Cool Game. When Is It Coming Out?

So I pre-ordered it and noticed it's been out on early access beta for what, 6 months now? I am so excited. Been waiting for years to play another isometric old school cRPG!

I've played 100+ hours of the game so far. Loved it. Even bought both expansions. It's highly usual that the devs commit to making expansions before even completing the full game. But I've played through the beta and - yeah I know $75 is a lot of hard earned money but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I know, I know, a lot of the functions don't work properly and there are more bugs than a ****roach-invested sewage. But all they need to do is spend maybe another 6 months or so and just really focus on polishing the game...

It should totally one of the most anticipated games of 2016!

Wait, what? Are you telling me this *is* the finished game?! Are you kidding me? $75 for a game plus expansion from a major developer with upfront Kickstarter support. And the "end product" is less finished than your average $20 indie RPG? 6 months of patching after launch?

Guess the joke's on us.

This was my first Obsidian game (aside from trying Dungeon Siege III on a friend's computer - blegh), and I knew they had a reputation for bugs, but I too am a little appalled at the sheer number of them.  But then, I broke my cardinal rule of always waiting to play a game until it's been fully expanded/patched/enhanced officially, and if necessary by a fan patch.  I just wanted to play this game too much to wait, and I have to say, it's still been deeply satisfying.  It's exactly the game I wanted to play, which makes the glitches all the more irritating.  I still have high hopes it will be polished someday.

You never played older Obsidian games, did you? As far as I'm concerned, Pillars of Eternity is the most polished and tested game Obsidian has ever released. It is a bit sad, yes, but I love Obsidian anyway. Either way, if you are bothered by minor bugs and glitches this much, don't buy games by Obsidian. Ever.

• Like 1

I'm not sure on where people seem to be finding all these bugs?  I mean, I've come across some but no more than most other games these days, I've had worse, utterly game-breaking bugs from other games (including one that forever ****ed a playthrough, because due to the nature of the game you could never have more than one save) and they never even got patched out in the end.  Baldur's Gate still has bugs to this day (not counting unofficial patches to try to fix them), at least Obsidian is still patching it. 

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

My game is full of bugs. My frenzy still does not work and in combat there are pink boxes all over the place. Do I complain? No. Why? I never played any game since BG2. My BG2 is modded to the extreme and has more bugs than you can count. "That is not up to todays standards. The breakfast-at-starbucks-generation needs everything cut into mouth-friendly pieces." Take your todays standards and stick it up your chimney. Todays standards has brought us bug free WoW, bug free GTA and bug free ****-a-pink-zombie-pony. What does it hurt, when you notice once in a while, that the game you are playing was made by actual people?

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

I've played a lot of games in my life. This has bugs, though I'm hard pressed to call them many, but compared to other games it's virtually bugfree. Not a single CTD since it first came out, which is virtually a premiere for me. Playable, enjoyable and no broken quests, as far as I am concerned. Granted, I don't do number crunching, so I wwouldn't even know if some stat doesn't do exactly what it's supposed to do.

So, major butthurt, unless the OP is really one of the unlucky ones running into bugs I never encountered.

• Like 1

My game is full of bugs. My frenzy still does not work and in combat there are pink boxes all over the place. Do I complain? No. Why? I never played any game since BG2. My BG2 is modded to the extreme and has more bugs than you can count. "That is not up to todays standards. The breakfast-at-starbucks-generation needs everything cut into mouth-friendly pieces." Take your todays standards and stick it up your chimney. Todays standards has brought us bug free WoW, bug free GTA and bug free ****-a-pink-zombie-pony. What does it hurt, when you notice once in a while, that the game you are playing was made by actual people?

You do realize the game is priced at today's standards? And you only demand the same quality 15 years ago? Wow. Your generation sure is every marketer's dream demographic.

I've played a lot of games in my life. This has bugs, though I'm hard pressed to call them many, but compared to other games it's virtually bugfree. Not a single CTD since it first came out, which is virtually a premiere for me. Playable, enjoyable and no broken quests, as far as I am concerned. Granted, I don't do number crunching, so I wwouldn't even know if some stat doesn't do exactly what it's supposed to do.

So, major butthurt, unless the OP is really one of the unlucky ones running into bugs I never encountered.

You know, the bug report section is just one click away... I'll list you all the bugs I personally found and reported there (most of which still unacknowledged by dev btw) but we'll be up all night. And yes I do number crunch. Just because most people don't use every feature they paid for doesn't mean the devs aren't responsible for getting all of them right.

What does it say about the game when the busiest section of a game's official forum is not General Discussion but Bug Report? And don't get me started on the bugs reported over at Steam...

If OBS needs time to patch the game and make it work, I'm patient, I can wait. Like I said, put it on Early Access. I'll be forgiving. But patch it and make it work. Don't go about rushing - not one, but two - expansions out the gate when your base game is hardly even working. And now a sequel? Why, because patching a game isn't profitable enough for ya? Do we have to constantly be buying something to keep the devs interested in improving a game that you claim to have so much passion for?

Sure doesn't look like it.

LaSpeakeasi: Just browsed the tech support forums and holy crap man, you got some unlucky streak here. Have you tried playing the game before 2.0 patch? It introduced a ton of pretty big changes to the game and also introduced a bunch of new bu... I mean, unexpected features to the game. Because it was actually working very nicely before 2.0, for me anyway, while I managed to finish the expansion without encountering anything, I didn't play trough the base game with 2.0. (I want to replay it quite badly, but want to wait for the second expansion first. And, apparently, wait another 3 months after its release for Obsidian to fix the features they add there. *sigh* I'll buy the expansion day 1 anyway as I am unredeemable)

That said, Pillars of Eternity is a big RPG, and if you want those to be bug-free, you need to wait for at least a year before purchasing them. I mean, look at Betheda's games, they have infintely higher budget than Pillars of Eternity did and end up even more broken on release. 

• Like 1

You need to pay attention and patch.  Also if you research the Frenzy bug before 2.02 (its fixed with this patch) you will see that you can activate it after taking a hit, being parallel to the enemy or letting the AI do it.  Also 2.02 fixes the texture issues that you are having.

Have gun will travel.

You do realize the game is priced at today's standards? And you only demand the same quality 15 years ago? Wow. Your generation sure is every marketer's dream demographic.

You do realize that the budget for BG2 was nearly double the budget for PoE? And that was 1998. And that they already had the engine? You do realize that all of todays crap has budgets that are very much higher than for this game. And that this crap is produced by real big publishers that dont risk anything while Obsidian almost had to close? And that I didn't demand the same quality? This game is in many aspects better than todays ugly standards.

---

We're all doomed

You need to pay attention and patch.  Also if you research the Frenzy bug before 2.02 (its fixed with this patch) you will see that you can activate it after taking a hit, being parallel to the enemy or letting the AI do it.  Also 2.02 fixes the texture issues that you are having.

Did that yesterday. Maybe something went wrong.

---

We're all doomed

Do you frequent the Codex OP? You'd fit right in.

I find amazing that people expect 50+ million dollar quality from >4million dollar game.

Wait... Let me guess, you work in middle management?

That aside, sure Obsidian games are buggy, but that seems to be the price of modern quality unfortunetaly... Paradox, Taleworlds, troika, double bear and on and on.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

I had played obsidians bugfests before but i was hoping they would do it properly now. That they had learned their lessons.

But this game has been the buggiest game ive ever played and for half a year it has been so.

Im so tired of the gamebreaking bugs that ive said never again an obsidian game

I thought the game was pretty stable before 2.0 and the expansion, especially around 1.0.6, but getting White March has made it significantly worse for me.

You never played older Obsidian games, did you? As far as I'm concerned, Pillars of Eternity is the most polished and tested game Obsidian has ever released. It is a bit sad, yes, but I love Obsidian anyway. Either way, if you are bothered by minor bugs and glitches this much, don't buy games by Obsidian. Ever.

Dungeon Siege and South Park I think are easily the least buggy games of theirs I've played.  This one was probably next, although since the expansion I'm not sure, at this point I'm probably having more problem with it than I did with Sith Lords, which wasn't the case a couple months ago.

Edited by MunoValente
  • Like 2

Look, I love Pillars of Eternity. It is wish fulfillment to a high degree. I wanted a BG2 spiritual successor and they delivered. However its been out six months and some of the nasty, game breaking bugs were just patched out, and even that patch broke as much as it fixed for me. (In a item collecting RPG like BG2 or PoE, your inventory eating random UNIQUE pieces of loot is game breaking to me) 

This last patch gave me back "out of combat" accuracy ratings but ruined my Sagani's stats and now my PC character paladin's flames of devotion does not apply flame damage if his soulbound redeemer procs, just to name two new bugs. That makes two patches in a row that created bugs as nasty as the ones I wanted patched out. I guess I expect bugs but not to such a high degree after 6 months of patching. Its all OK though because Obsidian is working on it, check out this quote from a 2012 interview!

"We as a company got into a big room and we said, ‘We are not gonna make buggy games anymore,'" Urquhart said.

So they designed an entirely new bug-tracking system—a computerized program that automatically sends crash reports to their engineers. Their last bug-recording system, Urquhart said, involved pens and paper.

"I think that's what people are gonna see from us from now on—they're not gonna see buggy products," he said. "I dunno what the exact count is, but we're a ways away from being done on South Park and we've already fixed 10,000 bugs."

Look, I love Pillars of Eternity. It is wish fulfillment to a high degree. I wanted a BG2 spiritual successor and they delivered. However its been out six months and some of the nasty, game breaking bugs were just patched out, and even that patch broke as much as it fixed for me. (In a item collecting RPG like BG2 or PoE, your inventory eating random UNIQUE pieces of loot is game breaking to me) 

This last patch gave me back "out of combat" accuracy ratings but ruined my Sagani's stats and now my PC character paladin's flames of devotion does not apply flame damage if his soulbound redeemer procs, just to name two new bugs. That makes two patches in a row that created bugs as nasty as the ones I wanted patched out. I guess I expect bugs but not to such a high degree after 6 months of patching. Its all OK though because Obsidian is working on it, check out this quote from a 2012 interview!

"We as a company got into a big room and we said, ‘We are not gonna make buggy games anymore,'" Urquhart said.

So they designed an entirely new bug-tracking system—a computerized program that automatically sends crash reports to their engineers. Their last bug-recording system, Urquhart said, involved pens and paper.

"I think that's what people are gonna see from us from now on—they're not gonna see buggy products," he said. "I dunno what the exact count is, but we're a ways away from being done on South Park and we've already fixed 10,000 bugs."

This has been my exact experience.  Realtively bug free up until 2.0.  I would say that although not perfect 1.6 was the best state of the game.  Don't get me wrong 2.2 has improved a lot of things but has messed up sagani and FoD issues with Soulbound weapons.  That being said in over 500 hours of playing I have not had 1 one crash.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

The bugs might be annoying, but bugs long after release aren't an Obsidian exclusive problem. DA:I came out nearly a year ago, and it still has lots of bugs--especially image bugs--, and I think BioWare said they're not going to patching it any further. At least Obsidian is still trying to fix bugs.

Edited by the_dog_days

The bugs might be annoying, but bugs long after release aren't an Obsidian exclusive problem. 

I still need to use a third party script extender exe, an anti crash plugin and an unofficial patch compilation before New Vegas will deign to load a 2 hour old save game (an UNMODDED save game at that). And it was released how long ago?

Bugs are not exclusive to Obsidian but they sure have a reputation for being extra buggy. The fact that they keep introducing new bugs to POE with each patch isn't helping with my perception of them.

The bugs might be annoying, but bugs long after release aren't an Obsidian exclusive problem.

I still need to use a third party script extender exe, an anti crash plugin and an unofficial patch compilation before New Vegas will deign to load a 2 hour old save game (an UNMODDED save game at that). And it was released how long ago?

Bugs are not exclusive to Obsidian but they sure have a reputation for being extra buggy. The fact that they keep introducing new bugs to POE with each patch isn't helping with my perception of them.

Best, worst bugged game ever: Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines. I somehow managed to get the game to start and played it all the way through (by never leaving the game screen), and haven't been able to do it since, even with mods.

And it was their reputation as a buggy shop that killed Troika with that game. That and the fact that they left their previous game unpatched and that alienated most of their fans.

So, in short, start tightening those bolts Obsidian, I don't want another Troika disaster.

Edited by srlapo

And it was their reputation as a buggy shop that killed Troika with that game. That and the fact that they left their previous game unpatched and that alienated most of their fans.

So, in short, start tightening those bolts Obsidian, I don't want another Troika disaster.

What we're seeing now is a regression though, South Park and Dungeon Siege were huge improvements in stability and this game wasn't that bad at release considering it's complexity and short dev time.  The issues they are having now with patching and the expansion are definitely a step in the wrong direction though.

Your experience with New Vegas seems like a pretty severe outlier, that game has a ton issues, especially freezes and crashes, but not being able to get it to run at all, is much less common.

I don't think irrecoverably missing nearly all new spells in a $15 content DLC counts as a "minor" bug.