Matching the 11 gods to the 11 classes

Abydon - Fighter - tempered in life's crucible to be as hard as iron 

Eothas - Priest - life and rebirth seems to be reflected in their ability to heal

Skaen - Rogue - secret plots, rebellions and shadows... 'nuff said 

Wael - Mage - mages immerse themselves in cryptography and mystery 

Galawain - Ranger - Do I really need to explain? 

Woedica - Paladin - knightly oaths and convictions are her domain 

Rymrgand - Barbarian - his domain is chaos, entropy and the inevitability of death. Sounds like a description of Carnage to me! 

Berath - Cipher - Might be a stretch, but since his domain is the movement of souls, rather than oblivion, as Rymrgand's is, this reflects cipher's manipulation of the soul well 

Ondra - Druid - Okay, this one is a big stretch, and only because the others fit so well. It gels well with tidal or water-based abilities, such as Moonwell, but also her relentless personality reflects the relentlessness of natural phenomenon 

Magran - Monk - as a god of trials, their mortification of their own flesh is hugely Magranic (especially if you believe those crazies in the Durance school of thought). 

Hylea - Chanter - patron of song and invention. Fits well. 

Agree/disagree? Alternative ideas? 

Edited by Grimo88
  • Like 2

Looks pretty good to me!  This is the sort of thing I wish the game had outlined in some fashion:  talking to the various priests/priestesses, books, or something....  I always want this sort of game to have a really solid pantheon and world ecology.  With this game, we don't even have a complete world "map" so we know where various areas really are.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good to me!  This is the sort of thing I wish the game had outlined in some fashion:  talking to the various priests/priestesses, books, or something....  I always want this sort of game to have a really solid pantheon and world ecology.  With this game, we don't even have a complete world "map" so we know where various areas really are.

I agree.  Also, I've yet to play with a god-like character, so maybe this is answered somewhere, but I would have liked to see a stronger link between the god-like and the gods that they resemble.  About their origins and the significance of their resemblance to the gods, etc.  Just generally more lore about them would have been great.  With all the plot revelations about the gods I thought something about the god-like would have been explained as well.

I don't like the idea that there is a specific god for each class, feels restrictive to me and prefer the gods to represent more nebulous, bigger picture and abstract ideals that appeals to people of any class.  When you officially (I know no one is doing it here I'm talking generally) assign a god to a class, even if you are still free to pick any you like it kinda pidgeon-holes the classes, putting a certain perspective of a class as the norm rather than as an option, and also pidgeon-holes the gods as well.  I'd like a greater look at the pantheon and how it all works, possibly meeting them in a physical sense like you do with Bhaal in Mask of the Betrayer.  But not in the way the main plot line does it, without going into spoilers I kinda feel they broke some of the potential mystique there. They were definitely done too early in the setting for the 'impact' to be, well, impactful.

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I don't like the idea that there is a specific god for each class,

Associating some gods to favored classes makes sense, but one to one association does not.

An alternate way to think about it is reverse the association.  Like imagining the gods as an adventuring party - what class would they be, what roles would they play?  So instead of saying "all priests are followers of Eothas, all Druids follow Ondra" you can say "Eothas would totally be the priest of the group, Ondra would probably be the Druid, etc."

Edited by Flix

gods that they resemble.  About their origins and the significance of their resemblance to the gods, etc. 

They don't resemble the gods per se. Because no one really know what the gods look like.

I play a Death Godlike, and people make references to Berath when they see me fairly frequently. As for the other 3 playable Godlikes, I'm not even sure if it is explicitly specified which god they are supposed to be linked to (Margran/Ondra/Galawain probably).

Pallegina goes as far as saying she doesn't believe she was touched by or connected to Hylea at all. She thinks the whole Godlike thing is really just people's imagination.

I find it weird there's no dedicated lunar deity like... well, Luna.

• Like 1

Pallegina goes as far as saying she doesn't believe she was touched by or connected to Hylea at all. She thinks the whole Godlike thing is really just people's imagination.

That's interesting.  Like maybe the godlike were always around, a natural phenomena that pre-dates certain historical plot events that I can't mention in a spoiler-free forum.

That's interesting.  Like maybe the godlike were always around, a natural phenomena that pre-dates certain historical plot events that I can't mention in a spoiler-free forum.

Her original words were something akin to "Who knows what the gods think". So she does believes the gods had something to do with it. But she doesn't believe she's connected to Hylea in any meaningful way, just because of her godlike status.

Her original words were something akin to "Who knows what the gods think". So she does believes the gods had something to do with it. But she doesn't believe she's connected to Hylea in any meaningful way, just because of her godlike status.

Ok.  What you said just made me re-think the possible cause-effect relationship of the gods and the god-like, that's all.  I'd elaborate but it would spoil a major late game plot point.

Ok.  What you said just made me re-think the possible cause-effect relationship of the gods and the god-like, that's all.  I'd elaborate but it would spoil a major late game plot point.

Yeah I'm rethinking too maybe I should bring Pallegina and Hiravias (the two skeptics of gods) to the Council of Stars as well. See if that'd change their minds.

I'm also rethinking the Council of Stars mission. Should've brought Pallegina and Hiravias (they are the 2 skeptics) to it. See if that changes their minds about godlikes.

I don't see the point, really. You could just as well match those 11 classes to 11 players of a football team, 11 spacetime dimensions of the M-theory or 11 Academy Awards Titanic won. There's no hidden meaning to be found here.

Edited by Caerdon

For me me, something very intrtesting could to imagine thematic parties linked to each god.

Like a firearm-heavy party linked to Abydon or Magran.

Or a rogue/cipher/Skaen priest sneaky party as a Skaen cult.

Or druid/ranger Galawain hunt pack.

I think this could be very nice build idea :-)

I have a similar thing. My PC is an older death godlike (I imagined him to be an imperfect soul twin of Thaos) and I sort of came up with this party concept of him adopting troubled young godlikes in Caed Nua, Professor X style. I'm even toying with the idea of naming them after X academy students.

I didn't get a chance to take them out for a spin yet because the premade NPCs are maxed level yet. But I'll eventually get a full party of godlikes and no helmets.

I just realized it's ok to use a spoiler tag in this forum, so this is my theory regarding the god-like:

At first I thought, like most people, that maybe the god-like were an after-effect of the creation of the gods by the Engwithans, either a side-effect or intentional to further people's faith. 

But that comment about Pallegina feeling no connection to Hylea got me thinking.  I started wondering if maybe the existence of the god-like predates the creation of the gods, as an unexplained but wholly natural phenomenon.  Then the Engwithans could have based their 11 gods on the perceived traits of the god-like.  This also would have reinforced the "realness" of the gods.

Either one seems equally likely, all we'd have to know is whether the god-like only appeared after the creation of the gods or if they pre-date them.