Star Citizen

Darkpriest

A nice looking trailer with a certain "How many recognisable names and faces can you spot now!" to it.. ;)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5194726/fullcredits

Yeah... I guess that's what happens when you have too much money to produce a game with. And there's a distinct lack of Malcolm McDowell.

Or David Warner.  Only good thing about Roberts' screw up of his own game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Total overkill and very unnecessary, imo. Do these people really add more to the game in the end? I'm in doubt.

Hollywood voice talent (including one comeback from Wing Commander) was one of the stretch goals. So, yeah, they might not make the game better but they were necessary, in a way.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My guess is Hamill was fairly affordable, given his previous relationship with Roberts. Gary Oldman is the only one that would seem to really break the bank in that cast, although the sheer amount of recognizable names is a bit surprising.

Well it looks like it will be at least as good as the Wing Commander movie.

Come on, it's not that bad. 

Always the optimist, Malc.  ;)

The controls, the movement, but especially the shooting, just looks so janky...

I don't understand why they used a controller for the stream. Are console ports even on the table?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I've learned that all we've seen in the presentation will be playable in 3.3 / 3.3.5 .. so apparently for the first time, what we've seen aren't just future dreams, it's actually very, very close. And if the new container streaming *really* works as they say and fps gets doubled... it might actually be very playable for the first time as well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't understand why they used a controller for the stream. Are console ports even on the table?

I heard this was just to make it easier to look at since mouse movements can be twitchy. I think it was quite clearly visible that the bloke doing the demo is not a gamepad player.

Edited by Aoyagi

I heard this was just to make it easier to look at since mouse movements can be twitchy. I think it was quite clearly visible that the bloke doing the demo is not a gamepad player.

Agreed. That's the problem with mouses being precise, it creates an issue, especially if you want a video to look smooth vs janky as hell.

I assume that's why most people who play a more complex space sim prefer a joystick or controller over a mouse for the driving/looking around?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The reason people use joystick or analogue sticks for sims is because it gives you resting position, dead zone, and degrees of motion from rest. You can perfectly virtually emulate this with the mouse but physically you do not get the same feed back.

For the demonstration they probably just didn't want to switch between pad and mouse, they didn't do much outside of vehicles anyway.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Yeah, thats what I mean too, mouse gets super uncomfy and even a high end wrist bar won't fix the problem. Terrible, kinda like playing 2D platformers with keyboard to that effect.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Someday, when I have a capable pc some friends, I'll give Star Citizen a go.

Wise choice, though it should be playable solo. But the game's current Alpha (3.2) has pretty horrible performance and requires the patience of a saint to deal with all its issues.

I was intrigued and got one of the basic packs last year or so, figured I'd see what's what now.

So far in the current 3.2 alpha:

• I've been ganked shortly after undocking (5min wait to get a new ship to hopefully not get ganked straight away again)
  • I managed to fly into a planet because I couldn't gauge the distance correctly (aka user error)
  • The game froze while I was making my way to the docking terminal, right after I spawned. Only way out of that one was a hard reset of my PC.
  • I couldn't get through the airlock to my ship (no ability to open it, there's supposedly a workaround for that one I found out later)
  • my ship spawned without doors and most of its interior so I could not board it (workaround is to put in an insurance claim which will give you a new ship that hopefully isn't handicapped, this takes 5 real time minutes each time)

So yeah, you'd  basically need more than one ship so you hopefully have at least one that spawns with all its parts so you can actually fly it...

I'll give it another go once 3.3 goes live but currently the "alpha" label is quite well earned ;)

• Like 1

Do you lose items and your ship when you get shot down ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At the moment, no. In the future, probably. Depending on your "insurance".

Hm, wars with other players is going to be pretty tedious then if you can't exhaust their equipment.  Jumpgate had something similar - you'd keep the ship but lose everything else and get insurance money - but wars were dull affairs (granted lack of sovereignty or some sort of tangible objective was half the problem).

Would be interesting to see what would happen with the people that paid thousands of dollars for ships only to lose them forever

Both interesting and funny.

Usually if you bought these ships, you also get LTI (Life Time Insurance), so if it blows up, you get a new one after a while.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched a few of Citizencon panels and the vibe I'm getting of the economy is: first person EVE online.

Judging by what I've heard about the crime and punishment system they want to create areas similar to EVEs high and low-sec (null-sec is player owned systems in EVE, haven't heard any real plans around that so far for Star Citizen). The vibe I'm getting is that they want to create a bounty system that heavily discourages criminality in "high sec" without having to resort to the likes of Concord (basically in EVE crimes in hi-sec have your ship blasted to bits by Concord security within 30seconds and evading Concord is a bannable offense)

As for the insurance, only the earliest of adopters have life time insurance. They did away with it by now. Not sure if it will stay around for those early adopters though, would be plenty unfair to other people if some can just go crazy with little repercussions... Insurance is tied to ships though and I don't think any of the stupid-expensive ships were available then, meaning they'd have to be insured the "regular way".

Anyway, keeping an eye on this game mostly because I find the tech really interesting. I am generally just bad at these types of space games so I'm kinda worried about how punishing the insurance thing is going to be as I expect to be flying into quite a few more things that are sturdier than my ship...

Edited by marelooke

I'm just waiting for the single player part to release in 2024

I couldn't care less about playing it with other people and doubly so if there is a chance I could lose everything I worked for in the game. I'm just not that hardcore which is probably why I never got hooked on any games where you can lose your ****.

Free games updated 3/4/21