape victims still suffering from PTSD from reliving their rape due to the "safe space" being a place for open and frank discussions. Thus a request is made that if someone wants to discuss something that might be triggering (for example a member discussing their own abuse), then as a courtesy to other members of the group they should give warning that such triggering discussion was forthcoming so that those who weren't ready for such discussions could opt out if they wished to.

So like I said, sensible understandable thing that the internet ruined.

Trigger warnings are generally speaking specific to the idea that it will trigger and emotional/mental flashback to a traumatic event not, for example, warnings of graphic content (which would be a regular warning).

Does it have to "trigger" a lived event to be considered triggering?

I recall watching the infamous Budd Dwyer suicide footage and then stupidly showing the person next to me without giving them sufficient context. They freaked out and broke down crying. I figured that would count as a "triggering".

Or maybe tumblr has rotted my brain. Idk.

I don't claim expertise; my understanding is that, yes, the trigger would be for a lived event, however the context may be vastly different than you expect which may make it difficult in broad situations (which is where I understand the concern of moving trigger warnings to general population arises) to understand what might actually trigger someone. A victim of rape by their father may be triggered by discussion of rape, sex, fathers, father-child relationships and things that remind/connect to their father or their rape.  But also by talk of siblings (if father raped them), mothers (if there's knew and did nothing), etc.

But to be triggered one must have some unwanted, unpleasant experience that one isn't ready to cope with reliving.  Often on the internet what I see are people trying to stop discussions that could trigger rather than have triggered, so my experience (limited and anecdotal as it is) is with those not triggered trying to protect those who could be (rather than are/have been) triggered.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There's actually something called "trigger shaming" already.

1. An act of deliberate humiliation or degradation inflicted on a triggered person (or non-person) after their attempt to create a safe space through positive expression.

2. A tactic of embarrassment by those who disagree with one's right to be triggered. Most often used by individuals who are themselves triggered, but hide behind bullying to belong to the heteronormo-nativty scene and submit to societal pressures.
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

When will we see shamingshaming?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands