"Universal" weapon types in 2.02?

I noticed that all summoned weapons are "universal" weapon types now. 

What does this mean in terms of talents and such. When I summon a quarterstaff with my wizard, is it now not a quarterstaff? Or is it a quarterstaff, and also, say, a crossbow?

What does this mean in terms of talents and such. When I summon a quarterstaff with my wizard, is it now not a quarterstaff? Or is it a quarterstaff, and also, say, a crossbow?

The change was made to allow some weapons to benefit from specific weapon talents.

The change was made to allow some weapons to benefit from specific weapon talents.

So does that mean that weapon focus, mastery and specialization with the knight weapon group will all apply - +6 accuracy, +25% damage  - when I use the Forgemaster's Gloves to summon a Firebrand "universal" Great Sword?

Your answer was a little vague.

I've run some test with Forgemaster Gloves and Firebrand and ... actually in 2.02 weapon focus in this case soldier STILL working and giving accuracy bonus.

With another type of weapon focus(i.e ruffian for firebrand) bonus doesn't work.

So nothing changed compared with versions before... weird patch note in this case.

Edited by Gs11

• 3 weeks later...

Still no real answer?

A google got me nothing but this thread...

The change appears to have been to make summoned weapons get credit from more talents.  They have worked work with every appropriate talent I tried on my wizard chars.  The talents recognize if the weapon is ranged or melee.  (so a melee talent won't work on a summoned wizard wand for instance).  They receive an accuracy bonus regardless if they correspond to specific weapon types listed in the talents (e.g. the accuracy talents).  I haven't tried stacking multipel bonuses though.  

They are still the base weapon type.  Hence a wand is still a wand, but it also a "universal" weapon if it was summoned.  So it can get credit from wand talents (e.g. dangerous implements, blast, etc), and talents flagged to apply to universal types.

If u want to try something particular, just save game, go to an inn, reroll, and attack inn patrons and see if the bonus applies.

Edited by blinkicide
  • Like 1

Still no real answer?

The change appears to have been to make summoned weapons get credit from more talents.  They have worked work with every appropriate talent I tried on my wizard chars.  The talents recognize if the weapon is ranged or melee.  (so a melee talent won't work on a summoned wizard wand for instance).  They receive an accuracy bonus regardless if they correspond to specific weapon types listed in the talents (e.g. the accuracy talents).  I haven't tried stacking multipel bonuses though.  

They are still the base weapon type.  Hence a wand is still a wand, but it also a "universal" weapon if it was summoned.  So it can get credit from wand talents (e.g. dangerous implements, blast, etc), and talents flagged to apply to universal types.

If u want to try something particular, just save game, go to an inn, reroll, and attack inn patrons and see if the bonus applies.

I appreciate the response.

Is there a list somewhere? I wouldn't even know where to start. (not to mention it'd take a while) I mean, of course a wand talent should work with a summoned wand, a two-handed talent with a summoned staff, but I've no idea what sorts of talents the devs decided, "Yup, this talent and this talent should apply to *all* summoned weapons, no matter the type".

I mean, I'm attempting to build a melee wizard using the parasitic staff and I'd like to know what talents that aren't obviously connected to this type were so important the devs created a new category for.

Edited by thebigJ_A

Still no real answer?

This is right.  The bonuses won't stack (e.g. if you're wielding Firebrand and you have two different Weapon Focus talents, you will only receive the Weapon Focus bonus once).

The talents that this affects are Weapon Focus X, Weapon Specialization X, Weapon Mastery X, and the priest weapon type talents.  It doesn't affect any other weapon-specific talent.