OSX El Capitain has broken PoE

Kel27

Question

So I (foolishly) installed El Capitain the other night only to discover that it has broken PoE.  When I launch the game all I get is a black screen with the menu music. The game does work if I use CMD+F to switch to windowed mode, but there is also a noticable fps drop since installing El Capitain (so much for Metal). Switching back to full screen makes the game screen freeze (music still plays normally).  

Anyone running 10.11 without any issues? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite.

• Like 1

Wasteland 2: DC uses Unity Version 5.2 and PoE 4.6.

Support for Unity 4.6 ends in december. No more patches afterwards to that engine version. http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/09/16/unity-patch-release-plan/

Obisidan needs to upgrade their Unity version but that's not an easy task and can takes months. And the new version is also not really stable. At least other projects have issues with it.

All of the above is really fine and dandy, but I have a computer that was manufactured in 2013 and purchased a game made in 2015. The two should be able to work together, and if they can't, it's a problem. I understand that it may be frowned upon to "whine" about this- label me the pitchfork and torch type if it pleases you, but this isn't okay. I paid almost fifty dollars for this game, and it doesn't work on my computer within the same year it was published? I WANT my money back. 

Edited by Halcyonview

"Unfortunately it doesn't seem like something that Obsidian can fix. From what we can tell it looks like there is a problem with the Nvidia driver for El Capitan.

The only workaround that we are aware of is to take your game out of fullscreen mode by pressing CMD-F.

We will continue to see if there is anything we can do, but we might be at the mercy of Nvidia and Apple to fix the driver."

Please make sure you change that negative review over to those responsible for this - NVidia and Apple.

Edited by Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Like 1

It does work on your computer manufactured in 2013. Just downgrade back to Yosemite, and only upgrade to El Capitan once the bugs have been ironed out. 

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/delete-el-capitan-go-back-to-yosemite-3581872/ ]

Again: Apple broke it, it's up to Apple to fix it, and it's not fair to blame Obsidian for it.

Have any of you guys even complained to Apple about it? 'Cuz complaining about it here isn't going to help.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

All of the above is really fine and dandy, but I have a computer that was manufactured in 2013 and purchased a game made in 2015. The two should be able to work together, and if they can't, it's a problem. I understand that it may be frowned upon to "whine" about this- label me the pitchfork and torch type if it pleases you, but this isn't okay. I paid almost fifty dollars for this game, and it doesn't work on my computer within the same year it was published? I WANT my money back. 

Well, the hardware is from 2013 but the software not. OSX El Capitain wasn't available when the game was created. So blame Apple / Nvida to fix their software.

You can try to get a refund, downgrade your OS or wait and hope that the issue will be resolved with an OS update / driver update.

Ok we've heard from the fan boys.

Can we please get and update from the Developers ( BAdler) on this? Did Apple / Nvida give you a time line or did they tell you they aren't supporting any updates for the version of the Unity Engine you are using for PoE?

What has the Apple Team had to say over on the Apple Forum regarding OSX El Capitain not being compatible?

There should be just as many, if not more, Technical Support threads regarding this issue than there is here.

We'll work together on this issue @Johnny925. You let us know what Apple had to say, and we'll keep you updated with Obsidian.

Thus far, the latest from Obsidian development is the following,

"Hey, everyone. We have done more investigation. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like something that Obsidian can fix. From what we can tell it looks like there is a problem with the Nvidia driver for El Capitan.

The only workaround that we are aware of is to take your game out of fullscreen mode by pressing CMD-F.

We will continue to see if there is anything we can do, but we might be at the mercy of Nvidia and Apple to fix the driver."

Thankfully, you can still go on an adventure with CMD-F until Apple resolves this issue.

Edited by Sylvus_Moonbow

Sorry guys I think you miss understood.

I don't speak or work for apple or Nvida for that matter. If you would like to check the Apple forums be my guest post what you find their on here if you like. 

I also don't work for Obsidian though it sounds like both of you would like to. Be my guest and apply for a job. Then maybe post an update on the fix.

Also thank you for reposting the Best Answer post from BAdler. I'm sure he will be impressed.

What I think you miss understand is that we are looking for an update from Obsidian  on the Obsidian Forum Page.

I assume they have been in touch with Apple and would like to know long they expect a fix from Appel for their game will take. 

Now please, get your résumés in. Get that job you always wanted and get us an update if you please. 

Hey guys,

We apologize for the delay, we are still looking into this issue, so we haven't forgotten you guys! Sometime things take a lot longer than we'd expect them to. We don't have an exact date when we will have an answer for you all, but I will update you guys once I get word. So please hang tight.

Thank you all for your patience and support.  

• Like 1

Here's a fix for the problem, enigineered by some Jeremy Pyne.  Just tried it out and it worked!

Obsidian, can you implement this fix please? Doesn't seem to have anything to do with drivers, but just some bad screen settings.

Thanks for posting this. I ran the script and it didn't work (I changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 to fit my screen). I decided, however (after implementing the script), to try the ctrl+f method (I think I hit it 3 or 4 times). In doing so, I can now play the game with fullscreen at the resolution I would like. So I guess the script did something?

Here are the specs for my iMac just in case they may be helpful:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Interesting.  I did not run any sort of script, but just using Ctrl+F to switch back and forth the setting eventually "stuck" and I can play full screen (2560x1440)  no problems.  However, I have to do this each time I start the game.

This seems to indicate that is it (possibly) not a driver problem (I have many other games that work fine fullscreen after El Capitan), and that a client update to correct this issue should be possible?

Mac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 780M 4096 MB

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Hello everyone,

I did not have this problem on my MacBook pro running Mac OS X 10.9 (neither on a mac mini with 10.10) until I updated to 10.11.1.

To my surprise, this effect did not appear when directly starting the executable from the command line. I don't have a technical explanation for this, but I confirmed it several times.

When patch 2.3 was released, I switched to using GOG Galaxy and with that the black screen issue seemed to have been solved for me. But now I am experiencing frequent crashes, usually when quicksaving or opening a GUI component.

My player log seems to support the broken Nvidia graphics driver hypothesis.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Telling me that I have to downgrade my operating system is absurd. Saying that it is apple's responsibility to make their operating system work with your game and other games like it is not the solution. This is not their problem. It is obsidian's problem. I'm not a software developer or game designer, but from where I am sitting, it looks to me as though you chose to release a game built on an engine so outdated that it is no longer being supported less than eight months after its release. 

When I email obsidian's customer care by directly clicking the link on their website, this is the return message that I receive: 

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

support@obsidian.net

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain obsidian.net by mx1.obsidian.net. [64.147.18.54].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.7.1 Message rejected as spam by Content Filtering."

Someone from Obsidian please contact me in this thread or by private message with instructions on how to reach your company to request a refund for my purchase. 

Hello Halcyonview,

I understand your frustrations, believe me. I am the Mac tester here and I have to test in windowed mode everyday. If there was a fix we could perform, we would have definitely done so already. But the game is still very playable, its just inconvenient to not play in fullscreen.

support@obsidian.net is the correct support email, so I'm not sure why you are having difficulty trying to send emails to our support email. 

To update everyone on the issue. Unity is aware of the issue and it is confirmed on their end. We have an open ticket with Unity and spoke to their QA Team. They have send it over to the Developers. We haven't received any information on when they will have a fix in. 

If you would like a refund, you will have to contact our publishers over at Paradox Interactive. I have provided a link for your convenience.  https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc/en-us

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you all for being extremely patient with us. 

Aarik D - thanks for the post.  Being the Mac tester, are you able to get the game to run in full-screen by doing a CMD+F toggle multiple times until it "sticks" on full screen (as i posted above)?  And if so, what does that tell you about the source of the problem? Thanks!