What is the point of Bash?

Why is there even the bash enchant in the game? Other than to trick people into gimping themselves?

If your shield has it you lose out on Single Weapon Style, do less damage per second since the bash slows down your normal attack, and it does not benefit from Two Weapon Style.

I can not see any redeeming feature or reason to want to have Bash on a shield.

The shield that the travelling merchant sells is one of the few Superb enchanted shields in the game, the only medium sized one I think, has a useful spell enchant but is ruined by having bash. You end up doing near 40% less damage per second if you use the shield with bash.

If bash can't be fixed so that it does not change the attack frequency of the main hand at least give us the ability to dis-enchant it.

Why is there even the bash enchant in the game? Other than to trick people into gimping themselves?

If your shield has it you lose out on Single Weapon Style, do less damage per second since the bash slows down your normal attack, and it does not benefit from Two Weapon Style.

I can not see any redeeming feature or reason to want to have Bash on a shield.

The shield that the travelling merchant sells is one of the few Superb enchanted shields in the game, the only medium sized one I think, has a useful spell enchant but is ruined by having bash. You end up doing near 40% less damage per second if you use the shield with bash.

If bash can't be fixed so that it does not change the attack frequency of the main hand at least give us the ability to dis-enchant it.

There is one possible use for bash: torment's reach. It's a strict damage upgrade for monks with shields who mainly use torment's reach to attack because it works with full attacks. It's a trap on all other characters. It really needs to get a lot more damage (either per quality level on the shield or simply per character level, the accuracy already scales with your level) and it really shoud work with either one handed or two weapon fighting.

Edited by grasida

Single Weapon Style works fine with a shield other than with a Bash shield or if you are using a fist. It has always been that way. A weapon in one hand and a shield or nothing both satisfy the requirement of using only a single weapon.

Uh. If that's true then that sounds like it might be a bug? Or maybe not? Better ask one of the developers.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

As KDubya said, it has indeed always been that way and it has been mentioned on the forums several times, so I assume it's working as intended. The description doesn't suggest otherwise either. In fact, the talent is far more beneficial for characters with shields than with only one weapon since it is more effective when you have low accuracy.

I know right, that larder door shield was soo cool as well, really added to the rag tag look of my crew (all tied together with a least 1 shade of green on each one though) I was using it on my tank, till I realised the bash damage replaced my normal damage, that sucks, should add bash damage to existing stuff you have.

From what You are saying: better options is one handed weapon+shield with one handed style talent than one handed weapon+shield with  weapon and shield style  talent? 6 def.+ 6 ref. from weapon and shield style talent  means less in combat than 30% convert grazes into hits form one handed style  talent. One handed style with shield or nothing  it's just more viable?  I'm getting this correct?

Edited by Gs11

From what You are saying: better options is one handed weapon+shield with one handed style talent than one handed weapon+shield with  weapon and shield style  talent? 6 def.+ 6 ref. from weapon and shield style talent  means less in combat than 30% convert grazes into hits form one handed style  talent. One handed style with shield or nothing  it's just more viable?  I'm getting this correct?

No, you can actually use both style talents at once. Shield style is obligatory for any shield user, of course, and one-handed weapon style helps any shield user who actually intends to deal damage by lowering their graze rate a fair bit. It's a nice combo for a reasonable 2-talent cost.

However, you can't benefit from one-handed style while using a shield that has Bash, since the shield attack counts as using a second weapon.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Just accuracy.

Specifically a one handed weapon and nothing else gets you +12 accuracy, a small shield gets you +0 accuracy, medium shield -4 accuracy and large shield -8 accuracy.

Attack speed is the same for all shields and for one hand only.

Since its a full attack does it actually benefit from dual weapon style?

As stated I think the only use of it is with certain Monk builds

Or early game.

This is another reason id like to see a more robust crafting system so we could overwrite enchants like this and keep the weapon or armor.

They could of course also alter bash to make it more potent.

If it had a chance to stun or knockdown that could be a balance for the loss of damage.