Longwatch--Alpine Dragon

In conversations with NPCs, attribute scores often determine which additional dialog options are unlocked for you to choose from - for example with high Perception you may notice something about the person you're talking to that others wouldn't have, and confront them about it. Since the main character does all the talking in Pillars of Eternity, only his or her attributes are checked in this way - not those of companions.
Edited by dukefx

• 1 month later...

And this is why I've begun playing only high resolve PCs.  I HATE having to kill my way through a game.  And the only way to not do that in most games of this sort is to finagle around with the "speech" perk (whatever it may be called in any given game).  I'm not going into my rant about no way other than killing to advance.  Not right now.

I suppose you can take it as read though....

• Like 1

I love to be given a peaceful way out ... but not for major set pieces like Alpine Dragon. I would slaughter him if he surrendered XD

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

And this is why I've begun playing only high resolve PCs.  I HATE having to kill my way through a game.  And the only way to not do that in most games of this sort is to finagle around with the "speech" perk (whatever it may be called in any given game).  I'm not going into my rant about no way other than killing to advance.  Not right now.

I suppose you can take it as read though....

I know 2 RPG where you can "defeat" final Boss by Speaking by the way.

They are so famous that it will probably not be a new information for you, but in case you're interested...

I really makes me sad that Resolve is used so much for talking purposes in this game, basically one of the characters (or maybe the only one?) which benefits from high RES is priest, and I don't want him as PC, not interesting enough as a class for me, they should've make more options...

I wouldn't opt for killing ANY boss if given a way to avoid it.  Just how I am....

@Elric Galad - I really don't know what games you mean.  I don't necessarily follow "famous" names.

Don't you ever had a desire to roleplay evil, sadistic, murdering character? Just for the sake of experiment maybe, see how that plays out?

Oralaina - one of the two games is Planescape: Torment, to date one of the best written games one could play. Not sure about the other.

Stoner - Paladin and tanky characters in general benefit from RES. It doesn't help that RES governs Deflection, but Deflection had to go somewhere and RES had to contribute something mechanically.

I like the fact that RES opens up many dialog options, and I say so despite never playing high-RES characters; it makes sense and it is rewarding for people who pump it (contrary to what usually happens to CHA in D&D games.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Oralaina - one of the two games is Planescape: Torment, to date one of the best written games one could play. Not sure about the other.

There's quite a few actually. The original Fallout allows you to talk the final boss to death. I'm pretty sure second game does that too. Then there's Mass Effect, but you still get a boss fight, sort of. Age of Decadence can be completed without killing a single person. You could definitely talk your way out of the final boss in Arcanum. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - the new Shadowrun games are generally massively worth playing. I'm sure there's loads more. But yeah, Planescape is a classic. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

@everyone - I won't play any game which requires I play a male toon, no matter how "wonderful" the game.  And that goes double for Torment, since I'm very familiar with that universe from years and years of Dragon Mag - and I simply don't like it one bit.  That game doesn't need a third strike - it's already out for me, with only two.

I liked ME1 - though having to play the later ones through origin (I think it was) meant I just wasn't going there.  Bad enough I have to play Skyrim and ME1 through steam....  And the Fallouts - well, yeah, they're really great games.  But I grew up in the era where we spent time in school nearly every day going over duck and cover, and what could happen if an atomic bomb happened near us - it got to where I was reliving some of the horrific films we saw in school, in my dreams so I don't play them any more.  Yes, it was a long time ago - but it's still revisiting something I'd rather not.

PoE and Skyrim (well, TES games generally) suit me fine.  They don't really reference anything IRL, and I can play females in them.  Yep.  I'm nitnoidy that way.

@everyone - I won't play any game which requires I play a male toon, no matter how "wonderful" the game.  And that goes double for Torment, since I'm very familiar with that universe from years and years of Dragon Mag - and I simply don't like it one bit.  That game doesn't need a third strike - it's already out for me, with only two.

I liked ME1 - though having to play the later ones through origin (I think it was) meant I just wasn't going there.  Bad enough I have to play Skyrim and ME1 through steam....  And the Fallouts - well, yeah, they're really great games.  But I grew up in the era where we spent time in school nearly every day going over duck and cover, and what could happen if an atomic bomb happened near us - it got to where I was reliving some of the horrific films we saw in school, in my dreams so I don't play them any more.  Yes, it was a long time ago - but it's still revisiting something I'd rather not.

PoE and Skyrim (well, TES games generally) suit me fine.  They don't really reference anything IRL, and I can play females in them.  Yep.  I'm nitnoidy that way.

No one is actually forcing you to do anythin... no really...

Now we all love b :dancing: :dancing: bies   but we don't go wild screaming about it in the streets or in the forums :no:

Anyway back on topic, the safest bet for anyone interested to actually kill the Alpine or the Adra dragon is to reach max level fully geared/rested/fed and then head over there and "end them rightly".