English is not my native language.

Although I understand most words, idioms and more or less colloquial expression, especially those starting with "f", there are still some words I can't even find a useful translation in my dictionaries.

One of these I found today, in the patch notes:

"The alpine dragon is now set never to gib".

As I see when I write this, even the spellchecker of this forum doesn't know this word.

Would someone be so nice and explain it ?

• Like 1

Well, that usage of the word refers specifically to dismembering an enemy with a massive crit.  When that happens, you'll see "hunks" of flesh flying around (unless you have your client set NOT to show that, or you live in a country where that sort of thing is not acceptable in a game).

Now, I would think the term might derive from "giblets" (as used for an informal term regarding internal organs, generally of poultry).  I have to say, that dictionary.reference.com does not address that as a source - and in fact, most of the offered definitions there are.... not germane at all.

Hopefully one of the devs can provide a fuller explanation for you.

• Like 2

Fallout and IE games also had them, Dragon Age might have had them too.

It would be very funny if it didn't, given

dragon-age-origins-blood.jpg

• Like 3

This setting is usually called something like "Gore" or "Blood" in other games.  I've never seen the term "gibs" before but for some reason I guessed the meaning correctly when first loading the game, because I figured it was a shortening of the word "giblets" as was mentioned above.

I'm surprised to see so many people unfamiliar with the term, it has been used for this very purpose for at least 20 years. I guess it's just less common in some circles than in others. Certainly a common term when it comes to FPS's, but I'm pretty sure it was also commonly used on Bioware's old Baldur's Gate forums.

What's the earliest use of gib? I first encountered in either quake or unreal tournament, instagib.

Earliest specific use I can remember was when I played Rise of the Triad in 1995, the game would show a "Ludicrous gibs!" message when you destroyed a bunch of enemies with heavy weapons. But I think the term was already well-established at the time.

I'm surprised to see so many people unfamiliar with the term, it has been used for this very purpose for at least 20 years. I guess it's just less common in some circles than in others. Certainly a common term when it comes to FPS's, but I'm pretty sure it was also commonly used on Bioware's old Baldur's Gate forums.

Yeah, FPS is definitely not my circle.  And although I played BG and IWD I never frequented the forums.  My library is all RPG and ARPG from the last 15 years, and the setting is always called "Blood" or "Gore," if the setting is even there.

The real question here is.  I have not done the Alpine dragon yet so no spoilers but one! Before he was capable of instantly critting someone and killing out right (not knocked out) in one hit? If so that is frightening for my PoTD Trial of Iron run.

Have gun will travel.

The real question here is.  I have not done the Alpine dragon yet so no spoilers but one! Before he was capable of instantly critting someone and killing out right (not knocked out) in one hit? If so that is frightening for my PoTD Trial of Iron run.

No. Gib in PoE refers to enemies exploding in pieces of flesh and blood, when the finishing blow is a crit. The new patch disables this feature on the Alpine Dragon, this being a little silly with it being quiet big, anyway it's a lot cooler to have the body laying there.

Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 1