....and that's all it is really.

On these fora I have found FAR less (actually a vanishingly small percentage) of posters who insist on using "textie speak" in their posts than I am used to on the MMO fora I frequent.

Quite refreshing.

• Like 1

I've noticed that, too. All around the Obsidian forums, actually.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of users here are adults with access to computer keyboards?

I don't know, but the geographer in me is intrigued. I want to know forum demographics now.

• Like 1

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of users here are adults with access to computer keyboards?

I don't know, but the geographer in me is intrigued. I want to know forum demographics now.

Well, yeah.... but I'm not sure how available those demographics are (as in, does it compromise anyone's privacy etc....)  What I really think is that those of us who play this sort of game are a LOT older than those who use "textie" as their communication of choice and/or least common denominator.

There was a poll way back after the kickstarter ended.  Of the near 100 or so people who took it most were over 25.  Like 80+%.  Considering the game has how been out for some time only the die hards still frequent the boards so I imagine the average age is even higher now.

Why would anyone use textie speech shortcuts when they are writing 100 words per minute on a mechanical and or physical keyboard?

*laughing*  I don't know.  Since I can type (on my physical keyboard) around 160 wpm on a BAD day.... well, you see where I'm coming from.  Seriously, I've been typing since 1963.  Believe me, getting 120 wpm (with no errors) on those kludgy antique typewriters was a FEAT.  Really.  Today's keyboards are.... um.... I'm not sure.... powder puffs? Hell, I dunno.  I giggle when I think about the thumb-talkers today trying to use a manual typewriter.....

*shrug*  It's just another instance of "I've outlived my entire relevance".  Except of course, I'm just NOT GOING THERE.

Adding my pleasure to the pile. I've always hated "textie" speech; nothing screams "I'm an illiterate nuisance" quite like it.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What is textie speak?

When people shorten words like you are to ur or use various emoticons. It gets complicated since there's different sub cultures that use their own slang.

The Japanese have some very nice looking text speech, however. There's also various symbols like orz which symbolizes a person in a full prostration. orz see how the body connects together... well this typography doesn't do it much justice.

Also various internet mmo subgroups have their own sort of symbology like Eve Online with the o/ or the o7. Some of it is shared amongst other net denizens, but some are just unique.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Why would anyone use textie speech shortcuts when they are writing 100 words per minute on a mechanical and or physical keyboard?

You're assuming everyone who uses this forum is not typing on a phone / tablet.

Aren't those people using voice to text software already? Phones seem to have that already for search engines. That'll have errors but should take less time than typing.

Edited by Ymarsakar