Clarification on changing difficulty

Hi, I've searched around and haven't got a clear answer on this.

When you change difficulty in an area a message pops up that says something like "difficulty change apply when you visit an area that you haven't previously visited".

So for example, if I get to the end of a zone and decide a boss encounter is too hard and I want to lower the difficulty can I lower the difficulty and leave and re-enter the area with adjusted difficulty? Or once I've entered an area for the first time it's permanently "seeded" with that difficulty?

Thanks for any responses.

The difficulty level change between Easy and Hard only change the number of mobs, not the AI or their stats. Since you can't lower the difficulty level of a Path of the Damned play through this question doesn't apply in that situation. So, lowering the difficulty level after entering an area doesn't make the extra mobs in that area disappear.

The difficulty level change between Easy and Hard only change the number of mobs, not the AI or their stats. Since you can't lower the difficulty level of a Path of the Damned play through this question doesn't apply in that situation. So, lowering the difficulty level after entering an area doesn't make the extra mobs in that area disappear.

So adjusting the difficulty on a dragon encounter would only change the number of adds spawned and nothing else?

So adjusting the difficulty on a dragon encounter would only change the number of adds spawned and nothing else?
If you change the difficulty BEFORE entering that area. If you don’t, it's the exact same even after turning the difficulty down; that is, until you enter a new map.

There's quite a difference in the number of mobs between difficulty levels. As you kill beasts of a certain type you fill out your bestiary. I might have to go through several maps to fill out an entry on Easy, but completely fill the same entry in a single map on Hard.

Edited by the_dog_days

I seem to recall however if you leave and enter a new map elsewhere (could be a building or separate room that requires a loading page for instance) that once you come back the new difficulty will be in effect (at least according to the difficulty options page) Not really sure about that tho especially for situation at the end of a large area but I think I managed this in the Raedric castle once. (Probably on 1.06)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

• 1 month later...

Searched and found this thread. I just want to make sure, does new "maps" include sub-locations like houses and caves in larger areas?

In my case I entered Ondra's Gift on normal and later changed to hard. Houses I haven't visited yet will load the hard encounters, correct? I assume scripted encounters in areas I visited on normal will now be the hard variant too?

Searched and found this thread. I just want to make sure, does new "maps" include sub-locations like houses and caves in larger areas?

In my case I entered Ondra's Gift on normal and later changed to hard. Houses I haven't visited yet will load the hard encounters, correct? I assume scripted encounters in areas I visited on normal will now be the hard variant too?

Pretty sure once the change has been made by entering a new map then all maps will be at the new level.

Pretty sure once the change has been made by entering a new map then all maps will be at the new level.

It's retroactive? The tooltip when you change difficulty says "Difficulty changes will take effect on any map you have not yet visited".

It's retroactive? The tooltip when you change difficulty says "Difficulty changes will take effect on any map you have not yet visited".

Actually I think it says when you enter  any map you have not yet visited. Thats when the new difficulty STARTS  - once it is started it applies to the entire game unless you change it again (or at least I assume so)

I'm no tech wizard but I assume the reason for this is that the difficulty is changed during the load process to the new map (when other changes related to entering the new map are also occuring ) - so you can't change difficulty without going through a loading screen but once it changes I've always assumed it applies to all screens so yes in that respect it's retro active - it would be pretty odd if you entered a map (say dyrwood) - immediately changed the difficulty - went to a new map (entered a building) and when returning to the old map (Dyrwood) the old difficutly level applied - and then switched again when you left any old map (Dyrwood) for any new map (new building).   :biggrin:  

Actually I think it says when you enter  any map you have not yet visited. Thats when the new difficulty STARTS  - once it is started it applies to the entire game unless you change it again (or at least I assume so)

I'm no tech wizard but I assume the reason for this is that the difficulty is changed during the load process to the new map (when other changes related to entering the new map are also occuring ) - so you can't change difficulty without going through a loading screen but once it changes I've always assumed it applies to all screens so yes in that respect it's retro active - it would be pretty odd if you entered a map (say dyrwood) - immediately changed the difficulty - went to a new map (entered a building) and when returning to the old map (Dyrwood) the old difficutly level applied - and then switched again when you left any old map (Dyrwood) for any new map (new building).   :biggrin:  

Here's a screenshot of the tooltip.

But I think you're right about the difficulty not flipping back and forth. So if you enter a map on normal and later change to hard you won't have 4 camping gear slots every time you revisit.

But it also indicates you'll be stuck with 'normal' enemy encounters even if all you did was pop in and back out again on normal difficulty.

Anyways, this have kind of strayed from my original question about which difficulty version you get with scripted encounters(I assume current setting).