Yay! Chris Avellone working on Divinity OS 2

rheingold

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Now that is interesting!  Kinda proves my theory that Chris leaving Obs was simply because he wanted to be a ninja-writer that ninjs down onto projects he likes. ;)  Cool that fan suggestions caused this meetup, kinda like when fans wish for a crossover between their favourite shows (like Darth Vader invading the Enterprise fantasies some people have).

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

There still some time :)

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

There still some time :)

That's what I mean, thanks to your post and link I remembered to back it before it was too late. :)  Had completely forgot about it and would've missed it otherwise.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Now that is interesting!  Kinda proves my theory that Chris leaving Obs was simply because he wanted to be a ninja-writer that ninjs down onto projects he likes. ;)  Cool that fan suggestions caused this meetup, kinda like when fans wish for a crossover between their favourite shows (like Darth Vader invading the Enterprise fantasies some people have).

He said that himself  quite a long time ago.

He said that himself  quite a long time ago.

Really?  I don't follow their tweets much to be honest, it was just what people were discussing in the thread about it when he announced he was leaving and had not yet given a reason why. 

It was on rpgcodex I think or somewhere. Defo have seen it somewhere.

Ah if it was on the codex then that was probably why I didn't see it.  Okay cool, well that proves it then I'm psychic!  :dancing:

• Like 1

Really? I thought MCA's two character's were the really only above average writing in the game. They had an issue with not connecting well at all with the rest of the story, but conversations where them were the only time the writing ever made me perk up and take notice. I actually don't know how much of an impact he had on the rest of the lore or plot beyond those two. I get the impression it wasn't very much, and if he works on another project, I hope it's with more control over the end product, rather than just writing a few pages of the novel.

But his contribution to PoE was rather minimal. He wrote two characters that ended up being severely downsized compared to his original vision, and little else. In his first interview after leaving Obsidian, when talking about modern-day RPGs, he mentioned WL2 and T:ToN but not PoE.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Excuse me, if I'm not as excited. First, it said, there's a big patch in the making, introducinbg new content, then it said, we're doing a fully voiced rehash of D:OS with additional content, but, oh, we're also make it for console, but you guys having bought the game, will get it for free, real soon, and now it's another kickstarter for 2?

Well, they should make up their minds, as far as I'm concerned.

Excuse me, if I'm not as excited. First, it said, there's a big patch in the making, introducinbg new content, then it said, we're doing a fully voiced rehash of D:OS with additional content, but, oh, we're also make it for console, but you guys having bought the game, will get it for free, real soon, and now it's another kickstarter for 2?

the enhanced edition of d:os will be released around the end of october and will  be completly free for people that own d:os

d:os 2 is a complete different thing

Not entirely sure what you are upset about?

The fact that they are releasing an enhanced edition, the fact that they are making it for consoles, or the fact that they are making a sequel? So far it's all good news for me :)

Edited by rheingold

Lord of Light

I'm not getting it. What are you confused by?

OH SNAP

Also, I'm very pleased to see they hit the 1.65m stretch goal. Maybe people will stop asking for every RPG and its cousin to include a campaign creation toolset now the D:OS2 is finally going to provide dedicated editor support.

I... I really don't know how to feel about it.

If he works on the lore and writes way to integrate gameplay ideas into the story, it's awesome. But don't let him write characters (at least, not on his own).

I don't really get that. Character writing has always been what Avellone does best.

Well, that and just generally tearing existing properties into little pieces.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

OH SNAP

Also, I'm very pleased to see they hit the 1.65m stretch goal. Maybe people will stop asking for every RPG and its cousin to include a campaign creation toolset now the D:OS2 is finally going to provide dedicated editor support.

I... I really don't know how to feel about it.

If he works on the lore and writes way to integrate gameplay ideas into the story, it's awesome. But don't let him write characters (at least, not on his own).

I don't really get that. Character writing has always been what Avellone does best.

Well, that and just generally tearing existing properties into little pieces.

I'm probably in the minority here, but here's my opinion. When it comes to writing characters, Chris Avellone is one of those writers who works best when kept on a leash, or at least working in tandem with another writer (like Colin McComb in Planescape Torment or George Ziets in Neverwinter Nights 2). You take him off that leash and he'll start writing characters that are annoying, unsufferable and unbearable mouthpiece that exist only to be proven right (yeah, I'm still sore about Kreia (I consider KOTOR2 to be the worst game Obsidian ever made) and Ulysses (which hurt a lot since I love Fallout New Vegas)).

In short, Chris Avellone can write great characters (Planescape Torment proved that), but he needs someone to rein him in.