Does anyone know why such a talented developer left the company he helped found?

I have pondered a number of reasons:

• He was working with too many Kickstarters?

• He had a falling out with folks at Obsidian

• Obsidian refused to accept his creative ideas

does anyone have an idea what the problem was?

The circumstances of his departure after so many years, and the subsequent radio silence from Chris and Obsidian is rather strange to me.

I think he really wanted to work on different projects of his choosing and not be tied down to one company's games.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was also some sort of fallout between him and some of the folks at Obsidian, which combined with his desire to create for different games could have resulted in him leaving the company, but that is just speculation.

Owning and managing company can be very tiring work, especially if your interests lay elsewhere, so if you are financially in such situation that you can leave such things behind you and pursue things hat interest you, it can be very tempting thing to just quit things that you don't necessary like that much and just pursue your interests. 

So there wasn't necessary any drama, only that Obsidian seems to be in good place financially now, which opened quilt free opportunity to leave.

• Like 1

I am suprised the fan community has not raised their voice to ask for more information...

I must admit, the characters Chris has written are awesome

It is extremely unlikely that we would get any more information than what we already have. He wanted to pursue other projects and wanted the freedom to pick where he goes.

If there is more to it than that, it is unlikely we will find out.

I am suprised the fan community has not raised their voice to ask for more information...

It is extremely unlikely that we would get any more information than what we already have. He wanted to pursue other projects and wanted the freedom to pick where he goes.

Nor should we...

• Like 3

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Nor should we...

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Whatever it was it is a private affair between him and his former employers, it is none of our business, and unless he wants to share we will never know.  As an aside, a professional like him probably would never want to share that info either as he would know how bad a form it would be to do so.

Why are people asking and posting news about Chris Avellone in the PoE sub-forum? It seems more of a General or a Computer and Console subs material since he had a huge role in Obsidian, not so much in PoE.

There is even a thread about him working on DOS2.

Why are people asking and posting news about Chris Avellone in the PoE sub-forum? It seems more of a General or a Computer and Console subs material since he had a huge role in Obsidian, not so much in PoE.

There is even a thread about him working on DOS2.

There are other (sub-)forums here? :blink:

• Like 1

Many questions were asked, few were answered. There's no official statement from anybody as to the why.

Myself, I don't really care about the why. I just hope whatever he ends up doing, he gets to create something he has full creative direction over (instead of becoming a professional stretch goal / advisor). 

Since we have two threads for this, continue at: 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82371-yay-chris-avellone-working-on-divinity-os-2/page-2

• Like 1