What needs improvement (in next DLC or Pillars2)

• Let characters in party walk through each other... 

People like you make me mad to no end. I hope developers ignore you and don't turn the game into incoherent arcadey gibberish.

Don't make this personal, stay civilized and argue the point instead.

Why I said let them go through? Not as a final solution but as a temporary fix until the next game.

The truth is pathing is kind of horrible :

1) If you are in a corridor, your tank will keep bumping into your front instead of being able to go to the front. Why is he in the back? when exploring it is better to put your guy with a lot of mechanic in front so he can detect traps before tank walks into them. You don't typically explore in fighting formation. The more difficult a trap is, the closer you need to be to see it, in od nua often your tank will walk on a trap before you spot it if you do your battle formation to explore.

2) Often VISUALLY there will be enough room for your characters to go around, but they will still be stuck for no reason

3) Sometimes you need to reposition in combat, even if your tank is in front you need your wizard on the side to cast cone spells... when pathing doens't work as it should, this becomes impossible and frustrating, your wizard will keep running back and forth for no reason

I said let the character walk through each other as a quick fix to this problem. Of course we can all agree that having a decent pathing AI would be best, but as you might know, pathing problems and AI are some of the more difficult problems to tackle for small studios and it is unlikely you will get perfect pathing overnight.

1) If you are in a corridor, your tank will keep bumping into your front instead of being able to go to the front. Why is he in the back? when exploring it is better to put your guy with a lot of mechanic in front so he can detect traps before tank walks into them. You don't typically explore in fighting formation. The more difficult a trap is, the closer you need to be to see it, in od nua often your tank will walk on a trap before you spot it if you do your battle formation to explore.

I have Aloth in first position to spot traps, and I never had a problem. The game pauses as soon as a trap or enemies are spotted, which enables to reorganiza my party before they can spot me.

2) Often VISUALLY there will be enough room for your characters to go around, but they will still be stuck for no reason

They're stuck because there is no room.

3) Sometimes you need to reposition in combat, even if your tank is in front you need your wizard on the side to cast cone spells... when pathing doens't work as it should, this becomes impossible and frustrating, your wizard will keep running back and forth for no reason

Same as above, you're trying to move the caster somewhere there is no room.

I said let the character walk through each other as a quick fix to this problem. Of course we can all agree that having a decent pathing AI would be best, but as you might know, pathing problems and AI are some of the more difficult problems to tackle for small studios and it is unlikely you will get perfect pathing overnight.

Characters already walk through each other outside of combat. Granted, it takes a little while to get used to the difference once combat starts, but it's really not insurmontable.
  • Like 2

This time the enemy had the problem... again open space, with a tree on the right side of my tank, spider keeps running back and forth then stops and does nothing... it doesn't seem to understand how to go around the tree to flank my tank.

In other words, pathing is not only stopping players, but also preventing enemies from fighting efficiently. This could easily be taken advantage of by shielding (level 1 cleric spell making someone invulnerable) party members to pose pathing problems for enemies. You could even turn large doorways into small doorways (impossible to get past tank) and so on.

Besides, realistically, if you are in a corridor, and have a friend in front of you... won't he just step aside to let you pass? In other words no clipping doesnt have to mean people are ghosts, it just means they are realistically gonna step aside to let the guy in the back through when needed. It just makes more sens than people being immovable stone golems, equivalent to unsurmountable walls you have to go around.

For the trap finding problem I just have the tank be the trap finder, usually my main character at that. That way my exploring formation is my combat formation and my team is always in position.

You can pass through when out of combat to minimize any pathing issues. In combat positioning has consequences. You can have the guy in the wrong position pull out eat a disengagement attack and then go to where you wanted him to be. Or you can just put him in the right position to start with.

Without combat positions having 'mass' to stop pass through the enemy would just mob the front guys stacking themselves five tall instead of flowing around and flanking you.

Volume, not mass :) But I get what you mean.

Since I play PoTD I build my tank with survival to maximize potions. Potions are not always needed, but i am glad i have survival when i do need it. 

Second thing, best to use mechanics on a class with mechanics bonus, or generally built with options (origin factors etc) for mechanics, meaning not the tank.

Third, to handle some of the text adventures that require high survival, you need someone to have it high, might as well be the tank... else team roles get screwy and i don't just mean in role play.

But I get your point, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• 1 month later...