Battletech

ShadySands

It said my code was invalid the first time but I tried it again and made sure there were no spaces and it worked. I deleted and retyped the first and last characters just to be sure.

Tried it yesterday several times, no dice. Tried it today, went in on the first try. Someone forgot to punch in a bunch of codes?

Anyway, what the hell is up with "head hits"? I have at least one mercenary get injured because of that **** each mission, with the worst being ALL 4 being sent to sickbay due to that in one go. Not really struggling either, just random lucky shots that force me to hire more people or wait with my thumb up my ass until they are healed. Is this some sort of lame "balancing" mechanic so you can't get too much uptime?

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A sign of my skill that my pilots and mechs spend a lot of time out of commission. At least I got a neat decapitation of the Quickdraw when you get the Argo, so that was something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah, has nothing to do with skill. Been reading up on it, turns out that any hit that deals at least 1 damage to the head will *automatically* cause an injury. This means that especially with SRMs, you WILL get injured pilots simply because of the odds. Some clown scratches your windshield with his machine gun? That's a month bedridden, at least until you can get cоckpit mods that prevent that.  It's bad design, if you ask me—additional tools should provide additional ways to handle situations and tactics, not be designed to overcome obviously artificial hurdles. Worse: it allows for oh exploitable! builds with multi-hit weapons and tactician pilots to cap enemy mechs by killing the squishies inside.

They also removed the piloting check to prevent injuries when mechs keel over because they thought it was "confusing".

I'm editing that **** out. I simply don't have the patience.

I'm having lots of fun, other than that.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Laughing as I screwed myself a bit by stripping my mech and then confirming that, so then I had to refit every weapon...62 days time, ouch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why does this game look so antiquated? I mean the art style on the cut scenes is alright but damn everything looks so drab and washed out and like it was made 15 years ago.

It will not bother me too much but I thought maybe there was something wrong with my graphics card or something.

I'm loving it so far.

Played for a couple hours and managed to prevent the worst injuries and damaged mechs. Haven't done any serious refitting yet, as - honestly - I have no idea in what way I should change the loadouts. I'm running ok with the defaults...

Got the Centurion from the story mission and quite a few other mech parts. Again, no idea what to give the Centurion and who is to pilot it then..

I've noticed that some of the early missions try to fool the player with the initial starting point. That very first mining company task for example. Instead of going forward towards the first objective, it is better to revert and walk around the mountains. Then you'll stumble over the turret generator without anything else being able to hit you... finished that mission without any damage on my second try.

Honestly, I'm more of a missile boat player, so I'm carving for my first catapult. That thing is my jam in non-clan tymes.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If anyone is interested there are some tips:

1. Spec your mech either in long range or in short range, not so much point of having both on same mech

2. Piloting and Guts are good for short range mechs - brawlers/tanks

3. gunnery is good for long range mechs with direct fire

4. tactics is for LRM boats

5. choose mechs with a lot of armor for brawlers (my Centurion is a beast with AC20 and few medium lasers)

6. you can strip some armor from long range mechs

7. basic mech setups are usually garbage

8. at start short range is a king, but I already got few missions where range would be VERY usefull - currently refitting few my mechs

Can someone please confirm if sensor lock should/is ending mechs turn? because if so than its utterly useless skill :/

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think it's supposed to be for light mechs with weak firepower to use in their turn.

Does not make much sanse, you would take heavy mech with armor and firepower any day over 1 weak abilty. At least while I am limited to 4 mechs for drop. Its 25% of your firepower gone...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'll imagine the ability works well with LRM boats. Lock a target, then fire away without the enemy being able to reach you.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'll imagine the ability works well with LRM boats. Lock a target, then fire away without the enemy being able to reach you.

thats the problem, you can't fire away because it ends your turn!

Not this mech will fire, but the 3 remaining mechs in your group.

and that is the problem. It would work 'fine' in 4 vs 4 and if you spec your whole drop to be lets say 3 lrm boats and spotter but lets be real - that setup sux and you still can have 4 LRMs which are superior, not to mention that that 'spotter' mech gets wrecked. If that lock stay on target lets say for 3 rounds I can see it usefull but in current implementation you just write of 25% of your firepower. I would always take a 35% shot rather than use sensor lock

Sensor lock removes 2 pips of evasion and allows your other mechs to use indirect fire on out-of-LoS enemies. It also revelas enemies that are in radar- but out sight range.

Now if you don't consider this a good use of a turn, then don't pick it for your pilots. I'm probably going to keep it around but likely in a heavier mech.

Sensor lock removes 2 pips of evasion and allows your other mechs to use indirect fire on out-of-LoS enemies. It also revelas enemies that are in radar- but out sight range.

Now if you don't consider this a good use of a turn, then don't pick it for your pilots. I'm probably going to keep it around but likely in a heavier mech.

To each his own, let me know later how you feel about your choice :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I've found it to be pretty useful. On a light mech you can decide whether to scout ahead and see what you're running up against, or reserve so you can use sensor lock on the same phase as your indirect fire/sniper mechs to ruin someone's day before they know what's going on. Using it without reserving is somewhat pointless because they'll usually move immediately afterwards and get some of the evasion back.

Whether it pays to have someone in a lighter mech for flanking and scouting I guess it's going to depend on scenario design. If you run against a company of 10 SRM carriers, you're going to want advance warning, but if fights are generally going to be against 3-6 mechs, you're better off just stacking the tonnage. I wish you could pay for some actual intel on OpFor strength before the mission so you could make informed decisions.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 3

I am finding it handy, granted it will be more so once my mechs stop having terrible fits (or I get a Catapult)

If anyone is interested there are some tips:

1. Spec your mech either in long range or in short range, not so much point of having both on same mech

2. Piloting and Guts are good for short range mechs - brawlers/tanks

3. gunnery is good for long range mechs with direct fire

4. tactics is for LRM boats

5. choose mechs with a lot of armor for brawlers (my Centurion is a beast with AC20 and few medium lasers)

6. you can strip some armor from long range mechs

7. basic mech setups are usually garbage

8. at start short range is a king, but I already got few missions where range would be VERY usefull - currently refitting few my mechs

Can someone please confirm if sensor lock should/is ending mechs turn? because if so than its utterly useless skill :/

0. Armooooorrrr... most default builds have way too little armor. Go close to max.

I created a 55 ton Blackjack variant with some LosTech weapons and equipment upgrades. I've tried to keep all internal weight and slots kosher even though the game doesn't check for it because my headcanon is that my family Blackjack is some old Star League prototype. Problem is that if my stuff gets destroyed I can't replace it but I kinda like that as it makes me play much more cautiously than I would otherwise.

I really wish the game had some more mech models

Free games updated 3/4/21

I have to say now that I'm starting to acquire 'Mechs and weapons I'm getting torn on what to use. Had to throw together something random for the free Centurion you get which ended up blooking like a nice long range platform but never got around to actually trying it out because I also scraped together a Panther and a Firestarter and the latter is for now really pulling it's weight.

Now I'm pondering whether to swap the Vindicator or my Blackjack out for the Jaegermech.

Between the pilot training options, the OpFor and my own potential force organization* I'm kinda drowning in possibilities. :lol:

*Thinking melee or light fire support scout (at least until I hit a speed bump necessitating an upgrade), two fire support mechs - one more glass cannon the other heavier to offtank when necessary with a decent alpha strike option if necessary, for which the starting Blackjack is actually really good and finally an extra meaty middle/close brawler to tank some things and alpha strike others. ....So the starting setup basically, just better.

Phew. I'm beginning to agree that injured mechwarriors need too much time to recover. One hit and you're out for a month... and this happens quickly. I guess the game wants you to use multiple people, but simple truth is, I don't feel brave enough to hire more, as this also increase my base costs. The months are flying by like nothing and even traveling to a different system can take you at least a month. I can see how this might become difficult soon.