Error on Start.

SeaSquall

Question

23 answers to this question

bah.  I got the same exact error after the latest patch.  worked fine before that.  now I have to uninstall.... and reinstall... AGAIN.

I've been struggling with ridiculous bugs for this game since it came out!  I can't recall ever having to deal with so many issues with a game since "Pools of Radiance" ages ago from Ubisoft.

I've never been able to finish this game... it always runs into some serious bug that I can't even figure out a workaround for.

makes me sad.

also, If the dev who had posted above had bothered to read the dxdiag posted by the OP, they would have noticed the user had recent drivers (August) installed.

FWIW, I'm using the absolute latest nvidia drivers myself, on a higher end card, and still got this error with the latest patch.

your beta testing team is perhaps the worst I have ever seen.

Edited by Ichthyic

I have the latest drivers installed and verifying the game cache is literally the very first thing I did when I got this error.  Like I said I have no problems with any other games.  This is literally the first time I have ever had a game not run properly on this PC. 

Hello SeaSquall,

Run Windows Update to see if there are any critical updates for Microsoft Visual C++. Or you can download them here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003 . You  might want to check your Direct X too. 

Do you have IE mod installed? If so then that is the problem. Just disable it and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't fix your issue, then try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. 

Thank you for your support and patience. 

Hi,

I experienced the same issue as SeaSquall. I purchased the GOG version 2.5.0.11 yesterday, and get the same error message.

Confusing to me: A family member runs exactly the same hardware configuration as I do (cpu, main memory, graphic card) and mvc++ data are at the same update stage. This applies for graphic card driver and DirectX version as well, but PoE starts and runs on his machine without any problems (?????). 

This cannot help to solve the problem, I know. I (myself) am currently looking for a solution ... without any success so far, I am afraid ....

I was having the exact same problem. I bought the GOG version today (v 2.5.0.11) and couldn't get it to run at all. It simply crashed with a runtime error before loading up. After uninstalling, reinstalling, checking drivers, etc. I simply tried to run it out of the GOG Galaxy launcher and it loaded right up. It took a while to import it into GOG Galaxy, so maybe it was applying some sort of patch, but problem solved. 

Death to Steam! Long live GOG!

I was having the exact same problem. I bought the GOG version today (v 2.5.0.11) and couldn't get it to run at all. It simply crashed with a runtime error before loading up. After uninstalling, reinstalling, checking drivers, etc. I simply tried to run it out of the GOG Galaxy launcher and it loaded right up. It took a while to import it into GOG Galaxy, so maybe it was applying some sort of patch, but problem solved. 

Death to Steam! Long live GOG!

Well, glad you got it going.... but I haven't had ONE issue with steam.... so I'll just keep on keepin' on with steam instead of gog (for this game anyway....)

Hi,

I experienced the same issue as SeaSquall. I purchased the GOG version 2.5.0.11 yesterday, and get the same error message.

Confusing to me: A family member runs exactly the same hardware configuration as I do (cpu, main memory, graphic card) and mvc++ data are at the same update stage. This applies for graphic card driver and DirectX version as well, but PoE starts and runs on his machine without any problems (?????). 

This cannot help to solve the problem, I know. I (myself) am currently looking for a solution ... without any success so far, I am afraid ....

Hi, and oohps, I started the game via GOG Galaxy, took some time for updating and after that, the game started. Unfortunately not in the language I chose, when installing it without Galaxy .... Sound is English and Text (obviously related to place of downloading machine, in my case, German). Anyway, game started and game loaded first save via GOG Galaxy .... )

Hello everyone,

I'm glad that using GOG Galaxy got the game running for you guys. There is an issue with GOG patching and unfortunately we cant do anything on our end. However, they should be fixing it by tonight or tomorrow. 

I have tried reinstalling C++ visuals and DX multiple times.  Reinstalled the game as well and still getting the same issue.  I don't have any mods installed since I haven't even got the game to work yet.

I have submitted your information to our programmers and see what they can find. 

Thank you all for your support and patience. 

I am getting this Run Time Error. I just recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I have the game through Steam. When I run the game FROM Steam, it just doesn't load, no errors or anything. Instead I go to the file location and run directly from the .exe, that's when I get the Run Time Error.

I bought the game from Steam today during the sale and the game is getting a Visual C++ Runtime error on launch.  The game never even gets a chance to start.  I have no problems with other games and everything is up to date.

I have attached the Output log, a picture of the error and my DxDiag.

Do you have any version of visual studio installed?

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Hello everyone,

Those of you who were experiencing this problem,  were you all also on Windows 10?

Thank you for your support!

@Paladins, just for info. I experienced the runtime error when starting the game (GOG version) over the Launcher link on desktop without running/starting GOG Galaxy client on Win 7. No problem so far, when starting PoE via GOG Galaxy client.

Edited by goodfornothing

Hi,

Hi, and oohps, I started the game via GOG Galaxy, took some time for updating and after that, the game started. Unfortunately not in the language I chose, when installing it without Galaxy .... Sound is English and Text (obviously related to place of downloading machine, in my case, German). Anyway, game started and game loaded first save via GOG Galaxy .... )

I am sorry, my mistake,

sound is English, text concerning language, of course, is personal choice in game options - clear advantage for everyone, who is able to read ... ;-)

Sorry, in case of any misunderstanding. Game saves, btw., load as well, as far as I start the game via GOG Galaxy.

Hi,

just as far as of any interest (PoE originally did not start via desktop link but via GOG Galaxy -without the "runtime error" on my rig).

I am still on Win7, 64 bit. After starting GOG Galaxy, PoE, due to my configuration for automatical update, was updated (on 30 Oct. 2015). I just started the game via the desktop link (GOG Galaxy not activated) without any problems concerning the "runtime error". Game started and loaded the game save of my choice. If due to the developers, what I assume, thank you very much.