Battletech

ShadySands

No Madcats or Vultures. Legal stuff I suppse.

meh.

well, the time period is wrong.  this is pre-clan invasion, so no omni-mechs.  however, archers and warhammers would likely be out for aforementioned legal reasons... as well as numerous other mechs.

HA! Good Fun!

They are taking models from MWO, warhammer and archer is not in as well so yeah....

To me it's all about the Mechcommander and Mechwarrior series.  Battletech was some kind of DOS game with no clan mechs, who cares about that.

I think its about time period they picked, MWO already have some Clan mechs (Vulture aka Mad Dog)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

tbh, I've grown so, so tired of the clans. Especially the Timber Wolf. By now it's actually my least liked mech. The Mad Dog is still kinda cool, but I'd still rather not use it because all you hear most of the time is clans, clans, clans.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

mechwarrior2 were first released as dos.

*shrug*

and we played the pnp rpg way back in the mid 80s.

regardless, as noted already by Gromnir and chill, the time frame chosen by hairbrained is pre-clan invasion.  in the battletech universe, 3025 is 'bout 25 years before the clan invasion.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

mechwarrior2 were first released as dos.

*shrug*

and we played the pnp rpg way back in the mid 80s.

regardless, as noted already by Gromnir and chill, the time frame chosen by hairbrained is pre-clan invasion.  in the battletech universe, 3025 is 'bout 25 years before the clan invasion.  

HA! Good Fun!

and me :p

I actually did odd jobs around the neighborhood and saved up enough money to buy MW2 when it came out even though I didn't have a computer that could play it until about 3 years later

Free games updated 3/4/21

The Vulture and Shadocats look like they could exist in real life. 

to rob from vol, "no."

giant bipedal piloted robots bristling with weapons is inherent ridiculous and implausible.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps  we apologize for failing to recognize shady as one who also recognized the timeframe aspect o' battletech as precluding clan mechs.  unlike shady, we had a pc that could play the games... which were a bad thing. when gbl were released, we were studying for finals at boalt.  second week in december were finals and game were released last day o' november.  am recalling we took time out from studying to do a couple day marathon session to complete gbl.  mechwarrior expansion took precedence?  yup.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oh I found where the menu is. But all of them say Owned: 0

check if you dont have it already installed in some mech (I am not sure as I never used these but some items are for only one mech)

Thanks, we have a winner! :D

does this look like something that could exist in real life. I mean if it didn't already.

0209_robotdog2.gif

are those bipedal?  and they ain't weapon platforms regardless.  IF you were to make a giant robotic weapon platform, you would never make bipedal as is inherently unstable... and those robots you show could be knocked over and rendered helpless by a 5-year old with a broom handle.  

reality, please introduce yourself to gorgon.

HA! Good Fun!

Had to post this too for giggles

again, you realize those ain't real weapon, yes?  is not even genuine bipedal as is on tracks for chrissakes.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

does this look like something that could exist in real life. I mean if it didn't already.

0209_robotdog2.gif

are those bipedal?  and they ain't weapon platforms regardless.  IF you were to make a giant robotic weapon platform, you would never make bipedal as is inherently unstable... and those robots you show could be knocked over and rendered helpless by a 5-year old with a broom handle.  

HA! Good Fun!

they are supposed to haul gear. Anyway with advancements in servos and CPU cycles robots would be many times more acrobatic and dexterous than a human, scroll to where they kick it. 

The TV show mechs are using paintball guns because, well it's a TV show, what did you expect. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I like the Clans, but guess that is as I started off with MW2 (couldn't play it due to Win95, so I read the tech lab and the lore stuff).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

0209_robotdog2.gif

HA! Good Fun!

they are supposed to haul gear. Anyway with advancements in servos and CPU cycles robots would be many times more acrobatic and dexterous than a human, scroll to where they kick it. 

The TV show mechs are using paintball guns because, well it's a TV show, what did you expect. 

again, we didn't expect anything. is Gromnir who noted silliness.  you forgot already?

*sigh*

and again, a five-year old with a broom handle could knock over and cripple.  a staged scenario is hardly compelling.  staged push?  HA

and no advancement in robotics is gonna change fact that bipedal is inherently less balanced than quad or tracks... so why make bipedal?   put advanced tech to work to compensate for an unnecessary flaw?  giant bipedal weapon platforms is idiotic.

HA! Good Fun!

didn't say mechs are practical, just that they could exist. I suppose it's mostly that they make really big targets and why invest so much into one thing that can be destroyed in one go. 

That kick respose looks pretty genuine to me, at least as a proof of concept. Kid with a broomstick my ass. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

didn't say mechs are practical, just that they could exist. 

being complete impractical kinda precludes them ever existing on any battlefield anywhere... ever.  so, again, "no."

gigantic bipedal weapons platforms is inherent implausible, and show smaller quadruped or tracked bots is hardly gonna change any rational person's pov.  hell, GIGANTIC and weaponized quadrupeds is still ridiculous, but not near as insanely stoopid as biped.

HA! Good Fun!

I disagree. Jury is still out on how robots are going to wind up moving around. Insect based movement has been the most promising so far, but then this also reflected the limitations of our time. 

It might be that emulating any movement system, including bipedal or non thrust flight (flapping robot wings) or whatever might be entirely trivial once we have reached the practical limit of More's Law. They say that might be sooner than later, but who knows. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

*groan*

is not simple 'bout efficient o' movement, though again, bipedal is inherent less stable.  size is an additional factor.  a giant robot weapon platform is kinda silly to begin with, but to then make one that can fall over is asinine. f=ma.  how many tons is your mecha? and explanation for the need o' a giant bipedal weapon platform no doubt is lost on gorgon. 

would never exist, for numerous (and seeming obvious) reasons.

bah.  you are being ridiculous.  your complaint 'bout realism o' mecha were ridiculous.  compound by turning into multiple pages goes beyond even our stubborn capacity to argue.

HA! Good Fun!

It's all about the space marines elementals

battletech space marines/elementals got the fuzzy end o' the lollipop.  got aerospace fighters and space battleships and even some surface naval vessels, but the elementals should be more integral to the battletech battlefield.

'course the elementals is clan stuff, so again, in 3025...

HA! Good Fun!

Theres something about the dog/mule/cheetah gait that unnerves me. :lol: Imagine strapping a minigun to the back of thousands of those and letting them loose on some enemy. Glorious.

and here we thought you would advocate drones.  drones could carry similar weapons.  let thousands o' those loose on the battlefield, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

I assume there will be air to air drones eventually. Also there is the space-junk situation which will eventually lead to the demise of satelites. The number of in orbit space debris is going to increase exponentially as the pieces hit eachother - I think this was the excuse for the movie Gravity, but it's a real effect. 

So there would have to be something to replace that system, like a drone hive. Or.. autonomous drones. Drones are only as effective as they are now because of American military sattelites. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.