Completely Random heart-felt wish for Lichdom

Silens

With all of the awesome games obsidian puts out, and due to certain outside factors. Its recently rekindled my childish desire to role play as a lich. I am not talking about starting out as one, but starting as a weakling wizard and through slow accumulation, questing, choices, blood, sweat, and tears, is being given the opertunity to open up class specializations to accent your basic class. The satisfaction of building the most evil personification of the master of dark magics and going through a ritual of undeath... its an irrational desire that harkens back to my might and magic days. I can't find a way to fill that void anywhere. I can't be the only one who thinks it would be cool if one of the most bad a** producers of RPG's would write this concept into one of there games at some point right? A random thought, for a random post.

as a child, our wishings were mostly humble.  we wanted an end to shoveling horse sh!t.  we wanted to wake up in january and february without shivering from cold.  we wanted to eat something other than ketchup soup and popcorn.

'course we also wanted to go to alien worlds. we wanted to meet dragons.  we wanted to be able to subvert the laws o' physics with magic and/or psychic powers.

we will say that wanting to be undead has Never appealed to us.  our intro to such things was more... classical.  dracula and other traditional undead were either a mindless plague, or the victims o' divine curse.  where is the vampire during those daylight hours? sleeping peaceful and dreamless in a coffin?  before anne rice, older tradition gots the vampire/demon spirit being tormented in hell during the hours when the sun were above the horizon.  am not gonna call it a childhood wish, but one o' these days, we would like to see vampires and other "kewl" undead successful translated into popular medium such that their existence is genuine terrible.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was chatting with the Vicar this morning in the shade of the old Lich Gate, I wonder why Gygax and Arneson chose that particular word, seems rather unremarkable.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I was chatting with the Vicar this morning in the shade of the old Lich Gate, I wonder why Gygax and Arneson chose that particular word, seems rather unremarkable.

d&d creators were fans o' pulp fiction and early sci-fi/fantasy. lich is not so much a d&d creation as it is a repurposing. hp lovecraft used "lich." even earlier, ambrose bierce used the term.  

aside: hp lovecraft were kinda a fan o' bierce as more than a few bierce stories and concepts made their way into lovecraft works.  fans o' season 1 o' true detective could google "carcosa" for an additional example. 

that being said, am, s'posing the lychgate is likely the origin o' such stuff in english lit given the funereal imagery. literal means "corpse gate," no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes it's where they used to leave the body while church services were held, obviously no longer done in that manner, because bodies usually no longer stink, bloat or are diseased due to modern techniques of preparation.

Edit: Nice to see them using old English but i'd have personally given the apex Undead a title such as a Sisyphean or somesuch, more indicative of their nature.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

With all of the awesome games obsidian puts out, and due to certain outside factors. Its recently rekindled my childish desire to role play as a lich. I am not talking about starting out as one, but starting as a weakling wizard and through slow accumulation, questing, choices, blood, sweat, and tears, is being given the opertunity to open up class specializations to accent your basic class. The satisfaction of building the most evil personification of the master of dark magics and going through a ritual of undeath... its an irrational desire that harkens back to my might and magic days. I can't find a way to fill that void anywhere. I can't be the only one who thinks it would be cool if one of the most bad a** producers of RPG's would write this concept into one of there games at some point right? A random thought, for a random post.

Well, D:OS2 is going to include an undead character 'race', so perhaps you will get your wish? Plus you're supposed to get a base in the undead Hall of Echoes. What's not to lich? :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 4 weeks later...

The word "Lich" was used extensively by Clark Ashton Smith as well, back in the pulp era, in his short tales of necromancy.  

Pale master is the closest thing to a lich I've played in a crpg.  Pillars has most of the stock arch-type classes, though not sure a necro apotheosized to lich would fit amongst them.  

I wanted to be an astronaut. Then in high school I discovered beer. There went that dream.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In grade school, I wanted to play Second Base for the San Francisco Giants. But knowing my luck, I figured I was gonna end up with the Milwaukee Brewers. As it turns out, neither scenario played out. 

200.gif

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle