Moedred's Trunk (Voice from the Past quest)

I have done this quest multiple ways now including opening the chest which some people explain doesn't even exist.

I would like someone to enlighten me what is Moedred up to exactly aside from the Voice quest.

I opened the chest and know what is in it and happens.

As in the undead leaps up and kills him.  However I do not understand it.  Is he also a Necromancer?

I figured perhaps that was even Rowyna actually but there is simply no more info even later on in the game explaining this situation at all.

And if the undead kills him no other Dialog options are made available except the obvious ones with Helig.

Can anyone shed some light on this lore/story wise?

The thing which leaps from the trunk is a Wicht, the end result of putting an animal soul into a Hollowborn child. The details are fuzzy in my head, but I remember that Moedred was conducting research on the Hollowborn, and more specifically a way to return Wicht to normalcy. The Wicht in the trunk probably served as an experiment subject for his research. It's not explained if Moedred created the Wicht or if he had someone capture one in the wild.

• Like 1

The thing which leaps from the trunk is a Wicht, the end result of putting an animal soul into a Hollowborn child. The details are fuzzy in my head, but I remember that Moedred was conducting research on the Hollowborn, and more specifically a way to return Wicht to normalcy. The Wicht in the trunk probably served as an experiment subject for his research. It's not explained if Moedred created the Wicht or if he had someone capture one in the wild.

I was just typing the same thing.  In addition:

I personally suspect that the Wicht in the box (like how that rolls off the tongue) may be Moedred's own daughter.  It would give a personal motivation to Moedred as to why he was working on specifically turning Wichts back to normal, as he would be trying to fix his own mistake upon his child, and why he looks at the box in such a way when given the key.  Then again, maybe it was just as you said and he was worried that he would get in trouble if it was found he had been creating wichts.  There is a stash of wichts locked up in the Sanitarium so it does bring up the question why he had one separate in a box.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Those are some of the thoughts I had as well.  However it was not clearly explained even after I allowed certain events to unfold.

I also do not understand what the random non magickal amulet is in the chest by Helig.  Was this an amulet that Rowyna had on her and was linked to Dalton?

I thought it would do something in the quest line having it on me and give me some more lore but I still have it on me and it did not activate anything during that quest.  Not with Moedred, Dalton or Helig.

• Like 1

Those are some of the thoughts I had as well.  However it was not clearly explained even after I allowed certain events to unfold.

I also do not understand what the random non magickal amulet is in the chest by Helig.  Was this an amulet that Rowyna had on her and was linked to Dalton?

I thought it would do something in the quest line having it on me and give me some more lore but I still have it on me and it did not activate anything during that quest.  Not with Moedred, Dalton or Helig.

I wondered about that too, I actually still have it on my current playthrough, will come across it in my inventory every now and again and go "What is this for??"

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I have found a use for the amulet, but I'm not sure if it has any practical use. If you talk to Helig's undead servants, one of them reacts to the amulet and you can give it to them. Helig then pipes in saying that he needs those for menial tasks and that this one will now be useless for a few hours, indicating that (paraphrasing) "clutching to things of the past is never good". I thought maybe that guy wouldn't attack me when I decided to turn on Helig, but no dice. Although it may simply have been because I lost to much time between giving him the amulet and turning on Helig?

On an unrelated note, maybe that discussion should go the spoiled section of the forum, no?

Edited by Sannom
  • Like 1

I have found a use for the amulet, but I'm not sure if it has any practical use. If you talk to Helig's undead servants, one of them reacts to the amulet and you can give it to them. Helig then pipes in saying that he needs those for menial tasks and that this one will now be useless for a few hours, indicating that (paraphrasing) "clutching to things of the past is never good". I thought maybe that guy wouldn't attack me when I decided to turn on Helig, but no dice. Although it may simply have been because I lost to much time between giving him the amulet and turning on Helig?

On an unrelated note, maybe that discussion should go the spoiled section of the forum, no?

Ok awesome.  You were more thorough than I.  This adds a layer to Helig's character as well.

Thanks