Items can't be equipped from inventory and disappear

Mojocity

Question

Downloaded new full (2.02) poe and white march from gog. Did a fresh install, when I try to equip an item from the inventory the highlighted character blinks and switches to the other character and the item disappears. If I put the items in the stash and equip them from the stash, it works.

I tried to uninstall the game and I get an error screen and it won't uninstall now,    Runtime error (at 16:321)  SWbem Locator: The specified service does not exist as an installed service     

21 answers to this question

Downloaded new full (2.02) poe and white march from gog. Did a fresh install, when I try to equip an item from the inventory the highlighted character blinks and switches to the other character and the item disappears. If I put the items in the stash and equip them from the stash, it works.

I tried to uninstall the game and I get an error screen and it won't uninstall now,    Runtime error (at 16:321)  SWbem Locator: The specified service does not exist as an installed service     

I have 238 hours in POE (via Steam). However, since I upgraded to Windows 10, I get the same thing as the OP. Other symptoms include the following: If I try to drag and drop from an inventory slot to equip it, the inventory UI flashes as if there is a pointing device conflict. If I try to change a primary or secondary color, it changes it for the next party member down. If I click the Appearance icon, it switches to the next party member down. I have deleted the whole game (including manually deleting folders) at least three times and redownloaded 2.03 from Steam. I have rebooted many times. The local files all validate successfully. I have tried removing every single thing from all USB ports except the mouse (Logitech Marble), and it does the same thing. I am using an Alienware PC with NVIDIA graphics on a Windows 10, 64 bit system. No other Steam games seem to have a similar issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello bufossil,

Have you also checked to see if your graphics driver has the latest drivers installed? Particularly for Windows 10? Make sure you run Windows Update often as well. A lot of things will need to be updated since you just upgraded to Win 10.

Try that and let me know if that solves your issue.

Thanks a bunch! 

Hello bufossil,

Have you also checked to see if your graphics driver has the latest drivers installed? Particularly for Windows 10? Make sure you run Windows Update often as well. A lot of things will need to be updated since you just upgraded to Win 10.

Thanks a bunch! 

Thank you for responding. Yes, I take all NVIDIA updates the moment they become available (I am prompted to take them every so often). If I recall correctly, there have been three updates since I upgraded to Windows 10. I also manually check Windows updates several times a week, and take any that are available. So far none of the updates have fixed the inventory UI glitch.

Hello bufossil,

Thanks a bunch! 

Hi again, I have tried some other approaches with no success. I tried running the game as an administrator, but it did the same thing. I also tried running the executable using the integrated graphics that came with this Alienware system. It did the same thing. My NVIDIA is GTX 555, with a driver updated on November 13, 2015. Therefore, I do not think it is the NVIDIA drivers.

Hello again,

Could you please upload a save file, an output log, and a dxdiag file (system spec) via dropbox so I can take a look? If possible, uploading a video of what is happening will be very helpful as well. 

Thank you for your support. 

I have the three files you asked for in a zipped folder, but I have no idea how to do the dropbox step. I searched on the forum and could not find any instructions. It isn't in the How to Report an Issue post, and it is not in the FAQs post. What I am supposed to do?

Dropbox is a free cloud server you can use by signing up and creating a free account. Once you sign up, simple add those files to dropbox and create a shareable link and post that link here. 

https://www.dropbox.com/

You don't have to use dropbox, you can also use google drive and create a shareable folder, or any other cloud service site. 

Cheers.

Dropbox is a free cloud server you can use by signing up and creating a free account. Once you sign up, simple add those files to dropbox and create a shareable link and post that link here. 

https://www.dropbox.com/

You don't have to use dropbox, you can also use google drive and create a shareable folder, or any other cloud service site. 

Cheers.

Well, I guess I am done trying. Thank you for replying so thoughtfully to my OP, and thank you for the game. It gave me 238 hours of fun. Good job! I truly appreciate the effort.

Hey bufossil,

I hope you didn't get discourage, I would really like to help solve your issue.

Here is a link that gives detailed instructions on how to use dropbox and share a folder. 

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/19

Here is one for google drive:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en

Heres a video for Mediafire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SpU8jgQhbo

I guess I am discouraged, and I did not want to have to delve into a file-sharing method.

1. The drop-box instructions in the link you provided says I have to share by inputting someone's email address. (Step 4.)

2. I do not know what email address you want me to use. There is no email address from Obsidian in the article that appears when you click the link: How to Report an Issue.

This is precisely the kind of merry-go-round that I wanted to avoid. After several posts, I still do not know how to do what you requested.

Let's just call it done.  Thanks again.

You don't need to email anyone anything so you don't need an email address. There should be an option to share a "link" which you can post on a forum (like this one right here) or some such.

Edited by Nicholas Steel

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

It seems like a graphical/rendering issue to me. I have had a similar issue in a different game where it always thought the pointer was down and to the left of where it actually rendered on screen.

No idea how to fix it, but maybe this will help point in the right direction.

(I had to wait several patches and a major driver update in my case - this was Planetary Annihilation btw, which now works fine - but I can't say for sure whether it was a bug in the game or a driver issue).

Edit - question for the OP: are you using a "gaming mouse" that has you install software? If so, is this also up to date/win10 version? If your mouse has some associated bloatware running you could try plugin in a "dumb" usb mouse and see if that works.

Edited by haveahappy

Hey bufossil,

Thanks for getting those files to me, those are the correct files. I loaded up your save and has no issues at all. I did see a lot of issue in your output log. Could you please tell me what exactly the issue is? 

Also when you uninstalled the game, did you delete the Pillars of Eternity Folder in the Steam directory before reinstalling? 

When upgrading to Windows 10, were you coming from a 32bit OS and upgrading to 64bit? 

Hey bufossil,

Thanks for getting those files to me, those are the correct files. I loaded up your save and has no issues at all. I did see a lot of issue in your output log. Could you please tell me what exactly the issue is? 

Also when you uninstalled the game, did you delete the Pillars of Eternity Folder in the Steam directory before reinstalling? 

When upgrading to Windows 10, were you coming from a 32bit OS and upgrading to 64bit? 

Issue: When I open the inventory UI, if I try to pick up and drop an inventory item into a slot on the active character, the game drops it in the slot of the character next lower down. Sometimes the inventory UI simply removes the item I am trying to equip from the game. It is gone forever. If I try to change the primary or secondary color of the active character, the UI changes it on the character the next row down. If I click an item and hold it (to drag and drop), all the entire inventory UI starts flashing, as if someone was clicking different characters about 20 cycles per second.

When I uninstalled the game, yes, I went into the Steam folder and deleted the POE folder manually before reinstalling.

Finally, I went from Windows 7, 64 bit to Windows 10, 64 bit.

To my non-technical eye, it seems to be acting like a conflict between pointing devices. It is like the Logitech marble mouse signal is being interrupted somehow. I also have a Razer keyboard for my left hand. However, these two devices are not in conflict for any other games I play on Steam. [Edit: I took driver updates for both devices immediately after the upgrade to Windows 10.]

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Edited by bufossil

This is what I tried:

1. Uninstalled the driver for my Razer Nostromo, and tested the game with it uninstalled. The game did the same thing. Reinstalled the driver. (The Razer was the only totally new driver I installed after the upgrade to Windows 10.)

2. Found an FAQ on the Razer website that said the reason Windows 10 screen saver didn't work was due to a driver conflict. The FAQ explained what to disable: Device Manager >> Human Interface Device >> HID-compliant Game Controller. When I looked at that location, there were two identical "HID-compliant Game Controller" entries. I tried disabling one, tested the game, and then disabling them both, and testing the game. In both cases, the game did the same thing.

3. I looked at the drivers for the standard keyboard I have connected to the PC. It uses the two generic windows drivers and nothing else (kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys). I found websites that told me not to uninstall those, so I did not.

4. I made sure I had the latest driver for the Logitech marble mouse, but I did not uninstall and reinstall it.

I think I am ready to give up. I pursued this thing further than I originally intended, because I liked POE so much. I was hoping there would be something obvious to someone's trained eye, but apparently that is not the case.

I will move on. I will come back and try POE periodically to see if a random windows or product update will fix the mysterious behavior.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Did this issue ever get resolved? I bought this game a few months ago and am just starting it now for the first time. I have Windows 10, Logitech mouse and keyboard and am experiencing this problem as well. Ruins the game which I was really looking forward to playing :(

I solved this by taking a closer look at my key bindings....duh :/ oh well at least I can enjoy the game now!

Edited by Shwan