Letting a caracter in combat.. Not possible ?

Ok can someone explain why we can t drop a character during combat ?

And if its possible how... (and thank you for the tip in advance).

An example of a situation:

You enter in combat with too strongs oponent for your party (or your party is on the verge of loosing), you start to flee but someone is downed...the rest of your party run and is away.

I can t camp cause i have no more camping material. (wood in a forest another ridiculous game decision)

You can t leave the battle status

You can t leave the map

You can t drop the one(s) downed.

You  re stuck....(and if on Iron mode its game over)

If this is a conscious game mecanics decision its really not in the smart side of stick, especially for those who are on Trial of IRON mode. this kill an entire game because of a single party member, which by the way not the protagonist (your character).

If this is an overlook please fix it on the next patch....this is really dumb.

Yup, some kind of 'run away' mechanic is what the game direly needs, especially for iron man mode. If you could just exit locations and there was a prompt saying "There are downed characters over here, if you leave, they die" in case of downed characters existing, that would be great. Sadly, there is nothing of the sort, and when a solo character encounters a certain bear at the beginning of the game, said character will think "Nah, won't leave the cave without letting the bear kill me, I mean that's just not polite!" and die.

Flix: That would be an issue when an opponent you know for a fact you can't defeat is hovering over a downed companion. Besides, I'm pretty sure those can't be damaged, and they only get up and become playable again once combat ends.

That is why winning on Iron Man is a big accomplishment. If you could do what you are suggesting then Iron Man would not be very difficult.

Plus if you can get the enemies to chase you away from the KO'd team mates, and can run far enough that the enemies give up and combat stops, then your fallen team mates will get back up and heal like normal.

• Like 2

@Fenix XP.. No they don t.

Look at what Prestidigitator said.

@KDubia... There are other way to challenge the player beyond inserting stupid rules... Like severely limiting the LvL of created characters for example.

Would be more realistic and make more sense.

This tule is if thought to work like that is Monthypitonesque..

A method to drop combat or a forced mechanic so enemies do not corpse camp would not be that bad of an addition.

My solution thus far has been when an enemy is corpse camping me I usually drag whatever is corpse camping me off in another direction so the downed character can get up..

Its difficult if you ended up being downed right at their return home point but it can still be done with enough staging.

Use your characters one by one but do not get them near the return home point.

If they don't lasso the whole crew from their spot try another character and have a bunch of downed characters all over the map.

Its a sloppy solution but it will eventually work if you have patience.

frakin Lageufath corpse camping is painful

Being able to leave a map while in combat leads to lots of cheese exploits like how you could take the lich in BG2 by running in and out of his tomb.

You already spot the enemy before they spot you. This lets you avoid combat whenever you want to.

Your plan of being able to leave at the cost of having any abandoned team mates permanently killed would be unduly harsh on casual players. As it is a casual player gets wiped and gets another shot from his last save. Iron Man is not for casuals and experienced players should know better.

Not letting you hire experienced mercs would be terrible. If you lost your story companions you'd be severely gimped and again casual players would suffer the most. You already are limited to hiring one level below your own.

Fortunately Iron Man is an option and not forced on everyone. Getting wiped gets you back to your last save or in Iron man gets you valuable experience as to what to not do next time. Knowing that you could run away and escape would cheapen the Iron Man experience. The risk of having it all end is why people like Iron Man.

• Like 1

KDubya: When a mechanic's completely counter-intuitive, overcoming it doesn't feel satisfying, just irritating.

Exploiting... I mean, just respawn the killed parts of enemy stack, explain it away with them also having an endurance system, and heal the damaged monsters. You don't get XP for killing them anyway. I guess it would mean removal of gibs, but eh.

And no, having team mates permanently killed would most certainly not be unduly harsh on casual players. As it stands, when you get into a situation OP is describing, said casual player will have to reload anyway. Some sort of run away mechanic would just give him another choice.

As for cheapening Iron Man - first of all, the mere fact that you can't flee feels like an extremely cheap cop out from "kill a monster - flee" exploits (not that you can't do them anyway in big enough areas, it makes even less sense). Second, such a mechanic would add more options to all difficulties, I've already seen a few people complaining about not being able to run away from the bear.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

You don't need to fight the bear, in fact Noonan explicitly tells you "Stay away from the bear in that there cave. He's a monster who killed my friend." If you ignore the warning you probably get killed and have to reload the autosave. If you do that on Iron Man you deserve to have to re-start.

Not being able to leave an area while in combat or while part of your team is Ko'd stops lots of exploits and cheese tactics and only comes into play when you can't handle an encounter.

If you could flee while in combat why can't the enemy follow you as well? The simplest solution is the one that the game went with - you can't leave your team and you can't leave in combat.

• Like 1

well, fighting a lich in his tiny tomb isn't a good idea since he'd drop afaik time stop and then something like a flame inferno on your party. On top of that he'll go on and summon a pit fiend and with a party of six that gets real messy in a tiny tomb. I remeber though that when leaving a tomb, the lich and pit fiend would then follow me. The problem wasn't the system of transitioning areas but that the lich wasted a good majority of his spells against his pit fiend before he himself would turn on you so it was actually not a 'transitiong areas' problem. In general i'd say that people who like to criticize BG2's systems are actually either criticizing a specific encounter or their shortcomings playing the game. And then go on to ask Obsidian's designers to apply rules/systems for PoE to counter what are not systems shortcomings in the IE games.

KDubya: You usually find the cave first, the NPC second. At that point of the game, you do not know that game spawns a forcefield like an arena FPS behind you, so you naturally assume you can run away if **** hits the fan.

Anyway, the main issue here is that in some instances you can flee, in others you can not - if the area or cave is large enough all you need to do is to immobilize your enemies... Unless they're hovering above your downed companion whom they politely leave to just lie there and don't finish him off/loot him. The approach Obsidian chose is neither logical nor consistent - it is easy, you're correct about that. And, more importantly, it applies across all difficulties, not just iron man. But yes, there would potentially be exploits - then again, there already are exploits and if you don't want to use them in your single player RPG, don't.

Ok can someone explain why we can t drop a character during combat ?

And if its possible how... (and thank you for the tip in advance).

An example of a situation:

You enter in combat with too strongs oponent for your party (or your party is on the verge of loosing), you start to flee but someone is downed...the rest of your party run and is away.

I can t camp cause i have no more camping material. (wood in a forest another ridiculous game decision)

You can t leave the battle status

You can t leave the map

You can t drop the one(s) downed.

You  re stuck....(and if on Iron mode its game over)

If this is a conscious game mecanics decision its really not in the smart side of stick, especially for those who are on Trial of IRON mode. this kill an entire game because of a single party member, which by the way not the protagonist (your character).

If this is an overlook please fix it on the next patch....this is really dumb.

Dude stop crying its Trial of Iron for a reason.  Cheese exploits like running away and then coming back would make Trial of Iron really easy.  Its already too easy because they let you play on any difficulty.

Proof that I have done PoTD and Trial of Iron the achievements have the same date and time so I did it on PoTD:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Screenshots?preview=Screenshot+2015-10-05+02.15.29.png

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

i for one can't blame people if they'd like to be able to let one of their chars die, flee with the rest and the combat state end. Sure, would be easier since endurance regenerates and technically you could hire adventurers and return. But the thing is, in PoE the player is constantly outnumbered, outrun and locked down with the melee system. It's a psychological thing, i do understand people who would like to have a better solution than what's now. Compare that to the IE games, you face just one lich or one beholder, they won't lock you down, won't outrun you, there's no need to flee, you can face those enemies in a fair fight, whereas in PoE you'd always want to go with a full party. It doesn't really matter that much if it's hard or PotD, it really is about being outnumbered in most cases in PoE. I'd rather have fewer but tougher enemies without sticky melee and where we all move at the same speed. Just a thought, mind you...