Battletech

ShadySands

I wanna say there was some KS game that I backed that had a lot of hoopla about undue time and resources spent towards PVP/multiplayer but I can't for the life of me think of which game it was

Maybe I dreamt the whole thing

Anyway, final tally of $2,865,387 according to calc.exe

edits: I no english

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Looks like it was quite the success. A really decent chunk of money for this happening during the post-gold-rush Kickstarter era, all community missions down (not that I care much about the beard match) and Kickstarter just e-mailed me about that new 315$ bill. Humm. Let's hope that jacket is really worth it. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, god forbid people who like to play tactical games with giant robots against people with actual brains get a bone thrown to them.

All hail the SP RPG group, first, foremost and only!

Aww. There, there. It's okay. I was close to making a point involving the detrimental effect multiplayer modes have on (single player) games that have the proper budget and projecting it on a game on a Kickstarter budget where the entire multiplayer mode was conceptually tacked on as the last available (and therefore apparently most expendable) stretch goal, but why bother.

I mean such sentiment isn't REALLY to be expected from a group composed of people liking single player RPGs on a forum of a company making - mostly - single player RPGs, is it? Gee. ;)

Yeah, nevermind that 1: this game isn't made for the Obs boards, it's for Battletech fans (which, as you'll recall, is a tabletop game. With players. Playing against players.) 2: The game started out as a simple skirmish match generator. Multiplayer extension for a skirmish style game? Inconcievable.

As for the budget: What they spend on the MP is less than what's required for reaching the stretch goal, so there there, don't worry. The whole game - SP included, how nice! - will be better for the money. And giving the MPers a reason to donate will mean more money, which, again, is better for the game overall. Not to mention post launch sales helping to fund any troubleshooting or additions that will arise later.

• 4 weeks later...

I already played quite a bit... back in 1996, that is. happy0203.gif I was with a group called -=Gunslingerz=- in House ST. (I think, it's been 20 years after all.) I see some of the old school pages are still up. I had a pretty good sanctioned match rank between mid level and champion. I was a pretty nasty PPC sniper, Marauder & Banshee, when I wasn't overheating the f'n mech with them. I quit because I got tired of dealing with AOL to play it.

screen2battletech.gif

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

But why not putting co-op multiplayer first, pvp second? Meh.

PVP is probably simpler to implement ?

Online multiplayer, of any kind, is significant coding. Imagine trying to write instructions for playing Ping Pong over the phone, in real time. On top of that, it usually is doomed to be mediocre at best if multiplayer wasn't designed into the engine game logic & loop from the ground up.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

• 8 months later...

Even in professional mode that developer couldn't hide that slapped bum face all mechcommander player's make when their pilots take a PPC through the ****pit.

Edit: Hey, this site wont let me type ****pit.  You know, that thing pilots ride in battlemechs and planes.

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've been trying to work out if Obsidian have an agenda to curtail my freedom of speech over the past few days - and I'm starting to see it happen now.  I wanna express myself as a mechwarrior in my home made ****pit, sitting in a pea**** chair with a ****tail at the ready while wearing a ****-comb hat, and you guys are preventing it.

Yeah, I've been trying to work out if Obsidian have an agenda to curtail my freedom of speech over the past few days - and I'm starting to see it happen now.  I wanna express myself as a mechwarrior in my home made ****pit, sitting in a pea**** chair with a ****tail at the ready while wearing a ****-comb hat, and you guys are preventing it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....you are fully entitled to wear your coxcomb hat, you just have to spell it correctly. :p

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

beta begins march 15 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 1 month later...

Shame that I already spent more money that I should have this month on backing other projects (namely Deadifre and Sunless Skies) or I would have backed the heck out of this thing

For now though, I'm going to recommend a hardcore tactical mech game to you guys that's a little different. Hopefully you'll like it:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274500

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, Mitch here.  

I’m happy to tell you that our Kickstarter Backer Beta is on track for release on June 1st. The game’s looking good, playing well, and the team is firing on all cylinders but we need to take some more time to further test and bugfix our multiplayer code before confidently releasing the beta into your hands - that way, we can minimize networking issues and everyone can have a good time on day one.

and then

Right now, somewhere in Sweden, BattleTech & MechWarrior creator Jordan Weisman is announcing a partnership between Harebrained Schemes and Paradox Interactive to publish BATTLETECH on PC. As our Backers, we feel it’s important that you get this information straight from us before it hits the press, so here’s the deal in a nutshell: Paradox will provide marketing support, localization services, and funds for additional testing in exchange for a cut of the game’s sales. This allows us to focus all our efforts on making a great game while maintaining complete creative control.

I’m really excited that HBS will have the chance to work with Paradox as they are the clear category leader for PC strategy games. We respect the quality and depth of their games and they have lots of players and fans in our studio. Equally important to us is the way that Paradox respects and engages with their community, values we share.

and then

So why is this a good thing?

• Because with Paradox’s additional test funding, we’ll have more professional testers banging on the game earlier so we ship the highest quality game we can.
  • Because with their help, we can also deliver higher quality localized versions of the game to our overseas players and spend far less time managing the process. 
  • Because we won’t need to divide our attention away from making the game in order to sell the game. We’re not marketers - we’re game developers, and we want our focus to be firmly on delivering the best BATTLETECH experience we can. 
  • Because we all love BattleTech and the more attention that Paradox can bring to the game, the better its chances for success in an incredibly crowded and competitive marketplace. As I’m often quoted, “In success, all things are possible.” Paradox’s marketing support will hopefully result in increased sales of the game and allow for years of BATTLETECH expansions and sequels for all of us to enjoy. 

and then

and then

FAQ 

Is this the real reason the Backer Beta was delayed?Absolutely not. Our new relationship with Paradox had nothing to do with the delay of our Backer Beta. See the explanation in Kickstarter Update #36 for details.

Does Paradox have control over the design of the game?
Nope. HBS has complete creative control of the game. Paradox has lots of BattleTech fans who have opinions (just like our Backers) but HBS is not obligated to take their feedback. That said, the company has lots of experience with strategy games and we’d be dumb not to listen.

Who is responsible for testing the game now?
Harebrained Schemes controls the testing of the game. Paradox is funding it.

Who will handle customer support for BATTLETECH?
For our Backer Beta and service to our Backers, it’s Harebrained Schemes all the way. 

Once the game launches, Paradox will handle customer support. They have a full team of experienced support staff and a history of quality customer support. They will (of course) team up with our development team for investigation and vetting of technical issues.

What happens to our personal information from the Kickstarter? Does Paradox get it now?
Definitely not. We take your privacy very seriously and will not be sharing any information gathered via Kickstarter with Paradox or anyone else.

Will the game still release on Steam, GOG, and Humble?
You bet. BATTLETECH will release on Steam, GoG, and Humble on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Nothing has changed there and, as we mentioned in an earlier update, we're looking at a late Summer/Fall release.

Will I still be able to download a DRM-Free version of the game?
Yes. A DRM-Free version will be available on GOG.

You mentioned expansions. What's the plan for post-launch content and DLC?
In success we hope to release full-fledged expansions to the game and intend to focus on that over small pieces of DLC.

What about sequels? Does Paradox have a say in those?
We have no agreement with Paradox to release sequels to the game at this time. If our relationship goes well, we’ll consider it in the future.

No more and then

Free games updated 3/4/21

it.. actually.. looks much better than I anticipated! Hyped!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"